Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: proposed forum upgrades [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Search returns threads, not posts
2) Better spam - avoidance (captcha when creating new thread)
3) Easier image & video embedding
4) Prevent people from writting inside a Quote-Tag

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I like that 'Triathlon Babes' Facebook page. Can we get a forum devoted entirely to hot chics?

And the 'like' button too in the forum.

Ohhh and if I come on here pissed of a night & make some dumb-arse comment I wanna be able to delete it whether on or not some twit in Texas has quoted it.

;)
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

AJthomas mentioned some great features, especially #6. I also volunteer to help select those who get voted off the island. I disagree with no Aussie Thursday. I like Dev even though I disagree with Dev 42.7% of the time (And yes I used the search function to figure that out Motherfuckers!), plus he was voted 2x ST poster of the year so that should give him some immunity.

I am pretty certain that we have received admission by silence on #6 so we should go ahead and plan on starting this up soon.

And okay, Dev can stay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just being able to reply to the thread instead of having to reply to a post/reply would be nice
along with navigation buttons on the bottom of the list of replies

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don't add a like button. If someone cares enough to comment on a post, continue to make them write something. I know that sometimes people respond simply with "x2" or "agree" or "like" but it takes more effort to do that than to press a like button. Thanks for asking.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 26, 15 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can count me among those who, despite what else gets implemented, would at least like an option to keep posts in chronological order. I know that likes, etc can make certain things rise to the top, but when replies are out of order it makes it difficult to follow a train of thought (especially when those trains are so often easily derailed)

Mobile reading platform would be great.

I agree that the search function stands to be improved.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"2) Better spam - avoidance (captcha when creating new thread)"

to better explain about this: a captcha would not help. the ONLY thing that would help is if moderators read every post prior to its publication. there are, probably, 8 or 10 spammers every day who register to post on slowtwitch. they take the time to register, fill out a user profile, and then launch their spam. they go thru the same process you do, receiving a validation email, validating their account, and posting. you think a captcha is going to stop them?

i large percentage of my work as a moderator is deleting the accounts of spammers, and then carving out IP ban workarounds for legitimate members (we actually do have readers in india, china, indonesia, etc., where these spammers are located).

this is just the job of a moderator. and this is why i'm not eager to adopt a new off-the-shelf platform, because as much spam as you see, it's a lot less spam than you would see were there not certain custom functions built into this current platform just to help quickly identify spammers.

the spam you see is the spam that occurs in the middle of my night. it is now 8am as i am typing this. 8am pacific time, which is where i am. in the last half-hour the overnight spam got ejected off the site. readers on the west coast of the U.S. don't see much spam, but europeans, and east coasters, got to their computers in the morning before i got to mine, so they see it before i can get to it.

it's just a fact of life that the workday of a pakistani or chinese spammer is the opposite of my workday, so their spam is often visible for several hours until i get to it. yes, i could have a moderator in, say, australia, or the middle east, who might close the overnight gap. it just depends on how much that overnight spam bothers you guys.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to win stuff just for reading/ posting.

Also, perhaps a user quality control feature to make it easier to find individuals with a higher 'trust' rating (or something like that).

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
...a like button? yes or no?...

Yes, please!

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • like/dislike or +1 button/option
  • integrated social media buttons
  • Some kind of user ranking based on like/dislike or similar. With an emphasis or reward for completing one's profile and listing one's real name on said profile. Many will argue a key "want" on forums is to remain anonymous. I would argue this anonymity is the root source of most forum issues and trolls. So, you don't have to list your real name but in some way you get benefit or credibility for doing so.
  • Some way to warn that a new thread might be a redundant topic before being created. Try to cut down on numerous threads dealing with a single topic.

Jimmy Archer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think something you really need is a sarcasm-meter. I can help Jordan write a little algorithm that calculates the likelihood of the post being sarcastic, based on specific words, who posted, etc.
This would help many discussions ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I think something you really need is a sarcasm-meter. I can help Jordan write a little algorithm that calculates the likelihood of the post being sarcastic, based on specific words, who posted, etc.
This would help many discussions ;-)

Oh, sure, like you know what you're doing. ;)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eliminating anonymity is a great idea. You can have a user name but you need a real name linked to your profile.

