Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch?
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
I have a polar wearlink wireless ant+ heart rate monitor. I am backordered for a garmin 910xt. Will this monitor work with the garmin or do I need a garmin-specific monitor?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [skivt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need a Garmin...............transmits at a diferent feq I believe
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [skivt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After the strap that came with my 310 I ordered the one dcrainmaker suggested. Worked great for a few months and now it's crapping out too (but just plain drops out rather than giving readings of 240bpm).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar stuff only works with Polar.
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Polar stuff only works with Polar.
Transmitter yes, strap no.

http://www.amazon.com/...325813540&sr=8-1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can snap the Garmin transmitter (premium "soft strap" transmitter) into the Polar strap and it works like a charm. I have had zero problems since I started doing this. The Garmin strap sucks. Polar transmitter does not communicate with Garmin watch.

You can buy the Garmin transmitter by itself.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Jan 5, 12 20:18
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> Polar transmitter does communicate with Garmin watch.

Do you mean "doesn't?" Garmin uses ANT+. Polar uses something else. They don't play nice.
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried this but it only works every once and a while... half the time mid workout it just stops reading my heart rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and sometimes Polar stuff doesn't even work with Polar.....very frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know how. Polar is 2.4 megahertz, why it workd=s in water and the garmin does not........................I know the RX800 transmits diff, does not work in water..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops. Fixed it.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Don't know how. Polar is 2.4 megahertz, why it workd=s in water and the garmin does not........................I know the RX800 transmits diff, does not work in water..

Here's how: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...-dropoutsspikes.html

As noted, it's just the transmitter pod. The closest anyone's come to a dualing setup is the Suunto Duostrap, but the challenge there is that it only transmits ANT (and analog), and not ANT+ (and analog), thus making it almost entirely useless (unless you have a Suunto device). Shame, could have been awesome.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [beanmj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beanmj wrote:
After the strap that came with my 310 I ordered the one dcrainmaker suggested. Worked great for a few months and now it's crapping out too (but just plain drops out rather than giving readings of 240bpm).

Change the battery?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Chicks are like Voltron, the more you can get, the better it is." -Tucker
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [AlphaQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprissed polar hasnt moved over to the ful ANT+ idea, it seems the majority of training tools are this way. Polar in my mind is a bit behind the mark atm.

http://stuartwalpole.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [stuartaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I know, ANT+ isn't entirely the "open standard" it's often made out to be.

It is in fact a proprietary technology promoted by the "ANT+ Alliance" which in turn is "organized by Dynastream Innovations Inc, a subsidiary of Garmon Ltd." (see wikipedia).

Has it found wide adoption in the market? - No doubt.
But it seems understandable that Polar doesn't want to depend on technology governed by their biggest competitor. Also Polar works under water for swimming, ANT+ doesn't.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: polar heart rate monitor compatible with garmin watch? [AlphaQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlphaQ wrote:
beanmj wrote:

Change the battery?
I've thought about that, but it shouldn't be dead yet (supposed to last ~3 years, isn't it?) and when the polar strap craps out an hour in to a workout I can swap over to the crappy old garmin "premium" strap and it'll work, at least for a while. I might have an extra battery lying around, I really should just try doing that.
Quote Reply