Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ottawa swimming/running - help please
Quote | Reply
I am travelling to Ottawa for a week starting this Saturday and would like to continue swim / running while there (I guess I'll skip biking in the -30 temps). I was hoping I could get a little assistance from some Ottawa athletes. I'm looking for a pool that is open in the mornings (sometime between 6 and 9am) in the area that I am staying in (I'm staying at a place on Dominion Ave - from Mapquest it seems to be near Richmond Road and Berkley Ave. I don't know Ottawa at all). I would love it if there was a Masters program in the area but it is not essential. Also, any running advice in terms of routes (again, starting from the same address) and HOW DOES ONE RUN IN -30 C temp???!? As a wimpy Vancouver boy I gotta admit, I have my doubts if I can handle it. I felt pretty hard-core running in todays monsoon-like rain but Arctic-like temperatures is a whole other ball-game!!
Quote Reply
Re: ottawa swimming/running - help please [paddy-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paddy,

Here is some advice from one Vancouverite currently on a business trip to Winnipeg where there temperatures have been below -35c and a windchills of -49c. I would not run outdoors - I think you could do more harm than good to your respiratory system. I walked three blocks and my lungs were burning and my jacket became as hard as rock. Stick to the treadmill.

I have spent a lot of time in Ottawa. I am not sure about where you are staying but Carleton University could be your best bet for swimming. Great pool and I am sure they would have early morning or evening masters swimming. As for running, Ottawa is amazing. If the paths have been snow plowed down by the river and along the canal, your running will be second to none.

All the best,

Quote | Reply
Paddy

Check out the TriRudy.com website for some contact info. Rudy is based in Ottawa and there is a whole group of tri-geeks training there. Devashish Paul, who is a Slowtwitcher who posts fairly regularly trains there so if you could private message him to find out some more about the area pools (although I think Dev will be skiing in the Gats instead of swimming this time of year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably your best bet for a swimming pool close to where you are staying is the Plant Recreation Centre. It's a City of Ottawa pool that has recently been refurbished and is usually moderately busy during lane swim times. It's on the corner of Somerset and Preston (just keep heading down Richmond Road and you'll get there before you reach downtown). There are adult lane swims MWF mornings from 7:00 - 8:30. Here is a link to the full pool schedule - http://city.ottawa.on.ca/...ntral/plant_en.shtml. There are some tri groups and masters groups that swim out of a variety of pools, but most of the programs are full - especially the morning swims. As someone mentioned earlier checking out www.trirudy.com is a great idea. You might even want to join the daily mailing list and post a question about masters workouts - you'll probably get some good information.

There is also a Jewish Community Centre with a gym, fitness facilities and a nice pool located pretty close to where you are staying. I think out-of-town residents can get a weekly membership for $30 (you don't have to be Jewish). Check out http://www.jccottawa.com/programs/aquatics/ for more information.

As far as running goes, you are really close to the Ottawa River Parkway which has a great pathway system that runs along the river for about as far as you'll want to go (especially this time of year). The paths may be pretty icy and snow covered. There are a number of outdoor type stores located just east of your location on Richmond Road and I think that some of them may have running groups that meet and run from their locations. There is a bike shop called CycleLogik, which is just east of Mountain Equipment Coop on Richmond Road. Check out http://www.cyclelogik.com/sc_rideinside.shtm for info on their spinning program that you might be able to hook up with.

I live (and usually train) out in the suburbs, but work pretty close to your location. If you need any further information send me a PM.

http://www.bytowntriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like we will be out of the deep freeze by next week, so you should be OK for running.

This morning I XC skied 30K before work and just got back from an hour of coaching kids on skis. Today was the only "warm day" of the week. It was minus 19 this morning and got up to minus 12. I'll train outside in minus 20 or warmer, but as AJHull pointed out, there is no point training outside in colder than minus 20, in fact FIS won't start at World Cup ski race in those temps.

As Allan said, I'm not going to be caught dead floating in a chlorinated box until all the snow melts and it is past April 15th (thus the lame swim times), but here are pool options:

Carleton

Ottawa U

Nepean Sportsplex

Walter Baker Centre

Goulburne Rec Centre

Champlain Bath

Lowertown Pool

For a full list of pools and schedules, go to:

http://www.ottawa.ca/...mming/index_en.shtml

As for running, just put your shoes on and away you go. Whenever I travel, I don't ask for "known running routes". I just put my shoes on and explore the city I am visiting. Best way to see a new place !
Quote Reply