I'll agree with Jimmy that if you can call out user12345 for being a dick by calling him by his real name, say Tommy vs user 12345, that might reduce some of the trolling/flaming that occurs from time to time.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Mar 26, 15 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
eliminating anonymity is a great idea. You can have a user name but you need a real name linked to your profile.

I'll agree with Jimmy that if you can call out user12345 for being a dick by calling him by his real name, say Tommy vs user 12345, that might reduce some of the trolling/flaming that occurs from time to time.

"Like"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we (meaning you) put all the "official" bike threads into their own category, like the tri forum, women's, notices, lavender room, bikes....

I'm building a P5 and it helps to keep going through the Official P5 thread for clues and tips, but sometimes it gets buried for a few pages.

Also a "Jump To..." page would be awesome. 75 pages of the P5 thread is a pain to get back to a specific page you are trying to get to. Especially when I'm on page 35.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jump to, maybe we can do that. we are not going to split the main forum into more sub forums. we've polled that and we repeatedly get "no subforums."

now, if there were a way to actually give everybody what he/she wants, then yes. so, if there were a way to give people the "everything" classifieds forum but to also FORCE the person initiating the thread to select certain boxes (bike, run, new, used, consumer, commercial) then we could display based on a sort that the reader initiates.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Being linked to a real name on a profile you use for work like you is a great thing. But being public on a forum you use for work and then having hobbies that you use forums for as well can actually create problems in my experience. I'm public on many forums for work, people on unrelated hobby forums that semi cross over have figured out it is me and just because they like a competitors product (fkn industry where customers start rivalries that don't exist between the actual companies) will go out of their way to start crap. Seen it happen to others as well.

I don't like the idea of being anonymous, but after 15+ years of being in forums with a very public profile it is nice to have places you can "hide" without your work stuff being dragged over. Being anonymous does cause some drama sometimes but it can create it too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be nice to have an expanded "reply" option, so that people who wanted to reply could have a choice of "reply to original post" or "reply to latest post viewed" (or something like that). I can't count the number of times I've been "replied to," when the person meant to reply to the original poster, and not to me. I've also seen a lot of confusion within threads from people who thought posts were directed toward them, later to realize they weren't the focus of the post -- the confusion stemmed from the person to whom the "reply" was sent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A functional and enhanced search engine.

Also, the ability to save posts to a personal list for future reference.

A notification/watch list for users of your choice. I always want to see what AndyF and Damon have to say on any non-lavender related subjects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Like button
  • User's accrued likes
  • Hover over thread title for first few lines of text
  • Multi-quote
  • Crazy idea for mobile version (as an aside, non-zoomable/non-pannable fixed width makes me homicidal): tabbed browsing on desktop browsers changed my life. Tabbed browsing on mobile browsers still ain't great (can't ctrl-click quickly to spawn a bunch of tabs to read later). Perhaps this exists already, and perhaps it's a dumb idea, but being able to tag a whole bunch of threads, then have a "Read All" button that either spawns them all in tabs or even serves them all in a custom page would be sweet. I don't 'twitch from any mobile devices because the old model of "follow link -> read -> go back -> repeat" just doesn't work for me anymore.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Can we (meaning you) put all the "official" bike threads into their own category, like the tri forum, women's, notices, lavender room, bikes....

I'm building a P5 and it helps to keep going through the Official P5 thread for clues and tips, but sometimes it gets buried for a few pages.

Also a "Jump To..." page would be awesome. 75 pages of the P5 thread is a pain to get back to a specific page you are trying to get to. Especially when I'm on page 35.

The jump to would be fabulous! I also agree that this forum could use more divisions.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Also, the ability to save posts to a personal list for future reference."

i have a question about this, and this i guess leads me to veer into a different area, the user profile. that seems to me the logical place to archive saved posts or threads. but we don't get a lot of use of the features now in the user profile.

for example, one feature almost every one of you needs, and would be very well served to use, is the "bike fit manager." it's a place for you to archive your fit coordinates. the reasons for doing this are legion, including my ability, when you ask a question about fit here on the forum, to go and see at a glance the context in which you're asking that question.

so, i just wonder whether you would actually use this function you're asking for if we built it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you use gmail, Dan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like a better training log. I used the Athlete's Diary for years, but when I switched to an ipad, it crashed about once a year and I'd lose everything. I tried using the ST log but it's too basic. I now use the Beginner Triathlete log and it is also limited but it's better than the ST log. We need a better training log.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right after forum upgrades we're completely redoing our training log.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next