Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: proposed forum upgrades [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More and more people are using their mobile devices. ST has to adapt also.
A mobile friendly site/app will make it a lot more user friendly. It will be better for your advertiser since their adds can be seen.
(I have no problem with ads, something have to pay the bill).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Mobile version that scales properly on smaller displays. There are various frameworks out there that do this today. Don't reinvent the wheel. Take advantage of what's currently available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I like it as it is.

Thanks for asking.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Ability to post pics without the whole TinyPic adventure. Just copy, paste and go.

2. Improved search function (as previously mentioned, results condensed by thread).

Rock on,

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other forum I spend time on is Ravelry.com, which has a lot of smart interactive features. It's a bunch of knitters who want to show their work, so it's very visual in a way I think Slowtwitch could also be.

It's easy to post photos, earburn someone to let them know they're being mentioned, it's got more than a like button -- the feedback choices are interesting, educational, agree, disagree (!) and love.

Take a look, it's free, you can even find me by the same username there, SharonMcN.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like a new color.. I'm over blue.. that's the color of the skies here all the bloody time.. how about a nice mustard tone?

Hope this will prove invaluable in your upgrades ;)
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [snobum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snobum wrote:
Definitely youtube embed

and the ability to post a photo directly into the post instead of having to use tinypic, etc.

+1

This will also make posting much easier on mobile.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
This is social media. These forums happen to pre-date myspace, friendster, facebook, and twitter, but it is a social media site. So, look to what today's successful social media sites are doing and cherry-pick popular commonalities.

Off the top of my head, I think you are being hurt by lack of:
  1. mobile. Personally, I don't care, but trust me, fewer and fewer people are sitting at a computer with a big monitor and a keyboard, and that trend is not going to reverse
  2. the ability to @user tag a user.
  3. Like or up/down buttons. Sure, getting rid of extraneous "+1" posts is nice, but the real benefit comes from being able to filter on this data once you start accumulating it. Want to look at the most popular posts? Filter out troll posts. See users who have the best up:total post ratio or down:total post ratio. Etc. You can learn a lot from this data if only you had it.
  4. facebook/twitter integration. Give the ability for someone to one-button click a thread or post onto his wall or feed, and all of a sudden you've got a potential of thousands of non-st users who are coming to your site to view the thread, register, and then respond.
  5. threaded responses. so many threads get derailed, because you can't respond to a post and have that response be a separate thread under that post. Facebook allows just a single level of response threading, but just that one level depth would go a long way for you.
  6. embedded youtube videos (should be easy)
  7. auto hyperlinking of urls (should be easy)

I think the most useful features aside from mobile is what Kyle pointed out. Integrating an ST tread or post into a person's facebook wall and thereby push to all his friends through their feeds. This would be the biggest opportunity to engage a larger community. You do it from front page, but you can't off the forum, but the forum has more active/dynamic content than the front page. It can, however, work both ways in the sense that negative threads that might stay seen mainly in the bowels of the forum get pushed over the facebook-web so it can be two edged. It's like opening up the good and the bad inside the family house to the entire world. Overall though, it will be more good than bad in my view.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hit those mostly on my Android and it works mostly fine.
Some forums I have been on reduce too much functionality with their mobile versions. Sorfy, don't know what software those are.

I would like to see easier ways to add photos and links from mobile, and reply to threads instead of posts.

Mostly, I would like more categories/or subforums. Lumping all of trip into one category is a bit much. Maybe categories such as Training, Race Reports, Beginner/Newbie, Rules, Equipment.
Even on classified could use some categories.

That being said, I'm just one small vote and you need to do what is best for you, your budget (including potential ad revenue) and your desires for the forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Direct picture upload

I like the standard site on my blackberry passport and at the moment don't see the need for a mobile version...I do however wish that every thread that I open does not open midway down the page. While not a massive flaw it does get old real quick.

Search function is pretty shit too.

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
tapatalk compatiblity...

https://tapatalk.com

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like individual subforums for swim, bike and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have now switched to threaded display mode, and this is largely what I had in mind.

Now, a threaded mode where all posts were loaded into the page and just made visible/invisible by clicking on the expand triangle would be nice, rather than a full page refresh required to view each post and a limit of viewing just a single post at a time. That would combine the best of both flat and threaded worlds.

But, I apologize for requesting a feature that is more or less already present.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [snobum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snobum wrote:
Definitely youtube embed

and the ability to post a photo directly into the post instead of having to use tinypic, etc.

