Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

praying mantis what degree ?
Quote | Reply
After a bioracer aero test i also got the advice to get my hands more up. (now stock Felt ia3 extensions, arm is flat)
What angle is mosty used now ? I found some older topics using a protractor i found most use 40 or 50 degree
is that still the best angle ?

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: praying mantis what degree ? [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what that bioracer aero test is but I'd be careful with changing your tilt without actual data to back it up. My recent trip to A2 saved me from making that mistake. I tested a set of Zipp Vuke EVO 110 extensions that essentially give me a moderate tilt and hands raised closer to my face (not mantis by any means) and it testes slower than my current position with only a very slight tilt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't they tell you how much to raise?

There is no way to know for sure what is optimal. Going too high doesn't seem best for me. I have 10cm from pads (elbows) to extensions. Do your pads have tilt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did some aero testing on the track and my best position was clearly with my hands above my elbows by 20 degrees, I have since installed the Zipp 110 extrensions to help achieve this.

You don’t say whether you are riding for triathlon or for time trials. If for TT’s then be careful about the UCI rules related to the amount of rise between elbow pads and end of aero bars - I think from memory the max permissible is 10cm.
Quote Reply
Re: praying mantis what degree ? [CG99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride TT races but not uci rules.
The zipp 110 extensions are also on my list.
And the USE high rise one's.

I did not get advies how high my hands should be. But as high as possible.

When i changed the bars i wil do another aero test bij someone else ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the “Bioracer aero test” by by the way??? wind tunnel, track based.....?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
I did not get advies how high my hands should be. But as high as possible.

Hands straight up in the air... ?... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like an interesting and detailed bike fit process. But I don’t think it would be an ideal aero test, I suggest you get into a wind tunnel (the Boardman tunnel if you are in Europe), or onto the track with the Aerocoach testing - this is I think the only way to be certain that you are getting the optimal aero position for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does aero testing on the track address yaw? Unless you race in windless conditions or ride high average speeds, you are likely to experience something in the 5-10deg average yaw range. My wind tunnel testing showed adding tilt was slightly faster at 0deg but significantly worse at 10deg.

CG99 wrote:
I did some aero testing on the track and my best position was clearly with my hands above my elbows by 20 degrees, I have since installed the Zipp 110 extrensions to help achieve this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you need to talk to a better fitter. Raising hands without understanding the why and how of it all is just asking for problems.

rbe wrote:
After a bioracer aero test i also got the advice to get my hands more up. (now stock Felt ia3 extensions, arm is flat)
What angle is mosty used now ? I found some older topics using a protractor i found most use 40 or 50 degree
is that still the best angle ?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: praying mantis what degree ? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do another fit in some weeks. I will test 2 types of extensions the default Felt ones and some high rise ones (and maybe after that another one. )

If I buy the ski types I can mount them in 2 directions.

So default s bend
High hand position
And praying mantis.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CG99 wrote:
Looks like an interesting and detailed bike fit process. But I don’t think it would be an ideal aero test, I suggest you get into a wind tunnel (the Boardman tunnel if you are in Europe), or onto the track with the Aerocoach testing - this is I think the only way to be certain that you are getting the optimal aero position for you.

Rbe put in the wrong link, that is bioracer motion capture fitting syste, this is the right link https://bioraceraero.com/#en/bioracer-aero

It is more a frontal area surface calculating software.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: praying mantis what degree ? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, my mistake

Quote Reply