Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

question re bike, being overweight and ironman
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Was wondering if you could help me out re my training for the bike portion of the ironman. I have gone 5hrs 56m on an ironman distance course - not hilly.

My main training was going out on the bike once a week from November to July. For the first few months I went with the local cycling club for a 2 1/2 to three hour ride (about 17/18 miles an hour). Then when they went very fast for the next two months I went out on my own for 3 to 4 hours. Afterweards when they slowed down again (in-season) I went with them for 3 hours and done 1 to 2 hours afterwards myself.

In April, May and June I might have gone out a second time during the week for about 1 hr to 2 hrs.

Thats all I did - no interval, no big ring, no extras - just cycling.

I weight about 210lbs and am 6ft with about 20% ody fat or just a little under.

So two questions:

1. How would u structure the training over the next 7 months to improve bearing in mind that with winter I can only get out on Saturday (3/4 hrs)and Sunday(for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs) as with small kids and apartment a turbio is not realistic.

2. How big an improvement could i see by dropping the excess weight.

I know they are generalised questions but would appreciate any help - my cycling background before this was pretty non existent.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: question re bike, being overweight and ironman [j sampson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify- you're training to ride the bike portion of an Ironman race seven months from now? (As in, you're not doing the swim or run?)

And you can only train on Saturday and Sunday? (As in, you can't train at all during the rest of the week?)

I'm not being snide, just wondering if I understood that right. If that's the case, I'm not sure. I would think it would be hard to devise a training plan under those conditions. On the other hand, it seems to have worked for you OK in the past, so what do I know?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race cyclocross in the off season.

I am a little lighter 198 and 5'11". Last year due being in a new area I didn't race cross at all and I believe that my cycling fitness suffered. I raced cross the two years previous and my weight decreased and bike speed was at an all time high. Once I started to ramp up the longer stuff in preparation for Ironman I had the leg strength and fitness to go long.
Quote Reply
Re: question re bike, being overweight and ironman [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though it does occur to me that if you're training time is very limited, and you're overweight, you could maximize what little training you can get by losing the excess weight. Maybe you can consider a diet part of training.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump. I'm curious about what people think about this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once a week is not enough. You must devise some sort of realistic training program, coupled with a reasonable diet; then deal with the family variable. You will have to sit down with your loved ones and explain to them - this is a goal you have, one you would like to accomplish - with their help. Have them cheer you over the timeframe (you set) in pursuit of your cycling goals (e.g., X miles < 3 hr or hill climbs with the Cat 2-3 squirrels; take a look through the ST archives for training programs. Two months ago, Men's Journal published its annual 'Train like Lance' article.). Have your family keep track of your eating habits, get them to buy you an indoor trainer; join a 'spin class' maybe? Consider Yoga or Pilates, even.

Weight loss is what you accomplish, not everyone is the same. You need to set a weight loss goal of X pounds by X date, and stick to it. If you stick to your goal, the weight will drop.

Good luck with your program,

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply