Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

racks/panniers
Quote | Reply
or whatever you call 'em. I'm in need of a little educating.

I'm going to do a couple of one nighters this summer where I ride somewhere, spend one night in B&B/hotel and ride back. So, about all I need is a change of clothes and a pair of shoes and whatever I can negotiate the wife down to. I have a very light weight internal frame pack for backpacking that even has a hydration bladder, and my original thinking was just to use that. However, that will be hot as hades and probably affect handling pretty drastically, so I'm investigating other options. I will be traveling on a standard steel frame road bike, 55 cm Scwhinn Peloton FWIW.

Input?
Quote Reply
Re: racks/panniers [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just mailed my clothes to the hotel/B&B and mailed them back, very easy.

Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rear panniers will not fit on a racing frame the chain stays are too short and you heel will hit the panniers. I tried this with my old Schwinn Tempo. So instead went to a flat rack that mounted around my seat post. Then I bungied my stuff to that. Worked great, was even able to ultra light camp with this set up. Delta is the rack maker, just found it in the nashbar catalog. Stock numbers (2 models) DC-PP, DC-PH hope this helps.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: racks/panniers [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on Jim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also the seat stays may not have the holes in which to screw the rack brakets into, as well as holes near the dropouts to screw the rack onto the frame. most road frames don't rack compatible. i second the idea of the flat rack that will attach to the seat post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a seat post rack with a bag on top. a lot of the bags expand up quit a bit. pack light (shorts, t-shirt, sandals, rain jacket). wash your bike clothes at the B&B. I used to do a four day trip in one bag and one laundry stop. the more bags you have the more clothes you will bring that you don't wear. Don't forget a couple of tubes.

and have fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Rivendell website for their luggage options; kinda retro, but tough and works great.
Quote Reply
Re: racks/panniers [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks guys. Got one of those seatpost jobs from Nashbar for less than $40 today. 25 lb capacity, so that should keep the packing light.
Quote Reply