Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: profiling slowtwitchers [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hrs Training: Avg. 15-20
Job/Hrs: Retired Nuclear Plant Jack-of-All-Trades/0
Favorite Discipline: Swim, but run is close
Strongest Discipline: Run
Least Favorite Discipline: Bike - I know, ST blasphemy, huh?
Weakest Discipline: Bike
Main Distance: All, but I prefer the longer stuff
Bike: QR Seduza (new Flo wheels should be in the mail!)
Scale of OCD: kinda weird that way - I have to get to transition and set up early, but I can then take a nap and miss my start time. Mostly low though.
Comfort w/Risk: 10+ (especially for an old guy)
Biggest Food Craving: Gawd! Where should I start?
Hrs.of Sleep: 7-9, with a nap after lunch
Introvert/Extrovert: Extrovert socially but I love to train by myself.
First thing I check out on Triathletes: Abs, cuz I wish I had some, but I'm too lazy to make any
Guilty Pleasure: Beer, among other things

Quote Reply
Re: profiling slowtwitchers [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Big shout out to those of you who have actually offerred info. Thanks for having my back TriBeer:)[/quote]
Oh, really, just fuck them. Do Not Apologize to those nitwits. They have no lives so they pick apart the minutia of random posts on ST. Seriously. Don't give them the time of day.[/quote]
I love this statement!!!! Thanks Kathy.

For the OP
I'm too lazy to cut and paste your request but will give u basics.
I think you are trying to get a general feel for who else, or how one gets pulled into the tri lifestyle. You gotta have a hobby, I prefer hobbies that make me $$ and make me fit. So I use one hobby to pay for the other.
F, 43, train min 8 max of 40 (only for specific ultras and planned seasons), major accident 2 yrs ago shifted the prospective from escapism of racing and the introvert quiet time to enjoying my extrovert personality and gym rating it.
Fav and worst: bike
Looking forward to getting back into trail running as soon as the ankle will cooperate.
Holding me back - I love concerts, arts, shows and live sporting events. Nowadays freely give up a long training day to enjoy the company of others.
Sleep - 6-8
Work - doctorate of chiro practicing as a massage therapist (my passion fixing the athlete) spare time handmade card business and eBay store (extra hobbies extra$$) I probably work 50 hrs when training heavy and 60 when just maintaining. Athletes always need to get worked on, and NFL is trying to kill me every week. This is the physical hardest time of year - thrilled the iron season is over.
Bike - old school carbon Kuota
OCD - big races - suPer dialed in, now - structured
Risk - yeah I like it :-)
--------------
OP you will do great for the iron - u have the right perspective juggling family and business. Enjoy the great health and let the race come to you. Ignore the 'noise' as a lot of my pro athletes always say, and enjoy what matters. Get some more rest as the body will function better - add in meditation or a daily nap if you really cannot sleep longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not done a triathlon in ages, content to be a Pre-Dawn Patrol runner

HRS of training: Runningahead says 4-5, but i had to look it up
Job/hours: Finance, Defense Contractor, 40
Favorite: although I'm a runner, I really like a nice long bike ride with D'Wife; running in the mroning keps me Zen and gives me my daily Endorphin fix
Least:
For a surfer, my swimming is surprisingly bad, stone-like, in fact. And by "Stone-like," I mean that in a Brian Jones kinda way
Main distance: Half Marathon
Bike: 1989 Puch Pathfinder [$20 flea market buy] with some upgrades
OCD Scale: if you ask my wife? 11; personally, only about 6 or so
Risk Scale: 6 - I'm afraid of heights, bridges & elevators
Food Craving: As the house chef, I pretty much eat what I want, so if I'm "craving" something, I can work it into the menu; now, you consider beer and wings, essential nutrients, right?
Sleep: 6½ish - 7
Intro/Extro: I'll take the spotlight when provoked and will certainly have a good time; it's uncomfortable at first, but once I get warmed up, look out ...
Things I check out: Chix: I like a nice tush; dudes: I'm afraid of guns
Guilty Pleasure:
The people in my cube-land quote me as a reference for all things 80s and a one-hit-wonder encyclopedia; I watch a lot of surf movies on Vimeo
Other: Married with a teenage daughter [as of 11/19 anyway, God help me], Catholic. I'm also a beer geek

