Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ot: any electricians in the house?
Quote | Reply
i am trying to install a new garbage disposal and have run into a wiring puzzle. under the sink there is a junction box with a switch that controls the dishwasher. the switch has a black wire from the d/w, and a red wire that goes into the wall to another switch above the sink. there is also a white wire that goes from the dishwasher into the wall to a gfci outlet above the sink. the last wire is a purple wire that is attatched to the switch above the sink and unattached in the junction box (disposal switch). i want to install and outlet under the sink to plug the disposal into. according to my voltmeter, there is voltage through white/red and white/purple. any advice?

thanks,
geoff
Quote Reply
Re: ot: any electricians in the house? [trirn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call an electrician.

Seriously, that's not some you want to mess around with. My Dad's neighbor just had a buddy do some electrical work on their house. It burned down that night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bah...what you have is an extra purple "THHN" wire because the original electrician was smart...I have seen them just pull another white, black or even green cause it is easy. The white is your hot, wire white to white, purple to dark, and make sure you ground it. Test the ground against the metal frame of the unit with a volt meter to make sure it is not hot before you run water into it...simple stuff. At any rate, you have quality wiring....where I live an electrician would not have bothered with the colors...white, black...fuck it.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I warned you!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes second the call an expert, but here is the deal if you are curious.

Provided I understand this correctly, the switch under the sink currently controls the d/w. The switch above the sink does nothing?

The black is your hot leg for the disposal but only has power after the bottom switch is turned on correct?

The white is your common

The red is your hot leg feeding the d/w switch under the sink currently

The purple used to be what fed power to the dishwasher in a previous life. Power when above sink switch is on correct?

Without looking I venture to say once upon a time the above sink switch fed at least one of two outlets below the sink(only on when switched on) and the red fed the other outlet(s) (on all of the time) If there was only two outlets total they broke the bar joining the top and bottom outlet (bar connecting the gold colored screw terminals. This would allow one outlet to be controlled by the switch and the other to have power all of the time.

The ground fault interrupt is there just because it is a good idea to have one on any line near water.

If I was doing this I would buy a new Jbox cover to hold outlets and buy the outlets. Connect the white (common) to the silver side of the outlet(s) jump it if you are putting in multiple outlets. Connect the purple to the outlet you want operated by the switch on the gold terminals, break the bar between the top and bottom outlet. Connect the red to the other gold terminals you want hot all of the time.

Again, get a professional because there are two home repairs that should never be done unless you know what you are doing: Gas line repair, and electrical. Just wanted to give some insight to what you are dealing with.
Quote Reply
Re: ot: any electricians in the house? [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need a :) or something when you are just fooling around with people. :)
Quote Reply
Re: ot: any electricians in the house? [Race4LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: ot: any electricians in the house? [Race4LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasnt fooling...but also agree that if a person is the least bit uncomfortable...call an expert. I did the install of mine and sounds the same but for colors...the switch was installed just for the disposal, the wires were capped in the box under the sink...the arrangement of the really did not matter even as all that really matters with AC that is being converted to DC is that one is hot, the other is "switched"....from there all the disposal cares is that it has power...

Disposals...funny...next thing you know we will be asking about how to satisfy a woman in bed on ST

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White is common
The two other wires are the hot wires.
I would install one duplex outlet with the small piece of metal removed that is between the screws on the brass side (screw color) of the outlet . The two hot wires to the brass side the one white to the silver side of the outlet.Don't remove the metal on the white side!!Then each outlet of the two, is switched one for the dishwasher one for the garbage disposal.

Good luck and keep one hand in your pocket ha ha

Thom

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll make attempts at my own plumbing, carpentry, mechanical work and even my own bike fitting. But there is no way in heck that I'd even consider attempting my own electrical work.

I second the advice to call an electrician.
Quote Reply
Re: ot: any electricians in the house? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
120v is just a cheep thrill ;-)

single phase that is ha ha ha

Thom
Last edited by: dirtball!: Sep 21, 05 16:30
Quote Reply
update [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i fugured it out! thanks for all of the advice. i ran my setup by my electrician uncle (who finally called me back) and all is well.

geoff
Quote Reply
Re: update [trirn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darn no shocking story!
Quote Reply
Re: ot: any electricians in the house? [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"120v is just a cheep thrill ;-) "

Yeah, I know. That's why I'll never attempt my own electrical work ever again.
Quote Reply