Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

question for Boulder folks
Quote | Reply
What's the safest/most direct way to get down to Golden on a bike? I don't really care about scenery, just want to be on a road that's not too crazy traffic-wise.

On topo, it looks like 93 is the most direct route, but I'm not familiar with the roads south of Boulder..

thanks,

David
Quote Reply
Re: question for Boulder folks [kytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are people that ride 93, I have not and I know my wife would not want to know if I did ride that road. Its two lane, 55mph limit (realistically 65+ for most folks) and in many places does not have much of a shoulder. People (myself included) generally drive fast on that road and there is usually a lot of traffic (at least whenever I'm on it).

I honestly don't know of a "good" way to get to Golden from Boulder as 93 is the only way I've ever driven. Sorry to not be more help,

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
93 is probably the most direct, and do I see bikes riding there all the time. It is, however, a road with a lot of traffic moving at up to 60-70mph, narrow and sometimes nonexistent bike lane, and usually strong crosswinds. I can't think of any alternative, though. That's probably the reason for all the traffic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
93 is HORRIBLE in spots just South of Boulder. As you get past Rocky Flats it is not too bad, but I would recommend taking Marshall Road to McCaslin Boulevard in Superior, proceeding South to 128 (up the Morgul Bismarck climb 'The Wall' made famous in American Flyers and a part of the old Coors Classic) taking a left at the traffic light at the top, then an immediate right on Indiana Street. Indiana is not super wide but is much less travelled than 93. Turn right on 44th Street once you are already in Golden to get toward downtown. Alternately, turn right on Leyden Road and take it to 93 and continue on to Golden, having avoided the most dangerous parts.

Maybe others have better routes? I've done both and they are not perfect, but worth it to avoid the narrow parts of 93 where cars regularly speed at 70+ mph.

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't take Indiana either as it has absolutely no shoulder. I would take McCaslin up to the top of the Hill (I think thats 128) then turn left. The next street past Indiana is much quieter (at least on weekends) and I think its is called Simms?

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: question for Boulder folks [kfc_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Indiana isn't great. I've used it because it is less travelled and generally slower car speeds than 93. Simms could be good.

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Re: question for Boulder folks [GDNenn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like a nice ride, i think i'll do it right now...

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: question for Boulder folks [GDNenn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the stretch down to Golden will be the end of the ride, I'll be leaving Fort Collins, going up to Estes, down 36 into Boulder and then to Golden for the night. Not sure about anything called the 'Wall' at that point in the ride. ;)

Thanks everyone for your advice.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Up Flagstaff to Walker Ranch

2. Take the Walker Ranch Loop trail to the Crescent Meadows trailhead

3. Take a left on Gross Dam Road

4. Take a left on Coal Creek Canyon

5. Take a right on Twin Spruce Road

6. Left on W. Gap Road

7. Enter Golden Gate Canyon State Park

8. Descend Buffalo Trail

9. Left on Mountain Lion Trail (try not to break anything on the descent)

10. Right on Burro Trail

11. Emerge onto Drew Hill Road, take a left

12. Left on Belcher Hill Road to White Ranch Open Space

13. Climb Belcher Hill Trail

14. Straight onto Mustang Trail

15. Left on Belcher Hill again (what the heck)

16. Right on Maverick

17. Right on Longhorn

18. Straight on Shorthorn

19. Left on Longhorn

20. Right on Whippletree

21. Left on Belcher Hill

22. Exit White Ranch; ride south on Pine Ridge Road

23. At the end of Pine Ridge Road, you are in Golden.

Not the most direct route, but perhaps the safest.
Last edited by: furpants: Oct 23, 06 12:43
Quote Reply
Re: question for Boulder folks [furpants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice climb to start a ride!!! I'm guessing this is not your normal commute. I lived in boulder several years ago...brings back some memories (and pain).

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Re: question for Boulder folks [stevezelinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nice climb to start a ride!!! I'm guessing this is not your normal commute.
Um, no! But I have done the ride described above in reverse, with some minor changes.
Quote Reply
Re: question for Boulder folks [furpants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insanity...now that i live in the relatively flat lands of PA, I can't fathom it. I used to do it too, but it was a struggle. I applaud you!!!

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply