Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
open letter to USAT about Nationals/Worlds
Quote | Reply
Dear USAT,

I am one of the 1200 athletes who were disappointed last weekend. I appreciate your communication with us and I believe that you are primarily concerned with our safety. That being said I respectfully disagree with your decision to cancel Nationals and to open up Worlds to all who showed up for packet pickup.

Triathlon is by nature a risky sport and we are deciding to incur risk any time we train or race. Rarely the odds catch up with us and we get hurt or even killed doing our sport. While I agree with your decision to cancel the swim which could have been truly dangerous, I do not think it was appropriate to cancel the rest of the race. All of us have ridden our bikes in the rain and most of us have fallen. In signing up for this race and signing the waiver we are accepting these unforeseen risks. In this case that would mean managing your speed around the corners. Undoubtedly some of us would have dumped our bike on Sat and may have even gotten hurt but that would have been related to our skills, excessive speed in relation to our skills and our freedom and responsibility to race within our skills. There would have been ways to limit the amount of people on the course by letting people go off in a less frequent TT format. I would like to think that we are the best AG triathletes in the US and could have made an informed decision for ourselves.

There were many options to consider in choosing a team to represent the US in HI. I feel you have chosen the one of the worst. By allowing every one to go, you are essentially making this a meaningless event. Unlike some of our top athletes, I have been training for years (with my VO2 max of 59) to qualify legitimately for this race. I will be damned if you are going to just hand it to me. I would have been much happier if you just used your discretion and chose a team based on our reputations/past results or took 16-20 from Shreveport. This may or may not have included me but would have at least maintained the integrity of the team and more importantly the identity of the team as "the best" (with whatever inherently flawed selection process that entails.)

I feel you ultimately had our best interests at heart and I harbor no personal animus; I just think your decisions here were poorly thought out.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to USAT about Nationals/Worlds [superfli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much of that the big cheese will even understand. He's not a triathlete from what I hear. He's not even a very good administrator from the looks of things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A vo2 max of 59. Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
TROLL!!!!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOSSSSSEEEERRRRR.
Last edited by: synchronicity: Aug 17, 05 15:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least have huevos enough to sign your name.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I will be damned if you are going to just hand it to me.
If you don't like it then don't go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get all the hateful comments being posted for Superfli's letter to USAT.

I'd likely write the same letter if I was in his shoes.

Somebody please explain what's so offensive about what he wrote?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with the original poster. I wasn't there, nor was being there a goal of mine, but if it was I would have been pissed at the situation. If I had work hard training to earn a spot at worlds and then it was just handed to me that would totally devalue everyone of those morning workouts and long hours out on the road. I could have just slept till 8:30 and sent my nights watching the tube instead of training and achieved the same result. By giving everyone a free slot those slots were essentially made worthless - just a vacation for any slob with the money who wants to go like every other race out there.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to USAT about Nationals/Worlds [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no problems with the letter. They should have signed their name.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't there, don't know all the facts. I am in complete agreement w/ you that USAT had already lawyered up w/ their waiver and could've held an altered race w/o the swim. Good point, and I think you're right. But why in the hell did you go into your VO2 max and the whiny bit about allowing the less qualified into Worlds??

Let's be honest...no one outside of our tiny world of tri-geeks gives a damn about Worlds and absolutely no one gives a damn about your VO2 max.

Go race, have fun, quit telling people about your V02 max and mingle with your slower fellow racers. You might find they're good people just enjoying the race and not all caught up in the fame and glory that accompanies competing in a World Championship that no one has ever heard of.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to USAT about Nationals/Worlds [Eddy Would Go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many will go, but few will place and be given the title of USA Team Member. Those same few who place are the same ones who would have qualified had Nationals happened (or they did well at Shreveport). So, what's the real beef?

At least someone who should have qualified didn't crash due to being struck by lightning, lost in a flash flood or who now has the 'cold of the century.' They're still around to rightfully compete at World's.

What competitor went out and checked the course conditions to determine the wrong call was made on cancelling the race?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the letter, minus the "me" paragraph. Who care about your Vo2? You almost sound bitter than you weren't able to kick everyone's ass, stand up on the podium, folks bow at your ability so you can feel your greatness......gimme a break.

All valid points in the 2nd paragraph.

I hope you send it.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to USAT about Nationals/Worlds [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to the thread in general.

The original poster is upset because he has worked had to reach his talents potential and has been deprived of the opportunity to reap the reward of his hard work. He mentioned his VO2max not to brag, but to emphasize that he is not a uber-talent (59 VO2max predicts like a 16high 5K), but a hard working average Joe who is striving to be more than average. He is not saying that worlds is the end all and be all of triathlon - just that it was his goal relative to his ability, his everymans olympics, like the Boston Marathon once was. Everyone needs a goal - the BOP wants to finish, the MOP wants a PR, the FOP wants the prize money. How would you feel if you trained and put in the time to finish a marathon and they stopped you at mile 18 and gave you your finishers medal and called of the rest of the race - Would you be satisfied?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me call the Wam bulance, God you seem arrogant.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to USAT about Nationals/Worlds [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I like the letter, minus the "me" paragraph. Who care about your Vo2? You almost sound bitter than you weren't able to kick everyone's ass, stand up on the podium, folks bow at your ability so you can feel your greatness......gimme a break. [reply]

