Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM
Quote | Reply
Virtually everybody runs in the tri-suit now when virtually nobody used to. Why?
IMO the newer tri suits that fit nice and snug and are wrinkle free and aero, are less comfortable running. It takes <30 seconds to change. Any good reason why virtually nobody does it?
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be running in a Speedo and singlet.
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pee breaks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the things I like about Triathlon is that you can apply your own logic and come up with a slightly different way of navigating the sbr than someone else does. Personally I don't like running shorts with built in briefs. For pure running I use shorts with a compression short type inner because they don't irritate. A tri short is more like that so I'm happy to keep them on the whole race. But I don't like running in a tri top so for a longer race I take the seconds to swap for a running vest. I don't care what others do, I prefer racing that way.

Having said that at the front of the race they will try and save every second and probably just man up and get over what I'd find a bit annoying.

You are absolutely right to try and figure out why others choose their way but I'd always give yourself the option of trying something else if it makes sense to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure that it must be comfortable for the pro's otherwise they would change. I believe Lionel Sanders still changes into shorts and top for the run and I don't recall him being slow in transition. I would say just do what you feel most comfortable..why should you run a marathon with discomfort? 26 miles of discomfort is no fun.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same thought. So I got some tri shorts I start the race with. Switch to aero bike jersey top in t1 for the bike, then switch to tank top singlet in t2 for the run. No doubt in my mind it's a good deal cooler in the singlet. It may take a tad longer in t1... But not any more time in t2 because putting the singlet on can be done while moving. The only downside is that you look just the slightest bit different and people might say "I should have done that" on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still remember seeing Jasper Blake hauling ass through Penticton in shorts and singlet and wondered who was out for a training run on the race course.
2006 winner.

Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
please do it. grow a mustache first too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it more comfortable to run in my tri suit than anything else. I don't have to worry about chafing, putting on sunscreen in hard to reach places (I burn when I stand in the sun for 5 minutes), can pour water on myself / be sweaty without my clothes feeling heavy or causing more chafing, etc etc

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
Virtually everybody runs in the tri-suit now when virtually nobody used to. Why?
IMO the newer tri suits that fit nice and snug and are wrinkle free and aero, are less comfortable running. It takes <30 seconds to change. Any good reason why virtually nobody does it?

My nipples would bleed if I wore a singlet. I think the opposite of you, I wonder why marathoners don’t run in tri suits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my only ironman in a trisuit. If I do another one one day I’m changing into shorts and a singlet in T2. Much more comfortable to me.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would run all the time in my tri suit if it did not look so ridiculous. No waistband. Same reason I wear bibs when I ride a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done my last two IM runs in tri shorts and a singlet. Very comfortable, but pretty exposed sun wise. Kona is up next, and I think I’ll keep the trisuit on.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
DBF wrote:

My nipples would bleed if I wore a singlet. I think the opposite of you, I wonder why marathoners don’t run in tri suits

I'm completely with you on this one.

If it is cooler out I will often train and race (running races) with a tri top under my running singlet.

Totally worth it to prevent nipple chafe.

Maybe I should start wearing a sports bra (this should only be partially pink.....)

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMLP in T1 I saw a guy strip completely and change into a cycling bib and was immediately jealous... I'm going to start packing a bib just in case. The others I've raced never had a place to get fully nude (outside changing in a portapotty in T1), but I'm sure he was happier on the bike than I was in my tri shorts and added 15 seconds.

The lesson is to do your thing!
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [Foolless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the pros run in Speedos + singlet / sports bra (eg. Tim Reed winning 70.3 Coeur d'Alene https://www.instagram.com/p/BzYgL85B-VY/). I am far from being a pro, but I do run and bike in tri shorts and a sports bra (and I am a male). That is what I prefer. Main drawbacks: getting seriously sun burnt

Tri suits may get more popular on the run as the material is getting thinner, lighter, etc.

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:
I had the same thought. So I got some tri shorts I start the race with. Switch to aero bike jersey top in t1 for the bike, then switch to tank top singlet in t2 for the run. No doubt in my mind it's a good deal cooler in the singlet. It may take a tad longer in t1... But not any more time in t2 because putting the singlet on can be done while moving. The only downside is that you look just the slightest bit different and people might say "I should have done that" on the run.

Agree 100%. Age groupers worry about wasting 5 seconds in transition changing into something comfortable for the next long leg....foolish if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird, I must be in the minority. I find a trisuit totally comfortable to run in and actually prefer the thinner chamois over, say, my Assos bib shorts for riding in aero on a split saddle.

Just did Norseman where it is pretty conventional to get changed and raced the whole thing in my trisuit.
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was concerned about this and was thinking of putting on a bib and cycling racing jersey for the better chamois but I didn’t with no I’ll effects at whistler

I also thought I’d prefer shorts and singlet for the run but again didn’t change

End result I I didn’t even notice a change in comfort by staying in trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IM, I opt for a tri top and tri knicks.

Comfortable, no chaffing, easy if you need to visit a portaloo.

At most stages of the race, I have something stashed in my tri top pockets. Food, glasses, etc. I'm pretty sure if I peeled off a trisuit to take a dump, something would fall into the crapper.
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
Afg53 wrote:
DBF wrote:

I'm completely with you on this one.

If it is cooler out I will often train and race (running races) with a tri top under my running singlet.

Totally worth it to prevent nipple chafe.

Maybe I should start wearing a sports bra (this should only be partially pink.....)

Just put some tape on your nipples.
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Weird, I must be in the minority. I find a trisuit totally comfortable to run in and actually prefer the thinner chamois over, say, my Assos bib shorts for riding in aero on a split saddle.

Just did Norseman where it is pretty conventional to get changed and raced the whole thing in my trisuit.

Me too. I usually put shorts and run shirt in my T2 bag just in case, but I've only ended up getting changed once out of 5 IM's, and that time I felt completely overheated, trisuit was soaked from me pouring water on myself as well as caked in salt, etc...

Also, to the person who said Lionel gets changed, I don't believe this is the case. He always seems to be in his garneau 1 piece trisuit during the run at every race I've seen. Same for almost every other pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
, are less comfortable running.

That isn't always the case especially when its hot and humid. Shorts rub more than my tri-suit does and on a hot race that matters. My tri-suit stays in place where shorts bounce, move, wrinkle, and rub in places where body glide can't reach. Ouch!
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

Also, to the person who said Lionel gets changed, I don't believe this is the case. He always seems to be in his garneau 1 piece trisuit during the run at every race I've seen. Same for almost every other pro.
Kona - 2nd place finish: he changed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

Same here. Well, I wear a top and shorts, but I own mostly tri shorts and do all my cycling in them. #1 to be used to it, and #2 it has gotten to where regular shorts with the big pad feel like I'm wearing some sort of diaper. The tops do a great job of wicking sweat away, and tend to stay "attached" to my body, so little to no chaffing. I even do my bricks in my tri shorts, I just like them better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next