Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike
Quote | Reply
what's going on with the Crowie new bike thing? Are posts being removed that correctly ID the new bike? If this is true it's disturbing to me. If not paint me red and parade me around the interwebs.

I find it strange that as a journalistic outlet and an open forum Slowtwitch would suppress information coming out about the new bike, if true, especially when it was a pro triathlete riding along that leaked the photos to begin with, in other words information that was essentially in the public domain. Follow that with Leanda Cave's tweet and then all the questions and ideas on ST this whole affair seems to be industry generated. It's not as if ST members underhandedly or illegally got the information by violating whatever bike company it is privacy.

I also find it disturbing that the default reaction of many ST posters is to respect this as if it were the norm to .... living in fear of getting banned and therefore voluntarily not posting information once the ID of the bike was figured out. I also find it very disturbing that if someone were say, in Kona, and saw the bike *in public* we would still be expected to respect the censorship going. I'm disappointed that there hasn't been more questioning about this. I'm disappointed is us as a community.

Dan, if you're reading, I know that what I'm about to say amounts to a hill of beans, but I'm becoming concerned with this and other recent similar situations regarding censorship. We just had a long discussion about ESPN and how they are embedded with the sports industry the supposedly report on and how that is wrong and lessens their journalistic integrity. If the things I'm perceiving are true, it feels like the same thing, and if so is rather hypocritical.

If all of this or any of this is true, I'm happy to accept that ST has lowered their standards of integrity, but I would ask that you not mandate that I do the same with mine.

thanks,
Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't online last night, but if what you said is true, then yeah, disappointing and hypocritical.

As Speedracer said in another thread, "I am over it. It's really gotten to be a bunch of BS!! He's out IN public riding the damn thing yet it can't be seen on the Internet. Horseshit! It's a bike for crying out loud."

Unless people are getting the information in some illegal way, deleting it is crap. The guy is riding the bike in public. Is all of this just a way to make the sport and product release seem more important than they really are?

It's a freakin' triathlon bike, not the new iPhone.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suspense = Site hits = $$$

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Last edited by: hillier99: Sep 29, 11 3:00
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you talking about? Both threads have been going feverishly and there was no censorship of identification or otherwise. The conspiracy theories in the forum have become a joke on twitter and this one is a good new one.

If we pull stuff it is either spam or offensive stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, the bike has been correctly identified among the endless numbers of theories and guesses, and I still see those posts there.
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh that is good to hear Herbert. I for one had faith in the fact that Slowtwitch would do the right thing.

Looking forward to seeing the formal announcement and article about how Mr CA and his association with his bike sponsor for several years (the one that he rode to all of his world titles) has ended and he will be sponsored by a certain American cycling brand also ridden by another certain Australian who may or may not be on not so friendly terms with Mr CA. :)
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert, that data is incorrect. A picture of it and it's identity were revealed in the "Crowie spotted on a P5" thread last night and the post was removed and those that saw it were asked and warned NOT to post it again.

If you go to the thread you can see the chatter of those who saw it and their fear of posting the pic again. I too have the pic, but was sworn to secrecy as not to provide the image.

There is definitely some miscommunication going on around here.
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cat is out of the bag now. Picture is posted in both threads.
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1
If that is the case, then post the pic and then we will all see if it remains up. If in fact you go quiet afterwards then everyone will know what you have said now is correct and why would you care if ST banned you? I for one wouldn't want to be involved in a forum that was censored in such a way, nor should anyone.

Hopefully, you post, it stays up and Herbert and the ST team can hold their heads high that the forum truly remains a forum that allows freedom of speech. Isn't after that what the USA is all about? :)

I have seen my post that alludes to whom Mr CA has signed with stay up so I have every faith in ST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Care to elaborate? Who swore you to secrecy? I saw the original post of that pic and watched the resulting conversation unfold and I don't recall anyone saying not to post it again, just people worried they might be banned for posting it due to the fact that it disappeared.
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [TriZoeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, got to the the thread I referenced above and look at the last couple of pages and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Go to the 3rd and second to last page.
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [borncrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops--maybe I should have read the rest of this thread before doing a quote that had the pic in it.

----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If at first you DO succeed, try to hide your astonishment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen. Last night was ridiculous. Really poor decision making by the mod who did it.
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [borncrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a PM last night on the subject and I'm guessing the original poster of the pic did as well. The entire post that had the pic is gone as well, not edited. That and the posts last night on the matter kind of make it hard to believe someone on ST wasn't doing some moderating.
Last edited by: SpeedRacer1: Sep 29, 11 4:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the pic. It is all over the Internet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

guest_wa

Sep 29, 11 4:25

Post #201 of 212 (295
SpicedRum

Sep 28, 11 21:51

Post #167 of 212 (802 views)
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [SpeedRacer1] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

did a post just disappear? One that showed a bike with the exact painted lines as the bike Crowie is riding?

Either someone went through a lot of trouble to make it look like another bike or it is the other bike.

I change my previous opinion.

[/url]
Quel

Sep 28, 11 21:52

Post #168 of 212 (790 views)
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [SpicedRum] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I saw it. Or we were both hallucinating.

It was pretty fugly. But fast is beautiful too I guess.

[/url]
dfru

Post #169 of 212 (789 views)
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [SpicedRum] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I saved it but to heck if I'm posting it and risking getting the boot!

Brent
DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!

[/url]
rideharder

Post #170 of 212 (787 views)

That was one good lookin bike...!!!

[/url]
simpy16

Sep 28, 11 21:53

Post #171 of 212 (774 views)

Yes I saw it too. Crazy looking!!!! Way crazy... There is some fishy stuff happening here right now.

