Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

question for swimmers
Quote | Reply
I'm doing an open water swim in the morning and was just notified that the one day USMS that I'm required to purchase is a whopping $27!!!! Is that correct? How is it that USAT charges what $9 for a one day for an IM distance race and USMS gets to charge me $27 for an hour-long swim?

Its a little odd to pay $40 for an event and then have to shell out and additional 70% of the event fee for a one-day license.
Quote Reply
Re: question for swimmers [kytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That $27 is a pro-rated form of the annual membership fee which would normally include the $20 national dues, plus the $15 local masters swimming committee fee. It's not a just a one-day license. I think USMS is like some other national amateur sports organizations in that they don't always have 1 day memberships, so yes, it is a lot extra to shell out if you only plan on doing one event.
Last edited by: Uncle Phil: Aug 4, 06 21:07
Quote Reply
Re: question for swimmers [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not quite correct.

Each Local Masters Swimming Committee (LMSC) sets its own policies regarding one-event "registrations". Some of the LMSCs do not offer one-event registrations at all. The ones that do set their own prices...this one just may charge $27 for a one-event registration, while it is usually lower in other LMSCs. It is also not unheard of for an LMSC to charge a different one-event registration charge for different events in the same LMSC.

I believe that the national USMS organization collects $2 for each one-event registration.

Later in the year, what Uncle Phil states is true. Beginning September 1st, LMSCs offer reduced-price memberships that expire on December 31st...and the reduced price is generally a pro-rated value. Again, however, each LMSC sets their own registration prices.
Quote Reply
Re: question for swimmers [ea6bnfo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should have said it was possibly a pro-rated annual fee. There are some LMSCs that pro-rate before September 1st. I was using Indiana as an example (which might be where his swim meet is ?), which charges $27 after July 1 and $21 after September 1 and is normally $35.
Quote Reply
Re: question for swimmers [kytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, quite ridiculous.

I am not sure what leads local masters swim committees to do this, but Virginia is a similar fee. Meanwhile, the actual events themselves are usually dirt cheap. LIke $3 for a local swim meet.

The reasoning is beyond me.
Quote Reply
Re: question for swimmers [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got back, and wanted to clarify. There was a typo in the prerace email. It was the USA Swiming license that was $27. The masters one day was indeed only $10.
Quote Reply