Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

road bike aerobar setup
Quote | Reply
oh if only i could have a tri/time trial bike. in the meantime i have to make do with a roadbike.

is there any advantage with having the short aerobars on a roadbike. i got profile carbonstrykes or whatever on mine.

how much difference would a real tri bike make?
Quote Reply
Re: road bike aerobar setup [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For TT's a really steep(78-80) angle isn't likely that important since they don't have to run after. TT'ers run around 75 or shallower, albiet the rules regulate this. You can easily get 75 degrees or so on any road bike just by pushing you seat forward on the rails and/or using a neutral seat post. Aero bars are a must. I wouldn't go any steeper than this on a road bike as it will affect the handling.

If you want short bars also have a serious look at John Cobb's "big slam" position on a road bike. It can work for some people. described here.

http://www.bicyclesports.com/Slam_Setup.html
Quote Reply
Re: road bike aerobar setup [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use to have both a Cervelo P2k and a KHS Flite 2000 road bike. During the '03-04 seasons, I raced on the both bikes (road & triathlon) and trained almost exclusively on the road bike. I realized that I didn't really get enough out of the Cervelo so I decided i might as well get a really nice road bike and sell the TT bike.

So I sold both and ordered a Calfee Luna. I was using some cut Syntace C2s until FSA released their TT mini clip-ons. The new FSA short TT clipons are the PERFECT aerobars for road bikes. The best part is that even with the clip-ons and some Zipp 404s, the bike weighs just over 15lbs.

In short, I found the Cervelo P2k very comfortable but it felt differently from my road bike and the change was noticeable each time I rode it. I am very happy with my Calfee with clip-ons and until I become a major contender, I think my multi-purpose road bike is perfect.
Quote Reply