[/url]
SpicedRum

Sep 28, 11 21:54

Post #172 of 212 (765 views)
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [Quel] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

The painted lines matched perfectly to the lines in the picture of him on his bike.

[/url]
SpicedRum

Sep 28, 11 21:55

Post #173 of 212 (757 views)
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [dfru] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

ah.

[/url]
slorunner

Post #174 of 212 (754 views)
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [dfru] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

dfru wrote:
I saved it but to heck if I'm posting it and risking getting the boot!

Brent
looks like the debate is settled, for those of us that actually saw that post at least.

[/url]
JBell

Post #175 of 212 (750 views)

I can't believe I missed it. I was just in this thread... some guy 'sandwich' said he found a pic on the site?? I thought it was a hoax, so I moved on... who posted the actual pic?

[/url]
simpy16

Sep 28, 11 21:56

Post #176 of 212 (1520 views)

I think we just saw what is in the box...I know fear they are after us. Going to lock my doors and hide til daylight.
views)

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was all over the internet before it was all over Slowtwitch. It should have been the other way around. Despite people actually having pics and trying to post them, we were last to see. I assume those pics were ones actually taken *in person* in Hawaii, which is even worse.

Well if it wasn't Herbert, then who was it?

Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [TriZoeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as the OP of this post, I'm not advocating for "freedom of speech", per se. I acknowledge that this is Dan's site, and much like the US Army, which I'm a member of, there isn't absolute freedom of speech on the board. This is Dan's board and we play by Dan's rules.

Having said that, when I monitor a thread and notice posts getting pulled, IN REAL TIME, about something so innocuous I get offended and concerned. Offended because, as a frequent reader I invest time and thought into my posts on this board, and also have met one of the Mods in person and spoken by email to two others; this kind of action does not match up with what I have observed in person or by email.

Concerned because I see a trend. The action, taken by itself, is what it is as they say. But over time, and perhaps with more frequency recently, I have perceived there to be an increase in post and a decrease in forethought as to the need to do so.

It doesn't sit well with me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a certain Specialized sponsored mod patrolling the thread at the time. Whether he deleted the post or the actual poster did, who knows (besides the mods obviously:)?

Honestly, Slowtwitch is just more pro-industry than most "enthusiast" websites (for lack of a better term). I don't think Slowman would disagree, based on what I've seen him post. In most cases, that works to our benefit to have that sort of inside access. But in a select few it may not. I think most people have accepted that, which is reflected in the type of posts that followed the deletion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:
it was all over the internet before it was all over Slowtwitch. It should have been the other way around. Despite people actually having pics and trying to post them, we were last to see. I assume those pics were ones actually taken *in person* in Hawaii, which is even worse.

Well if it wasn't Herbert, then who was it?

The pic that was posted and immediately removed is the same one that is all over this forum now.

Here is the link to the pic from the post that was deleted: s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/9500

The post also included a pic of the current shiv at this link: s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/9499

That web address is used by Specialized.com for all their bike photos. Just go to any bike in specialized.com and right-click on the photo to get the address.

s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/6813 - Transition Comp
s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/6812 - Transition Pro
s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/9400 - some other specialized bike

It seems the OP is pretty close to specialized since the new shiv hasn't hit the main site yet, but somehow they knew the web address of the stock photo.

I was one of the few that saw the original post but did not receive a PM or any other communication asking me not to re-post the pic.
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bartturner wrote:
Here is the pic. It is all over the Internet.

Putting aside the discussion at hand, the only thing I'd like to say is "Damn, that is one sweet looking bike. I don't really care how aerodynamic it is (which it probably is). I love the lines on it and much nicer looking than any Specialized to date. Add in the Candy Apple Red and we have a real winner.....As a 45-49 mid life (OK, past midlife guy), I get kicks out of seeing really hot cars that I really don't want to spend $$$ on and really nice looking fast bikes. Even though I ride a Kestrel, I say, this one is a winner in the aesthetics department!!!"
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [slorunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slorunner wrote:
It seems the OP is pretty close to specialized since the new shiv hasn't hit the main site yet, but somehow they knew the web address of the stock photo.

That's the pic of the Shiv that I see when I go to the main US site (and it is at that link). Been up there for at least a couple of days.

I'm competing against my current fitness level, and planning to kick my a**!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This doesn't sit at all well with me either. I thought I was losing the plot when I saw the pic and it seemingly dissapeared before my eyes.

Poor form is that. Not cool at all.
Quote Reply
Re: secrecy and censorship with regard to Crowie's new bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Really like to see it with a Disc and a deeper front.

But there are many that hate it. It is interesting that there is such strong differences in opinion on the looks of these super tri bikes. Personally, I think they all look incredible. Specially with a disc and deep front.

I have never been able to figure it out. With girls it is easy. My type is fit blonds. Not into the curves. But with the bikes I just don't get what people see. Well mostly on the negative side. The P4 is a perfect example. I believe the consensus on the forum is that the P4 is ugly. I do not really get why.

I also think there is possibly a hurd factor. Part of the culture of this forum is to say strong statements. I wonder if many do not really have such a negative feeling about a particular bike but to "fit in" on the forum post how ugly something is. Or I just don't get it. Which is very possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
What are you talking about? Both threads have been going feverishly and there was no censorship of identification or otherwise. The conspiracy theories in the forum have become a joke on twitter and this one is a good new one.

If we pull stuff it is either spam or offensive stuff.

Herbert half of one of the threads got deleted in the last 10 minutes, so some is quite well censoring it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next