Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
open letter to no helmet guy on PCH
Quote | Reply
I see you riding pretty much everyday in the Encinitas area. Always in a light blue cycling kit and NO helmet. You ride up and down the coast, sometimes alone, sometimes with one other person. I'm amazed that people chose to ride with you, as I for one couldn't take the chance of seeing a friend's head broken open because they decided not to wear a helmet. Everytime I see you, you give the cycling wave, I never respond, because I think you're stupid not cool. Maybe you don't want to mess up your neatly feathered hair or maybe you are just stupid? I know it will never happen to you, right?

Anyone in North County know of the dude I'm speaking of!? He's ALWAYS riding, same kit and no helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to no helmet guy on PCH [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least wave, you never know when it is his last ride.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: open letter to no helmet guy on PCH [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!! True, very true! He's actually kind of hot, but the no helmet thing kills it for me! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a guy like that in our area. He always rides alone, nice road bike, full roadie attire, but with no helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so you wave, get a date, get into his will and then he gets his melon split in two.

I'm being sarcastic for those of you who might take it the wrong way.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 28, 05 8:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You act like it's a personal affront to you that he doesn't wear a helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to no helmet guy on PCH [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah there's also one other guy who wears a winter knit cap, it can be 90 degrees out and the guy has his winter knit cap on! haa!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I caught a buddy doing intervals without a helmet on a flat stretch of road all the triathletes train on in Atlanta. I turned around and rode up next to him.

I said "I want you to imagine your wife telling your two little girls that daddy is going to be a drooling moron for the rest of his life. Go get your helmet."

He went and put his helmet on. He later thanked me and said that he would never do that again.

My favorites are the guys who say it is too hot for a helmet, but believe they are cool enough for a doo-rag. And remember, friends do not let friends wear doo-rags. Ever!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to no helmet guy on PCH [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no not really, it's not like I'm yelling at him or anything! Actually I drove past him last night and gave him lots of room as I didn't want his brains on my windshield! :) I'm more sad for him than anything!! I just don't understand really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure your intensions are good Kerri but it ain't none of your business.

Life is full of risks some would think you are a moron for just riding a bike. What do you say to those people that base jump, tow in surf at Mavericks at 25 feet, rock climb, mountain climb, kick box.....etc etc. Everyone makes a decision about the level of risk they are willing to take in their life. It's not for us to judge their actions.

I wear a helmet on every ride. Would not leave home without it. My choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupidity is the reason. Definitely.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say that everyone takes personal risks. Some drink too much, some smoke, some don't wear helmets, some race Ironmans so hard that they end up in the med tent, some ride their bikes to work, some drive their car to work, some take the bus to work, some fly down alpine switchbacks at 80 kph with 2000 foot ravines, only inches away, some swim in openwater alone, some don't do up their seat belts.

Aside from smoking, I think I have done all of the above at some point in my life. I am 40 and for the first 20 years of my life, helmets pretty well did not exist. I wear one all the time for the past 20 years, but I can't really harp on a dude who wants wind flowing through their hair.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to no helmet guy on PCH [Andy G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mavericks is COOL!! Big wave surfing totally fascinates me!!! :D I've been to Mavericks once and I was lucky as it was going off so from the cliff I was able to see some cool stuff!! Scary stuff like that fascinates me, not wearing a helmet, not so fascinating, just dumb! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe if you wave back, he will respond with a more enthusiastic wave... causing him to lift one hand a little too high.... just as a wind gust comes along... and he loses control....... and without the helmet....

Good move on the "no wave" policy.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to no helmet guy on PCH [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Columns Dr.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you think the guy at Mavericks without a helmet on was dumb too :) - and yes they do make surfing helmets
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope!! he was HOT! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure sounds like columns...too bad it is completely tore up now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think everyone is overreacting. The state I live in has no helmet laws for motorcycles. I see people doing "wheelies" and "supermen" on their sport bikes going 80mph on the expressway. I was totally impressed when a guy did a wheelie going 75mph next to me on my way to the bars one Friday night. Then I was totally frightened when I saw a pack of riders weave through traffic like balls down a pin maze while we were going 50 and they were going 80. Maybe saw 3 helmets out of 20 in that last group.

Our city probably has a mortatilty rate of at least one to two deaths per weekend during the summer. Scary part is, I mentioned all of the stupid stunts above by sport riders, and there are still alot of deaths from people in the "Harley" crowd, who totally shun helmets. Those people are deemed higher at risk because it's typically some older guy in his 40's-50's who purchase a trophy "Harley" and has little experience riding.

I think it's silly to actually go up to a person and tell them that they should be wearing a helmet. I personally think that doing that is stepping out of your bounds and you should be minding your own business.

If you need to say something, I think the effort should be spent telling that drunk person not to get into the car, that meatloaf not to suck down 3 Whoppers at lunch, or on that idiot who insists on talking on talking on the cellphone while driving 80mph in a construction zone.

Think about the children? Please! How many people have been widowed or orphaned because of a drunk driver or a heart attack/stroke or a worker killed by a reckless driver? Do something better with your time and effort and combat those problems instead of worry about 1% of th cycling population.

I will only allow you to flame me if you can document to me that you belong to MADD, or any other program that has made an effort to combat these more important, pressing issues.

One Flaming A-Hole
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hypocrite :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I am sure your intensions are good Kerri but it ain't none of your business."

Actually, now that we have this thing called insurance, it IS our business. Who do you think pays for the continued care that this guy would get as a result of an accident? Yes, the insurance company. And who pays the insurance company? The other policy holders.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to no helmet guy on PCH [Waterski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flame you? um, no....I was simply expressing MY viewpoint on this one dude who rides without a helmet. I see him pretty much daily and I thought more about his lack of helmet yesterday. Bottom line it's his choice, but I'm not going to deny that it bothers me to see him or anyone else without a helmet. Do I lose sleep over it? no, not at all. I'm well aware there are worse things going on in the world, I was simply pointing out ONE thing which made me think twice.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to no helmet guy on PCH [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you Paul. Just in the process of living, we manage our risks. Everyone does it differently. When I started cycling, we didn't wear helmets, just caps. I raced for a number of years and had many accidents, but was lucky and never banged up my head. We later wore the nets which gave us partial protection, then came the bulky helmets and of course now the helmets are very light and cool. I wear one whenever I ride and in fact I feel naked without it BUT if someone chooses not to wear one, that's HIS/HER decision, not anybody elses. Can't criticize it because I probably do other things that are highly risky. To each his own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well I guess I can't deny that, although I think most surfing accidents are breaking necks, so a helmet wouldn't do much to prevent that from happening. I heart surfers!! :D
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to no helmet guy on PCH [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I am sure your intensions are good Kerri but it ain't none of your business."

Actually, now that we have this thing called insurance, it IS our business. Who do you think pays for the continued care that this guy would get as a result of an accident? Yes, the insurance company. And who pays the insurance company? The other policy holders.

Who do you think is underwriting the insurance payments for damage and flooding by Katrina and Wilma? When the government covers damage, like it is now, it comes out of our paid taxes that would have gone to other programs.

Who do you think will be paying the insurance when the "big one" hits California that has been predicted for the last 20 years? We will, once again through the goverment.

I don't live in any of these areas, I do not enjoy any of the benefits of living in those areas, so why should I have to pay for people who made the decision to live there? It's not like it's a total unknown. The problems with those areas have been documented in several publications.

A cyclist with a lifetime of nursing care is still a drop in the ocean compared to those other costs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next