Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

rules vs. respect
Quote | Reply
Hey all. i have my first tri of the season coming up in april and was simply deciding on what bike to use for race day. as i'm mainly into off road racing and the absolute fun aspect of it (even tho i'm not too shabby of a competitor) the race i'm doing is a road style sprint race. i'm considering doing it on either 1) my single speed. it's a converted trek 1000 w/ a 39/11 gear configuration with only a front brake, no rear brake. my first question is, would it be illegal to race without a rear brake? (it would be easy enough to switch it back to a geared bike and put a rear brake on it, but single speeds are more fun :) 2) or i'm possibly considering doing it on an old 1950s style schwinn cruiser bike that has one of the big headlights on it! on this bike, i would likely wear cut-off jeans and an un-buttoned hawaiian shirt to keep things fun. considering my outfit, would it be disrespectful to wear this to a race, where admittedly i would beat many newbies and could possibly discourage others. my intentions are to race on the schwinn, but do not want to be disrespectful to the spirit of the race nor do i want to discourage others from racing by beating them on a super shitty bike. you make the call! :)
Quote Reply
Re: rules vs. respect [dirtrunr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In our area they wouldn't allow you to race without a rear brake. The old cruiser idea is great. A guy did IMLP that way several years back and gained cult status.

I did a sprint tri one time where a guy ran the entire thing in a clown's outfit because "it's all about having fun" and placed 3rd in AG

It's your first tri so enjoy yourself. You'll be hooked after it and buying a P3C for the following year. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha, sorry, i guess i wasn't clear in my post. it's definetly not my first tri. i just downgraded my road bike to make a cool commuter, hence the fact that i'm without a certified road bike ;) but thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad. Have some fun and do it any ways. Too many people take themselves way too seriously.
Quote Reply