To this point, Dan, I am sure you do not want to get into the image hosting game and I don't blame you. However, that does not mean you cannot easily have an upload button that uploads an image elsewhere (unbeknownst to the user), gets a reference to it, and then you use that reference in the forum post. Voila, you have taken away the step of your end user having to manually host their image elsewhere and reference to it.

http://tinypic.com/developer.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two requests:
  • The ability to embed html5 video (example) They're much, much smaller than .gif files.
  • Pictures/avatars next to users names. I have a hard time associating screen names with what people write--but can easily associate a profile picture with what they write. The value of posts is often related to the credibility of the writer. But a lot of times I can't remember what a certain user name has written before. A profile pic would help.
If you're considering a like button, I caution about unintended consequences, especially if threads can be sorted that way. While seemingly innocuous and useful, such a button will fundamentally change the forum. Currently, valued information "rises to the top" (so to speak) by the credibility of the writer, as supported by long-time forum users.

The "like" button will change that so opinions valued by the otherwise-silent majority are favored. This will likely be an entirely different subset of slowtwitchers. This may or may not be a welcome change--your call--just be aware that it will be a huge change. Spend a few days on reddit to see how group think tends to win out in such scenarios.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mobile version and a simplified means to post pics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what would be the upgrades for you?

Glad you asked. I have a comprehensive list of changes that need to me made around here, I will send you the complete list via email. Here are some of the hi-lites:

1) Pros provide no benefit to me on this forum. Get rid of them.

2) There are a couple of people I want to get rid of. I propose you get rid of Dave C, Dev Paul, EricMulk and JCTri. As tribute for these 4, you could bring back Paulo. Or alternatively you could sacrifice Thomas Gerlach with the 4. Hmmm, I'll leave that up to you. (I realize that by including Dave on the list the other 3 might not know I am joking. I am joking.).

3) Can we make Thursdays Aussie free. Give me something to look forward to once per week.

4) Every time I get in a disagreement with someone I look them up on Athlinks to find out if I am faster than them. This takes too much time. Can you just require race results as part of your profile.

5) If you start a disagreement with "I just don't understand," you should be banned. No shit you don't understand, that is why you are wrong.

6) Kind of in concert with #2 -> I think we should have weekly banning trials. Keep people on their toes. Someone will have to be the judge. It is with great reluctance that I will wear that crown.

7) Force people to use capitalization.

Okay, look for the email...
Last edited by: ajthomas: Mar 25, 15 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd like more Lance threads. so more Lance. that would be good.

thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on my list
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Glad you asked. I have a comprehensive list of changes that need to me made around here, I will send you the complete list via email. Here are some of the hi-lites:

2) There are a couple of people I want to get rid of. I propose you get rid of Dave C, Dev Paul, EricMulk and JCTri. As tribute for these 4, you could bring back Paulo. Or alternatively you could sacrifice Thomas Gerlach with the 4. Hmmm, I'll leave that up to you. (I realize that by including Dave on the list the other 3 might not know I am joking. I am joking.).

3) Can we make Thursdays Aussie free. Give me something to look forward to once per week.

4) Every time I get in a disagreement with someone I look them up on Athlinks to find out if I am faster than them. This takes too much time. Can you just require race results as part of your profile.

5) If you start a disagreement with "I just don't understand," you should be banned. No shit you don't understand, that is why you are wrong.

6) Kind of in concert with #2 -> I think we should have weekly banning trials. Keep people on their toes. Someone will have to be the judge. It is with great reluctance that I will wear that crown.

awesome. killed me. it LITERALLY killed me.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [twomarks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twomarks wrote:
I would like the buttons for the different forums at the bottom of the page instead of the top because...I don't like scrolling all.the.way.up.to the top of the page once I'm at the end of a thread.

This truly counts as a first world problem, but I really would like it.

twomarks

Hit "Home" if you are using a windows keyboard.

No clue if iPhone or Android or Mac has something like this

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, sure, if you want to do it the easy way;)

twomarks
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
Slowman wrote:

awesome. killed me. it LITERALLY killed me.

nice job at the jingle bells half marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: proposed forum upgrades [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
snobum wrote:
Definitely youtube embed

+1

This will also make posting much easier on mobile.

Not saying it can't(shouldn't) be added but this actually drives away outside site traffic because on every forum I know with this type of photo format it requires logging in. That means when someone google image searches and sees a photo and tries to go to the site they cannot see beyond the thumbnail unless they are a member. There are dozens of sites that I just won't go to when looking for stuff since I know they are local images I can't see unless I register. So it may over time slowly increase your membership but it can reduce page hits. It also puts the hosting demand on the site itself which adds cost.

never used tinypic but imgur is no more steps to host then direct forum image hosting in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only suggestion:

Bring back the hotties thread
Quote Reply

Prev Next