Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

possible to have too long of a base period?
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure I already know the answer but though i would try it anyways. This assumes that you have the proper amount of build phase and so on, just lengthening base.
Quote Reply
Re: possible to have too long of a base period? [nos306stang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
physically no.

Mentally... I have found that I need a couple months away from the swim/bike/run grind to recharge (Herasy, I know). Generally I'll hike, play ultimate frisbee, surf... whatever, as long as it's not tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been in base since March, and I feel pretty good.

M
Quote Reply
Re: possible to have too long of a base period? [Mark in Cin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am working on 20 years of base training, and am thinking it might be too long. Maybe next year I will peak. Or the year after that. Nah, just thinking about it hurts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The quick answer is , "no"

With the 2 hour + length of many triathlons, it's almost always about the base. So just keep laying it down. The problem that many run into is the mental side of it - even with three sports it can get boring. That's whay it's good to take a break, or shake things up and do a single sport focus for a few months or something completely different like nordic skiing through the winter( if possible). I know that worked for me. I rarely rode from late Nov to early March every winter and would be raring to go in the spring on the bike, with remarkably little cycling fitness lost due to all the xc-skiing.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: possible to have too long of a base period? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats what i figured, thanks
Quote Reply
Re: possible to have too long of a base period? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What fleck said... within reason, physiologically it can't be too long but psychologically it might.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My approach is that basework is not "training". It is doing what I love to do, exercise in the form of swimming, biking, running, weightlifting as well as anything else I like to do. I do it because I love it, if I miss a session or a day, I don't worry, I'll be back tomorrow. Not until a month or two out from a race do I start "training" and get more structured, disciplined and serious. I can float between the two stages many times each year and I havn't felt burnt out in over three years. Obviously I don't know what the future holds but I believe I can maintain this protocol for a long time.
Quote Reply