Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

roof or trunk carrier
Quote | Reply
Now that I have kids and dog traveling with me, I cant put the bike in the back of the car (van now) anymore.

I drive the super sexy, exciting and ubiquitous Honda Odyssey minivan.

(I dont have a hitch, but I'll get one eventually once kids have bikes going with us)

Who has opinions on a roof vs. trunk carriers?

Leaning towards roof and getting a Thule Outride, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: roof or trunk carrier [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would highly recommend just putting a hitch mount on now- will end up saving you in the long run. A quick look on etrailer shows installation to be easy for the Odyssey. You might be surprised at how much you use a trailer hitch once it's on there.

https://www.etrailer.com/...19_Honda_Odyssey.htm ( you obviously need to enter the correct year for your car)
Quote Reply
Re: roof or trunk carrier [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just sold our Odyssey after 14 years of phenomenal service. We never had either (were always able to pack in back). But I would recommend d hitch rack over roof. The Odyssey is tall, and loading bikes on the roof is hard. Trailer hitch is a breeze.
Quote Reply
Re: roof or trunk carrier [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For anybody with a roof mounted rack, there are those that have driven under a low roof and those that are yet to and don't know it yet. From a safety/accident viewpoint get a hitch mounted rack (and yes I speak from bitter experience, no damage to bikes but did damage car roof when roof rack was knocked off).
Quote Reply