Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

pain in my butt
Quote | Reply
I have been experiencing pain in my left butt cheek for the past couple of months. Sometimes the ache goes down the back of my leg as well. It has recently gotten worse-not sure why. No changes in bike fit or training. A friend thinks I may be having trouble with my piriformus(?). Has anyone else out there had problems with this? It's a constant ache, and is significantly worse when running. I have been icing and massaging it with a tennis ball. I'm pretty good about stretching routinely.

Any suggestions about what may help?
Quote Reply
Re: pain in my butt [triaily] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like it. the sciatic nerve runs close to (or through, can't remember) the piriformis. if it gets tight and inflammed it can affect the sciatic, hence the leg pain. i believe it is generally caused by muscle imbalances and these need to be addressed. i saw a PT and through strenthening and stretching fixed it and haven't had problems since.

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might consider sitting on a foam roller to help release the muscle...

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a similar problem. Mine is usually a dull ache in lower back and top of my butt. It doesn't seem to bother me all the time. I did some internet reading and seems like it could be a form of sciatica called Piriformis syndrome. I am in to see the doctor soon and am going to check this too.

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/piriformis.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be a sacro-iliac/priformis problem. Have a chiro check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could also be your hamstring. Many people including myself experience pain at the insertion point which is at the very top of the muscle, felt in the lower part of your butt!! Mine's been bothering me on and off for the past year!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree....that it might be the hamstring. Mine has been bothering me for 5 months. Can't sit for more than 10 minutes without having to stand up. Ache is near where the hamstring inserts into the left buttock. Damn annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: pain in my butt [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are they closely related? only asking as my piriformis symptoms are gone, but i still have SI problems that i have to see my chiro for on a regular basis. anything that'll stop that 'locking up'?

k
Quote Reply
Re: pain in my butt [KDM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are often closely related. Custom orthotics may sometimes help. I had a recurrent SI problem that was getting so bad that I was considering leaving private practice since being on my feet all day aggravated it. I had a flattened arch on one foot that unleveled my pelvis and caused SI jt/piriformis problems. The orthotics and regualar stretching seem to have cured it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try A.R.T. It works! I've had the same symptoms and they have greatly improved after receiving treatment. Not gone -- but it has helped a lot. http://www.activerelease.com/index.asp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem last year. A few weeks after my butt cheek hurt, my knee started to hurt really bad. I could not run for 4 months. The problem was not coming from my knee, it was from my pelvis and hips being out of alignment, my hip flexors and IT band were tight also. This caused my knee to not track properly which caused the pain. If I had sought help right away I would not have been in so much pain and not able to run for 4 months. Try finding an ART therapist in your area. www.activerelease.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that the same problem as you and got therapy to loosen the muscle and i've been okay since. i just need to be careful to keep my muscles loose or else i know it will come back. good luck!
Quote Reply