Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

shoe laces
Quote | Reply
Hi-- I'm new the forum so I apologize if this has been covered recently---- but what is the best running shoe lacing system for quick changes--- I have tried Yankz and I like them-- but the elastic laces make my shoes so tight that my feet do not exactly slip into them. I have tried lace locks-- but they seem to slip and I can't keep my laces tight enough with them--- Any suggestions?

Also -- what if any tools do most people carry on spring and olympic distance? None at all-- or tube, levers, and CO2? or ???

Thanks in advance for your help
Quote Reply
Re: shoe laces [chainring711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Yankz are the best. You have to count on spending some time making some adjustments and re-lacing them, until they're just right, etc...but once you get them just right, there is nothing better. I have them laced into my racing and training shoes. I can't imagine using any other system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agreee with tripoet. It takes some time and adjustments to get them right, but once they are right there is no reason to change them. I just ordered more to put into some of my regular hanging-around shoes since my feet are so comfy in them.

Things to note -

- they are close to not working for my feet since my shoes are a size12 and I almost run out of elastic.

- I don't pull too long of a loop out the top for attaching since I like to have more give through the rest of my shoe and need the length

- I have worn my yankz on runs up to 18 miles, hill & tempo runs, short runs, rain, mud, hot, cold and have not had any problems with my feet feeling loose in the shoe, or with the laces coming undone, and have not had blister problems whatsoever.

Best of luck in the fitting process - fit is important in the bike, but it is also important in footwear.

Peace,

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The velcro lace straps work the best for me. I carry tube, bars and CO2.
Quote Reply
Re: shoe laces [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with the velcro lace straps--- what are they and where do you get them. I like the Yankz-- just don't save any time using them.
Quote Reply
tools [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tools for the bike

Tube, Levers, CO2 head, 2 cartriges... (never know)

This should take you up to olympic level... higher than that you may consider two tubes, and whatever else strikes your fancy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to echo tripoet and Josh_MN on the Yankz, they're great. I've got them on both of my current pairs of running shoes and there definitely is an adjustment period to go through.

On Josh_MN's comment about his size 12s, I think it is going to depend on the combination of size and width. I had more than enough lace for my size 14s but I have fairly narrow feet.

I've also tried Speed Laces but didn't like those nearly as much. Even though you're using a toggle, you still have to loosen and tighten. With Yankz, you've converted your shoe into a slip-on.

Rusty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use the bungie shoelaces from the Yankz system and discard the plastic stuff--too much hastle. Once you've figured out how tight you want them, just tie a knot and burn the ends to prevent fraying.

For any race, I carry 2 c02 cartridges with adapter, one tube (for clincher), one tiny patch kit (in case I get 2 flats), 2 tire tools, and a compact set of Allens---same stuff I carry on any ride. Having a breakdown during a race without supplies is a major bummer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are talking about Speed Straps- www.speedstrap.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the yankz for years and loved them. I do konw what you mean about feeling tight because I always seemed to love the yankz when they got worn in. Last year however I tried New Balance's 920 tri-shoes. They have regular laces but have them designed with some elastic where you cans slip right in them in T2. These shoes are light, fast, and breathable as well. I don't know if you are set with the flats you have right now but I would sure give these a tri.

Carry on your bike what you would need for the worse case scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
being cheap, I bought 5 yards of oval elastic from Wal-mart for a couple of bucks, cut it to length, and used that for laces. I put a lace-lock on after the initial adjustment so they can easily be tightened if necessary. This works great for me, can set the lacing loose enough that it's easy to get in. If there's a problem on the run, can tighten up with a single yank- but I haven't ever needed to do that. I wouldn't do trail runs with the elastic laces, but they're fine for dirt roads.

Carry tube, levers, patch kit, and plastic (lightweight) frame pump. I like to finish, don't believe the 10sec I might save by not carrying tools will make any difference to my MOP placings..
Quote Reply