Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

run drills to increase glute activation to avoid hamstring strains
Quote | Reply
Is it true that active glutes are key to avoiding hamstring strains? Even if it is partially true, are there run drills to increase glute activation to avoid hamstring strains? I've heard the other biggie would be nordic hamstring exercises for ham strength in particular. TiA
Quote Reply
Re: run drills to increase glute activation to avoid hamstring strains [lombardi3g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weak glutes can cause havoc all over the place. If you have trouble activating them, or finding them during a run, then do some glute exercises before you run. Google them. Once your hamstrings are burning from those exercises, go for a run. You will be able to locate them quickly. Adjust posture, leaning forward or back, rolling hips forward, poking out butt, trying to find what works for you. Easier up a hill with correct posture. You can also try simply squeezing them while running. Not with your hands, put tension in the muscle :)

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: run drills to increase glute activation to avoid hamstring strains [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
. Not with your hands, put tension in the muscle :)

Oops. No wonder I get funny looks...
Quote Reply
Re: run drills to increase glute activation to avoid hamstring strains [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
timr wrote:
. Not with your hands, put tension in the muscle :)

Oops. No wonder I get funny looks...

I wouldn't try to activate a stranger's glutes in that way, either; no matter how much you think it may help [not without a video of consent, and possibly a waiver of some sort, anyway]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: run drills to increase glute activation to avoid hamstring strains [lombardi3g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*Unabashed self promotion alert*

We put together a few videos for our athletes for exactly this reason. A lot of videos have a super long intro with the personal training talking about them and their business. I give my athletes these routines weekly and so I wanted to record a quick video they could reference without having to watch all the extra fluff. The goal was to have a few different sequences that could all be done in 3 minutes or less. Pick and choose a different one on different days or do them all before if you have time.

Short activation

Torso activation

Glute activation

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
This basic two move activation has been helpful for me before runs.

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=3rs7m052cduh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lombardi3g wrote:
Is it true that active glutes are key to avoiding hamstring strains? Even if it is partially true, are there run drills to increase glute activation to avoid hamstring strains? I've heard the other biggie would be nordic hamstring exercises for ham strength in particular. TiA

The Nordic Hamstring exercise is the way to go. After many years of hamstring strains, I totally eliminated my problems by a month of Nordic curls. You will need a band to assist at first and you likely will be very sore at first but it is worth it. In Europe they have instituted these for soccer players with phenomenal results.

The glute activation thing is rubbish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the standard running drills and strides will do the trick. The key is to use them. It’s good practice to warm up 5 minutes, do the drills and strides then start your run. Search on YouTube for Running Form Drills. You’ll find many. Do at least 3 drills every time you run. And then do 4 strides. If you do it correctly the drills put your body in proper posture without you thinking about it. The strides drive that posture into your running form. It’s nearly impossible to execute strides without activating your glutes.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply