Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: proposed forum upgrades [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if this has been requested or not, but a link to the forum from the training log. You can go to the training log from the forum, but to get back to the forum, you have to go through the home page.

My 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Pink button.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mobile version is absolutely the #1 feature Im looking for.
Slowtwitch is probably the last forum I'm following on a regular basis on a computer.

See the iphone app "quora". They did something amazing for mobiles.
I hope ST can do something similiar :)
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
Slowtwitch is probably the last forum I'm following on a regular basis on a computer.

What is with all the mobile version requests?!?! I despise mobile versions of websites, one of the most frustrating things in the world is constantly getting defaulted to mobile versions of websites. I literally can't think of a single mobile site I have ever liked at all. It is especially frustrating when a site won't even allow you to view a desktop version on a mobile device, that is a site killer for me. There are multiple sites I refuse to visit for that reason alone. If you absolutely must make a mobile site for some unknowable reason (there is nothing wrong with the real internet), please make it something you have to choose, dont force it down our throats. Or at the very minimum allow us to choose a desktop site with ease and permenantly.

One upgrade that would actually be useful is a color coding system for the age of a post. It is amusing when someone comments on a post which they dont even realize is a year old, but it gets annoying pretty quickly. Maybe have posts that are a week old have a light green background, light blue for posts more than a month old, and light red for posts older than a year.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the current version of the site is unreadable on a phone without constant zooming in and excessive scrolling. Especially if there is a photo somewhere in the thread.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A photo can screw it up occasionally, but I read the forum almost exclusively on a phone just fine. You pinch to zoom when you get to a page, then you read until you go to the next page. It's not hard at all. I am on a phone right now. No problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe your phone is better than mine.

the point is that a well designed mobile version would eliminate the pinching and excessive side to side scrolling.

Dan seems to be pretty big on getting the user experience right, so I'm sure you'll still be able to use a desktop version of the site if you prefer. Just because you don't think it is a big deal doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer a mobile version.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it on my iPhone 5 or my google Nexus 7" Android tablet, both are fine. I concede Safari is not a good browser for viewing the site, chrome is much better, but it is still usable. I am just trying to understand what is preferable about a mobile site. I literally can't think of a single one I've ever used that was preferable to the desktop version. Most are completely unusable. But if Dan makes it so I can permenantly choose the desktop version that is fine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a shitty 3" screen on a cheap LG android. it is painful to view this site.

However, the phone is cheap, works reasonably well for everything else I do, and is damn near indestructible. I don't want to "upgrade" my phone just to be able to view one website.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
A Pink button.

This would actually be really useful.
It's one of those "oddly specific, but it works for our needs" type of things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tulkas wrote:
tamiii wrote:

What is with all the mobile version requests?!?! I despise mobile versions of websites, one of the most frustrating things in the world is constantly getting defaulted to mobile versions of websites. I literally can't think of a single mobile site I have ever liked at all. It is especially frustrating when a site won't even allow you to view a desktop version on a mobile device, that is a site killer for me. There are multiple sites I refuse to visit for that reason alone. If you absolutely must make a mobile site for some unknowable reason (there is nothing wrong with the real internet), please make it something you have to choose, dont force it down our throats. Or at the very minimum allow us to choose a desktop site with ease and permenantly.

One upgrade that would actually be useful is a color coding system for the age of a post. It is amusing when someone comments on a post which they dont even realize is a year old, but it gets annoying pretty quickly. Maybe have posts that are a week old have a light green background, light blue for posts more than a month old, and light red for posts older than a year.

Agreed and in that case I should have said a mobile APPLICATION, not a mobile VERSION. So that it gives the choice to the user whether he wanna keep browsing the non mobile version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tulkas wrote:
I am on a phone right now. No problem.

Don't drop it in the toilet

That reflects badly on all of us

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are the updates coming along?

Also is it too late to request that you keep the ICQ number as an option for our profiles? I find that feature super handy.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the one thing i know that is coming along apace is the rate at which i'm paying the development bills for it. that part has kept pace.

i believe we will have an interim forum change very soon, maybe this week. one change that helps me, a lot of changes that help you. but even then it's just interim.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ongoing dev costs? Are they rewriting existing forum software? Why not go with a new/modern open source forum platform (https://en.wikipedia.org/...ernet_forum_software ) and migrate the existing database to the new format (to preserve user accounts and posts)? It'd be faster to do, cheaper, and would probably result in fewer bugs/quirks in the end.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we have waaaaay too much data to risk the migration.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Main Index button should go to the Forum Main Index, or put a similar button. Currently we have to go back to main page to change from LR to main to classifieds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A button to snap a photo from mobile devices and automatically post it on the specific forum topic .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
we have waaaaay too much data to risk the migration.

It is not really a risk. Existing database can be left as-is, and the data migration builds new data structures for the new forum. It's a copy rather than a move. This can be done by restoring backups of the existing databases and then working on that copy. That way the live forum is untouched.

You can even test drive the new forum by installing new software, it has new empty(ish) databases right? Then do data migration. The new forum software probably has tools to do that. Insert the existing data into the new databases. You got a copy of Slowtwitch! Running on new software. See how it all works. Work out issues, bugs, etc. Then do it again to go live, but this time shut the forum off or at least make it read only, so no posts are lost in the migration.

Edit: path to back off the changes and go back to the old forum should be available any time in the upgrade process. The parallel forum with a test migration from backups, then a live migration, will do that. The only downside is you'll temporarily need double the storage (disk space) but disk space is cheap.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Sep 8, 15 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the huge bulk of what i'm spending is not forum upgrades, it's the rest of the site and that's where things get a bit tricky. the forum is going to get a big upgrade, but i've also got to keep everything associated with it that's already custom. there are two very nice forum packages, off the shelf, they're mobile friendly, but they lack a lot of the customization we've already done to the current forum software. i don't know that backfilling new software with everything that we need is that different than altering existing software to be responsive to viewport size.

honestly, there is a second element to this, which is what we do when there is a problem. we have a team that fixes and upgrades this platform, and i'm more interested in the team than in the tactical decision of whether we alter existing software or customize new software.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

I don't know if it's a little late in the day for new ideas on what upgrades to include on the site, but one thing I've found recently that I think could be relatively easy to improve/solve would be to be able to "tag" your country when posting an ad in the classifieds and then make Ads filterable by this tag.

I realise that this is a North American dominated site so many users will not have found the current set up to be an issue, but for those of us who are from elsewhere - and I gather that we are a growing minority - it can be difficult or time consuming to quickly see which ads are applicable/workable for us.

Liam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this was already suggested, but I'd like the ability to 'follow' a thread, get notifications, without having to have posted in it and have someone reply to my post.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to the top of the thread, click "watch thread". Done
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't you have told me about that like 5 years ago?!!? lol....duh...
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be warned. It notifies you of every post. Not just the good ones ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next