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: randymar: Oct 27, 12 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: profiling slowtwitchers [Eileen Steil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eileen! I haven't seen a post from you in ages (I am not on ST as much as I want to be because I am so busy with school). How are you? What are you training for?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: profiling slowtwitchers [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

A Halloween birthday is sweet.

edit: no pun intended

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 27, 12 7:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hours training/week: ~15
job/hours: law enforcement
favorite and best of the three disciplines: running
least favorite: swim (that's why I'm headed to Du's
main tri distance you race: Oly
bike: Specialized Transition
OCD, scale of 1 to 10: with hygiene and training it's a 10, everything else is pretty low
comfort with risk, scale of 1 to 10: 10
biggest food craving: I'm a sucker for salty stuff and coffee
hours of sleep avg/night: 6 - 7
introvert/extrovert: as far as athletics, big introvert, I train alone 95% of the time. In life, I'm an extrovert.
thing you check out first on other triathletes: overall body composition
guilty pleasure that undermines your training, but you can't/don't want to give it up: potato chips, in a big way

-
-
"People said I was dumb, but I proved them!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some things I noticed about your post:

You said you had a "family meeting" to discuss your IM plans. Your family must be really important to you. But in your list of all the things you commit your time to, I didn't see anything about your family and what you do together.

You must be doing your research in your basement, because I didn't see commuting time listed anywhere.

Did the fact that your husband took two days to think about it tell you anything?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hours training/week: 30-35
job/hours: currently unemployed (reason for training hours. gotta stay busy)
favorite of the three disciplines: run&bike
strongest discipline: run
least favorite: swim, hate pools with a passion
main tri distance you race: olympic. looking to move up to HIM
bike: Argon E-112
OCD, scale of 1 to 10: training 10, rest of life 1
biggest food craving: WINGS
hours of sleep avg/night: 6
introvert/extrovert: extrovert
thing you check out first on other triathletes: Men- sizing up competition, so bike/legs. Women-sizing up...other things
guilty pleasure that undermines your training, but you can't/don't want to give it up: football sundays!! tv, beer, unhealthy food all day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
When I had a family meeting this fall to ask for support (permission?) from my family to train for an IM, my husband took two days to answer, but ended up supporting me, but saying because he knew that now that our house was finished being built and our business was solid I would "be OCD about something, and this was probably the best thing for [me] to get crazy about".

Um, yeah. Probably.

So, it made me think that most of us have OCD tendencies, as well as some others, and I'm curious about the groups'. If this has already been done, I apologize for the repeat.

hours training/week: 16-20
job/hours: basic science researcher, 60
favorite of the three disciplines: running
least favorite: swim
main tri distance you race: HIM
bike: shiv tri
OCD, scale of 1 to 10: 8
biggest food craving: salt (in a freaky way), coffee and red meat are close seconds,
hours of sleep avg/night: 6
introvert/extrovert: introvert, hate to train with others
thing you check out first on other triathletes: legs
guilty pleasure that undermines your training, but you can't/don't want to give it up: whisky

Feel free to add other things you think would be interesting to know about the group.

I'll play :)

hours training/week: 10 on average
job/hours: Equity Compensation Consultant, 35 - 40
favorite of the three disciplines: running
least favorite: swim
main tri distance you race: HIM
bike: Cervelo P2
OCD, scale of 1 to 10: 8
comfort with risk, scale of 1 to 10: 9
biggest food craving: coffee, mints and maybe some sort of sweet
hours of sleep avg/night: 8
introvert/extrovert: introvert but i actually like training with others because I'm super competitive. I always seem to get the best of myself that way.
thing you check out first on other triathletes: How lean their face is
guilty pleasure that undermines your training, but you can't/don't want to give it up: video games

Oh and like others have said, ignore the pricks saying you're backdoor bragging. I didn't find it in your post, even looked after seeing people talk about it. Now the girl in my nutrition class last semester was a backdoor bragger. (asked the class, "So do you want me to take into account the calories I burn from exercise for this project? For example, when I run 20 miles....")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been here for 2 days and already tossing around the D-word. You'll fit right in!

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hours training/week: 8
job/hours: biotech researcher, 40
favorite of the three disciplines: bike
least favorite: run
main tri distance you race: Oly
bike: Trek Madone (I'm basically a beginner, can't justify a tri bike yet!)
OCD, scale of 1 to 10: 5
comfort with risk, scale of 1 to 10: 3
biggest food craving: cookies
hours of sleep avg/night: 8
introvert/extrovert: introvert (but I wish I was an extrovert)
thing you check out first on other triathletes: abs
guilty pleasure that undermines your training, but you can't/don't want to give it up: skipping training in bad weather

I just discovered triathlon this year and I don't really even know why I enjoy it but I'm sure glad I do because I want to be in decent physical shape. I don't have the self discipline to do exercise that I don't enjoy.

Besides that I just hope to meet people and make new friends. :)

Cheers,
Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry you think I'm a dbag. Just pointing out the obvious and sticking up for your family. Maybe you can thank me some day for helping you come to terms with the fact that your career and athletic endeavors are not the most important thing. Mean while, let other people influence your kids lives (most of the time).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just signed up for my first half ironman in Kansas on June 10th.

Hrs Training: Avg. 10-12,
Job/Hrs: Student,
Favorite Discipline: Run
Strongest Discipline: Run
Least Favorite Discipline: Swim
Weakest Discipline: Swim
Main Distance: Oly,
Bike: 2007 Trek Equinox
Scale of OCD: 2
Comfort w/Risk: 8
Biggest Food Craving: Soft serve ice cream
Hrs.of Sleep: 7-8
Introvert/Extrovert: Introvert
First thing I check out on Triathletes: Judge on shoes they are wearing
Guilty Pleasure: climbing trees in the middle of a run

-----

Illinois State Collegiate Triathlete
http://tristatenate.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: profiling slowtwitchers [olddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
olddog wrote:
Some things I noticed about your post:

"You said you had a "family meeting" to discuss your IM plans. Your family must be really important to you. But in your list of all the things you commit your time to, I didn't see anything about your family and what you do together.
"

My main workout of the day I get done before my family gets up; this doesn't impact my time with them. I get a lot of quality time with my kids, including doing training with them present. I will often do a recovery run while they're biking alongside, we do yoga together regularly, my oldest daughter swims and we'll go to the pool together, etc. No these aren't my hard workouts, but training and family time aren't always mutually exclusive. I specifically try to include them when possible as I want them to have fitness be a fun part of their lives--and they love it. We don't watch TV and my kids are homeschooled by my husband (who has a very flexible job); I feel confident that they are not lacking in quality time from either of us.

"You must be doing your research in your basement, because I didn't see commuting time listed anywhere."

Sorry, wasn't trying to account for every minute of my day, but okay...I am also very lucky to have an incredibly flexible job, as long as I get my stuff done, it usually doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of day I do it. And, yes, as a matter of fact, about 25 hours a week I spend writing papers or grants, which I can do from anywhere, including the office in my basement :) In warmer months I will do my 36 mile commute on my bike pretty regularly (two birds, one stone), other times I drive, and yes, that's time.

"Did the fact that your husband took two days to think about it tell you anything?"

Yes! It tells me he is the thoughtful, contemplative man that I married. He had to think about it because he knows that doing an IM is an important life goal of mine, but of course there are some sacrifices. He knows that I'm 38, done having kids, and that our kids are young enough now (7, 6, and 2) that their activities and athletic pursuits do not require as much time as they will three or four years from now, and that this is probably a good "window" of opportunity to train for an IM. He also, as my best friend, knows that I'm goal oriented and thinks/says I am a BETTER mother and wife when I am training hard and going for something important to me.

Bash away. I feel totally good about the balance I have with my husband and family. Does that mean I don't feel torn sometimes--of course not. Those of you with kids/spouse who can say that you never feel guilty about working out, kudos.

