Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

on Supersonics and road quality
Quote | Reply
I've searched and read all the other posts on supersonics but I still can't decide. I am doing a half and 2 olympics this summer - spirit of Racine, lake Zurich and Chicago - I know the roads are decent in Chicago but dont know what to expect at Racine (formerly dairlyand) and lake zurich. Right now my setup is a specialized trispoke up front and renn 575 rear. I am going to run a 700x20c GP3000 on the renn and am debating supersonic or GP 3000 for the front. (would run 700x20) I realize this is only 30 grams at most and not worth obsessing over but this is the way I am... Does anyone know if these tris have bad roads or can I get away with the 120miles or so and the lighter supersonic? I am on a saber and weigh around 170 if it makes any difference - I tend to run around 140 psi.

I dont want to flat but I will use standard conti tubes and am not talking alot of mileage - also I've never flatted ever on my road/ tri bike and I've ridden alot.

Considered Tufos but seem heavier for no reason.
Quote Reply
Re: on Supersonics and road quality [ictheostega] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a fan of the supersonic having poor luck with them. I do like the GP3000 though it is not my first choice of clincher. You might even think of running a 23mm rear tire. Yes the TUFO is slightly heaver than the GP3000 but you are also weighing the tube and rim strip. With the TUFO tub/clin you remove the rim strip from the wheel and save a few grams there.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give a big thumbs up on the Supersonic. I have 700x23 on my Zipp 404s for my race wheels. Used them all last season and into this season: 1 sprint, 4 olympic, 1 half IM and IM WI. 300 race miles + 2-300 pre-race/tune-up miles. All miles in the Denver, Boulder, Loveland, CO area, except IM WI. Other facts: 6'4", 195#, QR TiPhoon.

The rear tire is done, as I locked up the back tire at some point, giving the rear tire a flat spot and a small cut in it (something sharp while locked up?). However, I had zero problems during all my races.

I am giving tubulars a try now, using Zipp 700x21 tires, and staying with Zipp 404s.

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: on Supersonics and road quality [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Supersonics both front and rear. A few things I noticed.....

I have done 1 sprint on them thus far and plan on doing Ironman CDA on them.

1. They are a hard tire, they max out at 170 for pressure.

2. No sign of wear yet but I only did a sprint onthem and 1 30 mile training ride.

3. They were hard to get on and off. I have done it a few times changing rims and putting in new tubes and they did loosen up some.

4. So far I like them, they ride hard but feel fast.

I hope this helps...... Oh one more thing one tire went on a Hed 3 and the other a Renn disk. It was harder getting it on the Hed and not to bad putting it on the disk.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: on Supersonics and road quality [Danco3636] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Supersonics also but they just dont last. Lock it up once and they are closed to being finished. So not worth the $$. I prefer the GP3000 for what you get out of them.
Quote Reply
Re: on Supersonics and road quality [kestrelguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 3000s do seem like better value for $$$. I may go either way - however this setup is lighter than the tufo - at something like ~70g for a standard tube plus 155g for a supersonic thats 225g vs 305 for the Tuffo - also I only have a small strip of rim tape on the renn - and rim tape weighs next to nothing. If you get the tuffo you also have the extra ~60g for the clincher rim over a tubular rim. And I'm not sure but do you have to carry a whole spare or are you relying on a small tube of 'sealant'? - that doesn't seem very bombproof to me. Its a cool idea and I may have to try it some day but its definitely not the lightest option and my wheels are already pretty heavy (cheaper aero wheels can stand to lose weight in the tire dept esp if they are clinchers) - I realize that the physics is such that weight isn't all its cracked up to be but keeping it down doesn;t hurt - esp when it costs more to gain weight (as Tuffo Jett specials are ~$52 vs $46 for the supersonics)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$39.95 from Biketiresdirect.com

Very fast shipping

jaretj
Quote Reply