Login required to post replies

should I buy a Computrainer?
Quote | Reply
if no, what else for winter workouts?

if yes, why? which package? advice?
Quote Reply
Re: should I buy a Computrainer? [graigcone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say buy a powertap or ergomo, a fluid trainer, and some TdF DVDs. That way, you'll still have power come spring. The whole video game / race real courses aspect of CT I think is overrated, at least at the present level of technology. The load generator is nice, but you can get a good workout on a reg trainer with spinervals or just by playing around with watts.
Quote Reply
Re: should I buy a Computrainer? [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Anyone else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a computrainer and rarely use it. The setup John recommended is better in my opinion. Since purchasing a computrainer I have purchased a PowerTap; now it's just easier and faster to use my fluid trainer than it is to setup the computrainer and it's cadence and HR wires. Plus the computrainer always runs the risk of over heating.

I'm going to be selling my CT if you are interested.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: should I buy a Computrainer? [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use PowerTap to train indoors, outdoors AND race? How easy is it to switch the hub out between wheels? Can you use it to help fine tune your position for power (obviously doesn't factor in wind)? Is the hub touchy or pretty maintenance free?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you use PowerTap to train indoors, outdoors AND race?

Yes, I built two wheels; one for training and one for racing. If I were to do it over again I would get an Ergomo or SRM.

How easy is it to switch the hub out between wheels?

Pretty easy if you know how to build wheels, have time and both your race wheels and training wheels use the same spoke count.

Can you use it to help fine tune your position for power (obviously doesn't factor in wind)?

Yes, if you have the patience to ride with tools and stop to make adjustments.

Is the hub touchy or pretty maintenance free?

Yes.

Quote Reply
Re: should I buy a Computrainer? [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should add that in my opinion there is no better way to dail in your possition than to have real-time power messurement while riding in the real world. A CT doesn't change the angle you are riding or the wind blowing against you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You might consider a Tacx imagic trainer, or the newer VR trainer Tacx is coming out with. Costs about half as much as the Computrainer and does most of the same stuff. Actually the Tacx graphics are much, much better than Ctrainers.

-jens
Quote Reply