Again, I created the thread to see how others strike their balance and to get an idea of STers personalities. Feel free to post yours:)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hours training/week: 3-5
job/hours: software engineer, 40-45
favorite of the three disciplines: open water swim, otherwise run
least favorite: bike
main tri distance you race: sprint
bike: cervelo dual
OCD, scale of 1 to 10: 1, used to be 9-10, having kids cured me
comfort with risk, scale of 1 to 10: 1 which makes for an uncomfortable life.. solo backpacking twenty miles from a road or whitewater canoeing ditto aren't risky, because I know what I'm doing.. owning a house and raising a family on the other hand are perfectly terrifying..
biggest food craving: stinky cheese
hours of sleep avg/night: 6, need 8 but what can you do
introvert/extrovert: introvert
thing you check out first on other triathletes: look for the light of intelligence..
guilty pleasure that undermines your training, but you can't/don't want to give it up: red red wine..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hours training/week: 4-5 if I do poorly in a race, 30+ when my OCD hits 11
Job/hours: squirrel herder, 70+
Favorite of three disciplines: Is this a trick question? That's like asking me to pick my favorite child (easy since I have none) I love everything about tri
Least favorite: finishing a race; I love everything about tri
Main tri distance: any distance, anywhere, any time. Especially any that follows running a marathon the weekend prior
Bike: if it's European carbon, I'll ride it
OCD scale: a super chill 11
Comfort risk: I too like to live dangerously, for example riding through an IM aid station
Biggest food craving: I often eat gels in bed when I'm dreaming about triathlon
Hours of sleep: 5-6 if training schedule allows
Thing you first check out on triathletes: Height - it's how I measure myself against other triathletes
Guilty pleasure that undermines training: Slowtwitch. And anything Gangman style
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Oct 27, 12 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: profiling slowtwitchers [nfillers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'll join in.

Hrs Training: 14-16
Job/Hrs: Fitness Training Regional Manager
Favorite Discipline: Hard to say, love all three, but it's like this: when I swim, I feel like a swimmer, when I run, I feel like a runner. When I cycle, I feel like a triathlete!
Strongest Discipline: Swim (though I think I suck compared to college)
Least Favorite Discipline: None -- love em all
Weakest Discipline: Probably the run, but I was a sub 3 marathoner, so I'm getting that back
Main Distance: Olympic, but I seem to like the longer the better
Bike: 2011 Look 576 rsp
Scale of OCD: 5
Comfort w/Risk: 7
Biggest Food Craving: Anything chocolate
Hrs.of Sleep: 8
Introvert/Extrovert: Extrovert, but love my alone time
First thing I check out on Triathletes: The bike -- love passing people in bikes that cost more than mine...lol
Guilty Pleasure: I don't feel guilty about any pleasures I enjoy -- life is too short for regrets

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll play.

Hrs Training: 10-15
Job/Hrs: Retail (HQ,) 45-50 hours/week
Favorite Discipline: Bike
Main Distance: working towards HIM's
Bike: Specialized
Scale of OCD: 7
Comfort w/Risk: 5
Biggest Food Craving: Chocolate, but I get a bunch of random food cravings
Hrs.of Sleep: 6
Introvert/Extrovert: Introvert, but love to train with others
First thing I check out on Triathletes: Bike, then arms/shoulders
Guilty Pleasure: Gelato

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hrs Training: 5-10
Job/Hrs: Management Consultant, 20
Favorite Discipline: Swim & bike.
Strongest Discipline: Swim & Bike
Least Favorite Discipline: None -- love em all
Weakest Discipline: Run
Main Distance: To the bar! Actually, any. Done 'em all, like 'em all, good at most. :)
Bike: Felt B2
Scale of OCD: 3
Comfort w/Risk: 10
Biggest Food Craving: Beef stroganoff. Gnocchi. Ikea meatballs. Nutella. Eggs, anywhichway. Breakfast.
Hrs.of Sleep: 5
Introvert/Extrovert: Yes
First thing I check out on Triathletes: Everything.
Guilty Pleasure: Nope. They're all unguilty.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Re: profiling slowtwitchers [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahhahah! LOVE IT!

Thanks to all the profile posters:) Now we're starting to build that "n".

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can ex-triathletes play too?

