Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
quick poll: who until reading ST, who has never heard of Andrew Coggin?
Quote | Reply
I have read em all, Friel, Costill, Burke, Carmichael, Byrn.....etc...etc...BUT, until reading ST I am oblivious to Coggin, anyone else?
Last edited by: jdavis1040: Jan 26, 05 19:22
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [jdavis1040] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you train with watts?
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST, who has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [jdavis1040] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right here.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, I have been doing this shiznit long enough that my body knows when to push and when not to. I call it train and race by "feel"
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't, and therefore I hadn't heard of him pre-ST.

better known as rate of perceived effort (rpe), but you knew that because you read friel, et al.
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or as Roy Benson would say, "perceived exertion". yeah, thats it.
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST, who has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [jdavis1040] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a regular reader of the forum, and know very little of him.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [jdavis1040] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bravo. bravo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have actually known Andrew for many many years, even though we have never actually met in person. I have talked with him over the course of years on a couple of different forums, RST, the wattage list etc.

I have even raced against him in a duathlon or two (and beat him every time) but have never met him face to face. I have a deep respect for him and the work that he does. How many people get to make it their life's work trying to find ways to make people faster and are as deeply passionate about it as Andrew is. We have a couple on here that we haven't run off yet.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST, who has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a couple, Mike, but give it time...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have known of Andrew and have deeply respected him for more than a decade.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I first heard of him seeing his posts on some of the bike newsgroups a few years back, but I didn't know who he was or his educational background until I learned it here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still don't know any Andrew CoggIn on slowtwitch...is he famous or something?
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST, who has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois,

Just a poser who posts under the psuedonym Ben Weiser.

That ought to drive out his background for all those who are unfamiliar with his contribution to cycling and training.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST, who has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep I know...

Andrew CoggAN not Coggin...that was a vague attempt at trying to have the correct spelling...I guess I am sensitive to this having my name scorched here and there...but apparently even 'good ol' names' are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i only know of him from gordo's forum plus i've read his excellent articles on training with watts at cyclingpeaks. guy knows his shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You missed a book where you would have heard of him "The lore of running."

I hadn't heard of him either until I starting reading it.

Dr. Coggan (let's call him Andy) is cited often very often in the chapters where the author is setting up his "Central Governor Model of Fatigue". Coyle and Coggan's studies on carbohydrate loading and carbohydrate ingestion during exercise are a major building blocks of Dr. Noakes' model of fatigue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a lot of people here train with Watts. No, never heard of him. I train alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COGGAN... and yes, he has always been very active in the internet forums, back in the days of Usenet and now here and in the gordo forum.

He's a very good scientist with a sense of the real world. I read everything he writes because yes, he is ALWAYS right. Why? Because basically he doesn't shoot his mouth and REALLY knows his shit.

He's got a peculiar personality, but who am I to criticize that, LOL...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: quick poll: who until reading ST, who has never heard of Andrew Coggin? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am sensitive to this having my name scorched here and there...
We appreciate the effort Francis.

I first came across Andy's academic work in the early 90's (his papers with Coyle on carbohydrates). Have run across him from time to time ever since. I have never met him in person.

What I appreciate about Andy's input to these discussions is the fact that (unlike 99% of coaches and athletes), he follows the scientific method when reaching his conclusions. That is, we have to take our cues from what we actually observe in nature, not what we "wish were true." There are plenty of conjectures about everything from training to feeding to aerodynamics to pedaling mechanics.

Andy takes care to treat these conjectures as what they are -- mildly informed guesses. They don't rise to the level of fact or even theory until they have been tested, peer-reviewed and then replicated.

Nature is the ultimate judge, and the controlled experiment is the courtroom. The most plausible and well-argued idea in the world is just a guess until somebody sets up the apparatus and observes the results. It's as true in physiology and sport as it is in physics.

A good read is any book by Michael Shermer (RAAM co-founder and editor of Skeptic magazine). Shermer can help even the most die-hard anecdote junkie understand how the real process of seeking truth works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long before. I believe it was Texas A&M in 1997. Geez, we're getting old.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all the hullabaloo about him, I'm trying to forget he ever existed (in a ST way, at least).

Besides, the only power I'm training with is will power.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have, "read em all", but there is only one person in that list you provided deserving of being lumped in with AC. I'll let you figure out which one.

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next