Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

pool pace vs. open water pace
Quote | Reply
A question from a swimming newbie…

I'm curious to know how ones pace in the pool compares to ones open water pace. I can swim a mile in a 25yd pool at a comfortable pace in about 26 minutes, that’s about 45 seconds per lap. Assuming calm water, how long would it take me to swim a mile in open water. I'm sure it would take me a lot longer because I don't have the advantage of pushing off a wall every 25 yards, but I curious as to how much longer it will take. The follow up question is how much rough water can slow ones pace. By rough water I'm talking 3 foot waves with 1/3 of the swim into the waves, 1/3 across the waves, and the last third with the waves.

I apologize if this question has already been asked. I ran a search but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks,

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: pool pace vs. open water pace [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to guess + 5 minutes unless you site a shark in which case maybe -15 minutes

Quote | Reply
Wetsuit makes a huge difference. Whether or not you do flip turns makes a big difference. How good are your turns (flip or otherwise)? Are you good at drafting? Are you good at sighting? Are you good in rough water? Do you swim reasonably straight? What is the current like? (The ocean has STRONG currents parrallel to the shore. Many people think only of the tide...)

Plus, triathlon courses are NEVER marked correctly for distance.

So the answer is, you really have no idea! Honestly. It's not worth worrying about. Focus on how you feel at your pool pace, and try and duplicate that feeling. Then try to swim straight and draft as much as possible. Whatever the time is, it is.

I would say you would be at 20-30 minutes is the range you can expect for most courses.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up swimming across my lake when I was a kid and hadn't really swam laps in a pool until my 20s. Therefore I swim much faster in open water (wetsuit or not) because I can't turn for crap and am more used to long straight sets of 1500+ rather than 200's for example.

For me is a probably -5 on a 1500 in open water vs pool.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting to crunch the numbers:

I would say it will NOT take you a lot longer.

Remember a genuine mile in a 25-yard pool is just about 1800 yards, not 1600 yards as many people think. Olympic triathlons are supposed to start with a 1500 meter swim, which is close to 1600 yards or about 9/10 of a mile.

My best time for 1000 yards in a pool is about 13 minutes and a few seconds; That's like 1:20 pace ... My best time in an olympic triathlon is like a 21:30, which is also about 1:20 pace ... I did one-mile open water swim race under 24, which is a bit slower ... I have pretty decent turns but I also believe wetsuits make lake swimming easier and faster ... so for me its a wash and pool times give me a decent indication of how I swim in lakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find I swim about 5 or 6% slower in open water than in a 25-yard pool. I also find that a wetsuit more than offsets this difference and allows me to swim about 7% faster than without.
Quote Reply