Whats wrong with wanting to kick everyones ass and stand on the podium. Does every triathlon have to be a hug fest? Some people are externally rather than internally motivated - nothing wrong with that.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to USAT about Nationals/Worlds [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having read Mark's explaination of the circumstances and the day of decision I've no question canceling was the only decision to be made. People do die, or become permanently injured in poor sports event decisions. Triathletes expect and deserve a safe course which this was apprently not even close (remember its not base jumping, eco challenge or even off road tri). Given course conditions it wouldn't have been a measure of triathlete skill...only survival. 1200 people showed up on August 13th expecting to try and compete for slots in an Olympic distance tri on a raod course. Everybody deserves a level playing field who came prepared to race that day. Now the competition will take place in Hawaii based upon those who still think they can compete. Its still US soil actually. So Hawaii is both the worlds and to some the degree nationals. I don't see the problem given the circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to USAT about Nationals/Worlds [Colin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is a VO2 max of 59 suppose to be high? I thought something in that range was fairly average for an endurance athlete.

I didn't take it as bragging certainly. Now I'm really confused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
{EDIT}

You are right, no good can come from slamming someone for their beliefs. My Apologies.
Last edited by: OCTriGeek: Aug 17, 05 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: open letter to USAT about Nationals/Worlds [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is not bragging, he is pointing out that he is average and this was a big goal for him. 59 for a VO2max is very average for a well trained endurance athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm probably missing something, but if a racer wants to kick ass and stand on the podium, couldn't they do that at Worlds? I thought the decision to let everyone go was a good one.

I think NYtrigal's posts on this subject make it clear that there really is no better decision than to let the folks who showed up at Nats, but couldn't race, go to worlds. Those that would have been BOP at Nats will be BOP at Worlds. Those who are competitve at Nats will be competitve at Worlds, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus, of all the loser screen names you could have picked today, you had to pick my loser screen name. Come on!

Seriously though, it is hard to take your intentions seriously, when you're almost trying to brag about a VO2 (which is not all that impressive) which is irrelevant as to your ability to make it to nationals, and you probably don't have clue one of what it takes to put on a race or why decisions are made in those unique circumstances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"This may or may not have included me but would have at least maintained the integrity of the team and more importantly the identity of the team as "the best" "

Sorry dude, there are a ton of athletes that dont give a shit about nationals or worlds. That group has some of the best, but hardly all of the best. Its kinda like believing a USAT rank has a whole lot of meaning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trust the staff made the right call on cancelling the race. I'm not so sure they used good judgement just letting all who showed up go to Worlds. Nevertheless, a friend of mine went to Nationals (and had a excellent chance of winning men's 50-54) with two goals: the ranking points and making it to Worlds. Nothing can be done about the ranking points, but he's thrilled to be going to Worlds - goal accomplished.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought my "letter" was respectful and thoughtful. I guess some people here did not think so, so sorry if I offended anyone- I did not mean to. No folks, it was not just about "me"; I was trying to echo the sentiments of alot of folks I have spoken with. Thanks Eddy for pointing out that the inclusion of my VO2 was to point out that I am not an elite triathlete who wants "to kick everyone's ass" but on the cusp of being good enough to make AG worlds. PLease do not respond with sarcasm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I was not present at Nationals, it is in my opinion that: Should there be dangerous conditions such as excessive rain, lightning and thunder then there is only one choice. Cancellation if postponement is delayed time and time again. Some of you may recall Edmonton 2004 World Cup, the final qualifier for team Canada Olympic team. During the female elite race hail began first in a green pea size, before all competitors went through T2. The conditions did not improve, as hail became larger and came down in downpour status. The race was completed although it was in conditions most individuals would not train in. The male elite race was to follow, but after very near lightning, a tornado that helped force a collapse in the roof of the largest Mall in Canada, and approximately 25cm of rain on most challenging parts of the bike course, the race was first postponed for a half hour. All local authorities were consuled (air traffic control weather at Edmonton airport, weather service, police and medical the decision was made to cancel. This is always a difficult decision to make because competitors are amped to go by race time. By taking part in second guessing decisions made on behalf of ALL competitors by those of a National Federation, local weather authorities, local safety personnel as well as officials with the utmost responsibility to allow each competitor their fair and equal opportunity to compete, is at least irresponsible and unfounded.

If you would train in the same sort of weather, you do it at your own risk. Once you become part of an organized event that has National competitive results as its goal, then the responsibility of competing is wrested on the shoulders of the National Federation, the Local Organizing Committee along with the local authorities. Keep this in mind if you wish to continue to shirk responsibility and feel it necessary to loosely blame those that take on the responsibility of your opportunity to compete.

I wonder if the songs would be the same if the race was allowed to continue and there were any less than favourable outcomes, such as multiple serious injuries or worse. How is it said? You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Be thankful that there is such a group of individuals that stood in the rain and tried every conceiveable option and contingency to let this race go on if there wasn't an 'Act of God'
Quote Reply

Prev Next