Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

question for xc skiers
Quote | Reply
What distance on skies would be comparable, time wise, to a 5k run? Please state wether your are talking about classic or skating. This has to do with our virtual race for the holidays.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: question for xc skiers [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,

For myself it is actually quite close if you are talking classic vs running. For example 30 km over hilly terrain takes me about 2 hrs on classic skis which breaks down to 15 km/hr or 20 mins for 5 km. Obviously shorter distances will be faster but I would say that a 6 or 6.5 km classic ski would be close to a 5 km run (again for me). Skating is much faster and would have to guess an equiv distance would be closer to 8 or 9 km.

hope this helps and happy holidays,

robert
Quote Reply
Re: question for xc skiers [RAinBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, I am going to take all the ones I get and kinda do an average. That way we can have s ski option for the folks that want but I can lump the results in with the regular Du results.

Jim

Quote Reply
Re: question for xc skiers [RAinBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I though Bjorn Daehlie did like 10k in 22 minutes or so?
Quote Reply
Re: question for xc skiers [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a difficult question to answer because xc ski pace is drastically affected by snow conditions (temperature, texture, moisture content, grooming, and on and on). With great snow conditions, a classic pace might be comparable to running on a slight downhill grade with a 20 mph tailwind. With poor snow conditions, a classic pace might be comparable to running in soft sand or up Mt Washington into a 30 mph headwind (a bad day of xc skiing beats a good day of anything else). I haven't searched for race results, but if I did, I wouldn't be surprised if I found results for world class Men's 10K classic ranging from 20 min to 45 min. Same level of competition, just different snow and course conditions.

Regarding skating vs classic, I'd guess that skating generally runs about 20% faster, however, once again snow conditions would have a big impact on this difference on a given day.

Seems very tough to compare to running as a substitute in a multisport race.
Quote Reply
Re: question for xc skiers [Wags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, maybe I'll split it into a seperate division.

Jim

Quote Reply