Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

pilates guide recommendation?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good program/book of pilates for triathletes?

I can't really find anything specific that would be best for all three sports. Maybe nothing is that specific, but my spine doc tells me I need to start doing pilates. I do some core stuff already, but I guess I will add/switch to pilates.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: pilates guide recommendation? [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do it Pilates with a professional, not online or with book, you can hurt yourself doing.
Professional, will resolve your problem.
Resolved mine !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As per the first response, then go to classes. I've been doing pilates 2/3 times a week for the last 4 years and I can't begin to tell you how beneficial it is. What's great is that I don't even need to keep it as my 'secret' as the vast majority of my 'competitors' write it off for being 'girly' and so despite asking how I've managed to get so much stronger/faster just ignore the honest answer.

I do use a guide when I'm away travelling for a week, to self manage some sessions, but even after this long then I notice the difference between the PT sessions, group (max 4) classes and at home, with that order being of decreasing effectiveness/after session fatigue.

I've been to 3 studios in that time, all were good in different ways, and whilst it may sound counter intuitive then if you can find a 'classic pilates method' studio that uses 'reformer' (basically sliding bed type things) you are on a winner. There are other studios that add weights, and so a bit of cardio but I would avoid those as you're doing enough of that elsewhere, it reduces the proportion of time working on strength and form.

The key benefit isn't just you develop abs, it's that you develop the control of all of the stabilizing muscles throughout your body, and after you get that control (which is where the instructor comes in and why you can't learn at home) then you build that strength. Naturally we will use the biggest muscles first, and that leads to strains when the smaller ones then get fatigued in longer sessions, harder intervals. So pilates will build all your muscles and get you using those at the right times to complement the movement you're doing, be it swimming or cycling or running.

Final thing. Pilates has the reputation for being a bit girly. I've known professional international rugby players stop half way through a class totally destroyed (just different muscles). Joseph Pilates developed the system for his benefit as a bare knuckled boxer. The pilates rings you see used are the modern version, but originally this was the iron hoop from the top of a wooden beer barrel.

More than happy to answer any more questions, but I swear that if you give it 6 weeks of 2 (ideally 3) classes a week you will never look back.
Quote Reply
Re: pilates guide recommendation? [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Re: pilates guide recommendation? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for all the details. I guess I will have to find a studio!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a classically trained teacher currently attending our certifying body’s conference and I’m surrounded by teachers from most of the US and lots of other destinations around the globe; where are you (roughly, not stalking)- I am happy to send you to a great studio if I know of one convenient to you.
Quote Reply
Re: pilates guide recommendation? [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YoMoGo wrote:
I’m a classically trained teacher currently attending our certifying body’s conference and I’m surrounded by teachers from most of the US and lots of other destinations around the globe; where are you (roughly, not stalking)- I am happy to send you to a great studio if I know of one convenient to you.

Yeah, that'd be great! Thanks. I'm in Miami--Westchester more specifically. My zip is 33165 if that helps.Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alrighty I am working on this for you, because unfortunately right now I’m only coming up with someone who is probs half an hour from you sans traffic and that’s annoying :)

Email: Jackie@truepilatesmiami.com
Phone: (305) 915-3745
Address: 12401 Orange Dr, Suite 135, Davie FL, 33330
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YoMoGo wrote:
I’m a classically trained teacher currently attending our certifying body’s conference and I’m surrounded by teachers from most of the US and lots of other destinations around the globe; .

If you see Beth Domino say hi from me - she's one of my instructors. Jeez, her 1:1 sessions hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah! I am pretty sure I chatted with Beth the 1st night :). Long hair, has a 7 year old daughter? Perhaps lived in NZ for a while?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in the Miami area this would be a good place to start: http://polestarstudio.com/dadeland/ - Polestarr also offers Pilates training, so if this facility is not close to you I suspect that they would be able to refer you to a quality teacher or teachers closer to your locale.
Last edited by: reutebh: Oct 12, 19 13:43
Quote Reply
Re: pilates guide recommendation? [reutebh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no pilates studios near me so I started doing some workouts I found on youtube.
Sean Vigue Pilates. I'll warn you he's kind of goofy.
https://www.youtube.com/...y=sean+vigue+pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan(74) - saw Beth all weekend. :)
You already know this: you are in the best possible hands for your lessons!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's good value isn't she ;-) Really nice person that can be bloody evil in class when she wants to be. Laser eyes that do not allow any 'cheating' at all. Hope you had a good conference (yep, same Beth as above).

Back to the OP - good thing is that if you go with a classic/authentic style of pilates then if you travel with work, go on holiday you'll be able to jump into any classes around the world and know what to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you would be willing/able to share any guidance regarding studios or instructors in the Brookline/Boston area? Zip looked helpful in the earlier assistance you provided, so just in case it's 02445. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: pilates guide recommendation? [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! Will get back to you
Quote Reply
Re: pilates guide recommendation? [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.endurancepilatesandyoga.com/

I trust Julie and she is super-skilled in particular working with athletes. She is herself a marathoner many times over. She has a well-trained staff too.

FURTHER, but I have seen Swan teach and she and I trained in the same lineage:

https://www.lyonpilates.com/LYON Pilates133 Pearl Street Suite 200
Boston, MA 02110

And one more, in Jamaica Plain:

https://www.bostonpilatesstudio.com/contact-us
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize this is an old thread, but any chance you could recommend a pilates studio in/around central Connecticut (06457)? I'm considering this location where practitioners are both certified in pilates and are physical therapists. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: pilates guide recommendation? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will look in to it for you in next couple of hours
Quote Reply