Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

running fitness improvement and average HR
Quote | Reply
just wondering what other people's experiences here were like: besides obviously being able to run faster at a given HR, did you also notice that as your fitness improved you were also able to hold a higher HR than you were before? (say, when you were 'unfit' holding 160bpm was very hard, but now you can hold 170 no problem although it's definitely uncomfortable).

I'm wondering if fitness has an impact on max ave HR that one can sustain or if it's just a matter of improving one's capability to deal with the pain/discomfort that comes with running at a higher HR.
Quote Reply
Re: running fitness improvement and average HR [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I've noticed that I run faster at a lower average heart rate now. I'm not able to get my heartrate as high as I once did when I was unfit and 40lbs heavier. At a recent 5K that I also did in 2003, I was 14 seconds faster with an average heartrate that was 10 beats lower AND I had run 10 miles the day before - in 2003 I only swam the day before.

I'd be interested in what others have experienced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm only just starting to run, but I've found my HR is lower. On the bike (where I have much better fitness from a lot more experience), and overall, it is DEFINITELY harder to get/keep the HR as high was when I started. 185bpm was no biggie a year ago, and I could sustain that for an hour+. Now when I get to 180, it's a big deal and I'm counting down to the end of the interval/hill, etc.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When biking, I have to work very hard to get my heartrate up over even 130. OTH, whenever I start to run/jog, my heartrate shoots up over 160. If I take a short break (30 seconds), it drops quickly down to the high 130s/low 140s. Is this normal (Monk, don't even think about it!)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: running fitness improvement and average HR [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ask an actual fitness/tri related question and no one responds with any feedback.

oh well, here goes...

Tom's posts are self promoting and should be moved!

No, Tom, don't leave!

You suck!

You're a jerk!

Stop the war!

You're unpatriotic!

Power cranks!

Rotor cranks!

Clinchers!

Tubulars are for real racers!

Quote Reply
Re: running fitness improvement and average HR [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be able to get your HR up when on the bike. I am guessing you need to do some more cycling, especially at tempo speeds. Maybe you aren't strong enough to tax your aerobic system on the bike.

My HR will typically drop from 160 to the high 120s after one minute when I stop. 160 seems a little high for a quickly achieved HR, but if you are a young turk with a high max HR, maybe not. When my running fitness is poor or it is very hot, I get over 160 quickly too.
Quote Reply
Re: running fitness improvement and average HR [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my running fitness sucks, but it's getting better. I've tried different appraoches to bike workouts and no matter what I do, it just doesn't get that high, unless I just sprint all out. OTH, my monitor could suck, too. lol

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have inquired about this on several occassions and here's my take.

The answer is you will definitley be able to hold a higher HR for a longer duration as your fitness increases and yes, part of that is due to your body adapting to the higher stress levels you have exposed it to by training. I noticed the phenomenon you are referring to a few years ago when I realized that I was holding higher HRs for sustained periods of time, but not feeling the effects as bad as I once did. My take away is that if you observe this happening, you are adapting to the higher stress levels AND your fitness is increasing. You must be doing at least part of your training properly

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply