Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

rollers or computrainer
Quote | Reply
My biking is bad and by far my worst event. Even at a sprint tri I could only avg 18mph. I have determined 3 problems (at least) 1. my bike was way poorly fit when I got it--fixed that one, 2. My legs are weak, 3. My pedal stroke is not efficient and I am a big masher. Sooooo,

I am wondering if it would improve my bike more to get a computrainer and work on building strength as well as analyzing my stroke with the spin scan or to get rollers. I was all set to go with the computrainer but the guys at the bike shopped that saved the day on my fitting told me that they thought improving my spin stroke was more important than getting stronger (and that even rollers without resistance would improve my strength, anyway). They claim that rollers will do the most to improve the pedal stroke since if you aren't efficient, you will fall off the rollers.

So here is where I need to decide. Certainly the lower price of the rollers seems nice but would it be a lot better with the computrainer?
Quote Reply
Re: rollers or computrainer [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're only averaging 18mph, I doubt smoothness of stroke is the only problem. You need to generate more power.

I vote for the computrainer, but only if you learn how to use it. Otherwise, it's just a really expensive trainer.

If you wanna try rollers, borrow a set and see if it helps. If you can't find some to borrow, maybe you can find a used set out there somewhere. I bought some cheapo nashbar rollers a few years ago. They're no kreitlers, but they worked.
Quote Reply
Re: rollers or computrainer [OWEN_MEANY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you learn to use the computrainer correctly? Will the manuals tell me what I need to know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can ask lots of questions at the Racermat Forum http://68.115.203.26/phpBB2/index.php

To get the most out of a Computrainer you need to focus on training by power. That is, to do specific sets of intervals at specific power levels. There are lots of different sources for particular workouts. My coach, Michael McCormack www.triathloncoach.com is a big believer in the Computrainer. He has me doing short, focused workouts on the CT. It's amazing the amount of work you can get in an hour in the morning, when you are stopping for lights etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How do you learn to use the computrainer correctly? Will the manuals tell me what I need to know?
Either hire a coach or read up on training with power (this will take more than reading the computrainer manual). It takes a lot of work to figure all this out, so you can decide which one is the better investment for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what the other posters have written about CompuTrainers vs. rollers. One other thing to consider is what type of bike you're riding. If you only have a tri bike you would definitely want a CompuTrainer. Tiding rollers on a steep angled tri bike would probably be difficult, definitely harder to learn than on a standard road bike at least. If you have a road bike and a tri bike then you have more leeway in your decision making process.

The spinscan feature on the CompuTrainer would probably help smooth out your pedal stroke but you need to focus on it and don't get the constant feedback like you do on rollers.

-Darrell

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Re: rollers or computrainer [Darrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have a road bike (and am very inflexible so the fitter says I shouldn't even think about getting aero until I can get flexible enough to lie flatter without discomfort).

Is it true what they said about doing rollers automatically improves your pedalling efficiency?

AG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get good rollers and a good fluid trainer for less than a computrainer. That'd be my suggestion. CT is mucho deneros. It's a great tool, but for that price, I'd recommend rollers/fluid trainer UNLESS you will be doing LOTS of indoor training. Then having the interactivity of the Computrainer can be a lifesaver...

Kinetic trainers have a reliable power curve and for $50, you can get a little computer that gives your wattage on it. It is an approximation, but certainly accurate enough for workouts assuming you have a consistent method for tightening down the unit and keep consistent pressure in your tires.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You also have to remember than you need an accessible computer to hook the CT into. That has been one of the main reasons I have not gotten one--no good place to ride and hook up the computer.

Rollers are great, but they definitely take a lot of practice. Also, I don't know that you will immediatly be a better rider if you have a "more efficient pedal stroke".

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: rollers or computrainer [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With rollers, you'll have better balance. And you'll ride a straighter line. That is guaranteed savings in terms of energy (balancing the bike, especially with deep dish wheels) and guaranteed time savings (weaving left/right/left/right DOES add up over any race, even if you are just wavering a little). Practice on rollers will make you faster...

As somebody mentioned, the big limiter is that riding on rollers in an aeroposition is certainly not even a novice or intermediate level skill. And training inside in your race position is critical, hence supplementing rollers with a fluid trainer.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: rollers or computrainer [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< And training inside in your race position is critical, hence supplementing rollers with a fluid trainer. >>

Or not. I NEVER ride on my trainer in race position. Never, not ever. That's what outside rides are for. I don't need to "practice" getting a sore neck ;-) (or a sore taint) Of course, YMMV*. And - I do realize that you would prolly destroy me on a bike split, so everybody can take my input with a coupla pounds of salt.

I do 110% agree that just having rollers alone would be suboptimal for overall training, but not for the reason that you give. A trainer is way more versatile than rollers. (and I know we're both huge fans of the Kinetic, and with good reason - that thing totally rocks!)

* If somebody was doing most or all of their bike training indoors, then yer right - practicing race position would be very very important. Boy - would that suck <shudder> - especially on rollers.

PS - you can do skill drills on a trainer too: one-leg drills, spin-ups, high cadence pedaling, etc - these will all help you pedal better and smoother. You don't necessarily need rollers for that. So - you could just get a good trainer (cough - Kurt Kinetic, cough cough) and use that and train the hell out of it and get much better at everything. Except balance. And bike handling. And... all the other stuff you can only do outside.

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Jul 12, 05 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not true that you need a computer for the CT. Personally, I find that using the CT in "ergo" mode is the best way to build cycling strength. In ergo mode, you dial in the wattage, and the CT sets the resistance to ensure that's what you are generating. Change gears, change cadence, it doesn't matter. If you set 200 watts, you're going to turn 200 watts.

Gradual, consistent and systematic increased wattage, along with gradual and systematic increased time riding at power will produce excellent results.
Quote Reply
Re: rollers or computrainer [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] Not true that you need a computer for the CT. Personally, I find that using the CT in "ergo" mode is the best way to build cycling strength. In ergo mode, you dial in the wattage, and the CT sets the resistance to ensure that's what you are generating. Change gears, change cadence, it doesn't matter. If you set 200 watts, you're going to turn 200 watts. [/reply]

Really?!?! I thought you always had to have it on a computer. What's the difference between ergo mode and regular? That's really cool...

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, one does not need a computer. The CT can be used stand alone.

I like to use my CT with NA software and do online riding with others.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Simpleton Stevie I also just use the ergometer mode. I actually have an old computer hooked up as well but its never used (it does a great job of collecting most of the dust in my garage).

IMO, ergometer mode is the reason to own a CT. The only variables that matter are power and cadence (cadence less so).

ot
Quote Reply
Re: rollers or computrainer [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that is very interesting, thanks for the info. I'm going to have to reasses the CT option. It might be just the ticket for the thousands of trainer miles that are sure to be coming next winter.

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It might be just the ticket for the thousands of trainer miles that are sure to be coming next winter.

Ironically, you won't easily be able to measure miles in ergometer mode :). Your 'speed' is completely dependent on the gear you choose to ride in and the cadence you ride at (since resistance is the same in 'any' gear and cadence).

ot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO, the most important thing about choosing a trainer is choosing what will keep you motivated the most.

I tried a computrainer as I thought I would really like the features, racing against myself, building courses, etc. But what I realized was that the best for me was to get on a normal turbo/resistance trainer, put in a TDF DVD, and do my own interval workout.

I'd guess that 90% of people who buy computrainers probably don't use all the features, and just use it for eye candy. If that works for you, then great. Computrainers seem to retain their value rather well, so if you get one and decide its not for you, you can sell it. I believe computrainer also offers a 30 day no questions asked refund policy, no?
Quote Reply
Re: rollers or computrainer [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh yes, but if I have a rear-wheel pickup for my cyclo-computer, then I've got no worries!!

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming you are stuck inside a lot during the winter (otherwise I'd suggest gobs of "real" riding as being a far more important component of improving your cycling than either rollers or a CT)...if you are seriously considering spending $1300+ on a CT, then why not get both - a good used set of rollers would probably only set you back another $150-200. Rollers are terrific and will really help your pedal stroke but can get tedious for longer indoor sessions, it's harder to stand up, takes a while to get to where you can ride them on the aero bars, etc. The variable, programmable resistance of the CT is nice, and it's also a way of measuring progress...keeping in mind neither will magically make you a good bike rider, they'll just improve certain aspects of your riding toolkit.
Last edited by: skip: Jul 12, 05 18:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of both worlds (?) - Rollers with resistance (Kreitelr with head fan or the old American Classic rollers) and a power meter of some sort? David K
Quote Reply