Hrs Training: currently 0-1 (long-time injury + work/travel)
Job/Hrs: Legal Admin/40 + overtime and travel (which varies but is high right now)
Favorite Discipline: bike
Strongest Discipline: Bike
Least Favorite Discipline:Run
Weakest Discipline: Run (can't really run anymore)
Main Distance: Crits/2K pursuit (IM when I was racing)
Bike: Cannondale CAAD10; Felt track bike; Cervelo Prodigy road bike; just bought a Specialized Rockhopper. Sold all my 650 wheels and stripped down my Cervelo P2K to the frame and will put it on the wall (one of the first ones, custom painted; very sentimental).
Scale of OCD: 6
Comfort w/Risk: 5
Biggest Food Craving: Chips/salsa; pizza
Hrs.of Sleep: 7-8
Introvert/Extrovert: Yes
First thing I check out on Triathletes: Their bike
Guilty Pleasure: Beer and wine

I can't wait to get to the end of the year and stop work travel and get back on the bike.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
The OCDer in me would have really liked to, but I was too busy cleaning up after dinner, getting my kids to bed and then blowing my husband.

there's a rule here--pics or didn't happen ;)

hours training/week: been a while since i was completely healthy, but around 15 when possible
job/hours: postdoc, 40
favorite of the three disciplines: triathlon
least favorite: nutrition
main tri distance you race: olympic
bike: trek equinox ttx
OCD, scale of 1 to 10: i'm a 10 on the high priority stuff (e.g., tuning my bike) and 1 on the low
(keeping my place clean) so i guess that's an avg of 5
comfort with risk: i've placed $500 on the craps table, done some mountaineering, and traveled to "dangerous" places--so let's say 9

food craving: spicy ethnic food
hours sleep: 7
introvert/extrovert: depends on the mood
thing you check out first on other triathletes:
butt/waist ratio
guilty pleasure: my homebrew

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Re: profiling slowtwitchers [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duffman wrote:

there's a rule here--pics or didn't happen ;)

hehe. dude, come on now, you know that costs extra.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hrs Training: Avg. about 15
Job/Hrs: Used Car Salesman / 40wk
Favorite Discipline: Bike
Strongest Discipline: Bike
Weakest Discipline: Run
Main Distance: Really Like Halves, do a lot more shorter stuff though.
Bike: Planet X Stealth, Scott CR1, CAAD 8, Zipp 2001, Felt S32
Scale of OCD: 8'ish, maybe 9
Comfort w/Risk: 9

Biggest Food Craving: Chips and Salsa
Hrs.of Sleep: 8 avg. Sometimes 9, sometimes 4 or 5 after a bender
Introvert/Extrovert: Extrovert except for training.
First thing I check out on Triathletes: Calves
Guilty Pleasure: Women

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: profiling slowtwitchers [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Hi Eileen! I haven't seen a post from you in ages (I am not on ST as much as I want to be because I am so busy with school). How are you? What are you training for?

Hey TC! Really hope you are doing well! I understand you moved! Enjoy this time as school is so much fun!

I'm training to fix the busted ankle from bike accident 2 yrs ago. Last monday was the last surgery for the dental repair from the same accident. I'm a little gun shy to get back on the bike - I'm up now to go train :-). 3 weeks ago working with a specialist to work on building ankle strength he made me do box jumps - I protested as I hate them. On the 30th one I went over the 24" box and caught the lip - he was impressed, I now have two knees to fix, think ankle is finally ok. Same week - split my strong foot - separated the base of my spin shoe from the shoe - cobbler who fixed it tried to refuse to fix it until I told him it was indoor only and I'd superglue it if he wouldn't. So I think I'm healed physically :-)
As for racing - after the accident I've decided I never want to swim 48 miles again, and pretty sure the longest I'd like to do would be a quintuple. The swelling from the deca and up is just so hard on my body (kidneys/liver/interstitial/brain ect). Watching my friends in Mexico out on the bike for the double deca - I wish this was the year I was there. My buddy Kale is finishing up the deca bike right now and it's making consider that distance - but the quintuple that's just perfect. If I do anything next year it will be small runs. In training - that's different. My practice is doing well and bc of the pros I take care of I can only get away with a week off aug-feb. I talked with Steve Kirby the tri ultra RD in the USA and he is open to suggestions for a race course in the ATL area for a quintuple and he would look at spring/early summer time frame :-). So maybe someday I will get to do a quintuple again. For now - just health and to stay strong enough to fix the huge NFL'ers that grace my massage table every week. They are harder to do week in and week out than any race I've ever done!

Sorry if that was long and wordy - but that should cover 2 yrs of crap. I try to read ST to stay inspired or to see if there are any events that strike a mood. Always entertaining to read. Good luck with figuring out school and work TC you will rock it!
Quote Reply

Prev Next