Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

night calories no different from day calories... NYTIMES
Quote | Reply
http://www.nytimes.com/...9/health/19real.html?

July 19, 2005 The Claim: You Gain More Weight by Eating at Night By ANAHAD O'CONNOR

THE FACTS There must be something magic about 8 p.m. Citing sluggish metabolism at the end of the day or even the notion that no one burns calories in the middle of the night - sleepwalkers notwithstanding - scrupulous dieters for years have said that any calories consumed after that time are bound to count more.

But experts say a calorie at noon is no different from a calorie at night.

Arlene Spark, an associate professor of nutrition at Hunter College in New York, says some people who eat at night do so after skimping all day. When they finally eat at night, they are likely to grab the first thing in sight, which is usually junk food, Dr. Spark said.

There are also people who eat full meals during the day and get extra calories at night simply because they decide to eat again anyway.

People who shed pounds or maintain their weight, on the other hand, do not tend to eat as much at night, usually because they get the calories they need during the day. So by late evening, Dr. Spark said, they either have no cravings or they control them. In either case, they stay within their caloric limits.

Few studies have tested this in humans. But several tests on animals, including one at the Oregon Health & Science University in 2003, have shown that nighttime calories are no more fattening than daytime ones.

"At the end of the day, the calories you take in must equal the calories you expend," Dr. Spark said.

THE BOTTOM LINE Calories do not count more in the evening.

----------

“You can't coach desire.” --Dathan Ritzenhein
http://xtreme4.com/ -- an extreme ride for extreme change: go green
Last edited by: audentia: Jul 19, 05 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: night calories no different from day calories... NYTIMES [audentia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I wasted my time last night with that bowl of ice cream? Dang it. Next time I'll eat it for breakfast.
Quote Reply
Re: night calories no different from day calories... NYTIMES [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now that's a damn fine idea. ice cream with melted PB and choco syrup can be a great meal.
Quote Reply
Re: night calories no different from day calories... NYTIMES [audentia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I control my weight by eating a big breakfast, a big lunch and only some cheese or potato chips or nothing for dinner (with a couple of beers of course to remain properly hydrated). I'm hungry before I go to bed but I would rather be hungry when I'm sleeping than one of those people who are hungry all day. This of course is very unscientific but it's common sense that being hungry while your sleeping is not as discomforting as being hungry while your awake. I have no idea about the good/bad calorie issue.
Quote Reply
Re: night calories no different from day calories... NYTIMES [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that would be pretty hard on your liver actually...

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This article really over simplifies things and thus misses a huge point of importance.

As athlete's Growth Hormone is our friend (I am talking about the stuff you produce yourself, not the injected stuff which is of course doping, and cheating), it helps us recover from our workouts and also helps shift our fuel supply toward fats instead of carbs. One thing that triggers growth hormone is deep sleep, the main release coming about 1 hour after going to bed. So more Growth Hormone equals better recovery and increased use of fat as fuel during your overnight fasting.

The problem with eating to soon before bedtime has to do with insulin. Insulin tells the body to quit burning fats in favor of carbs in order to level out blood sugar levels. Take note that this is the exact opposite effect of GH (i.e. Insulin = burn sugar not fat, GH = burn fat not sugar). So part of the interaction is that insulin blocks GH release so it is not inhibiting the reduction of blood sugar. If you eat a short time before going to bed you are going to get a spike in insulin that will be around for a few hours. Sleeping during this time will mean that the normal bedtime release of GH will be inhibited, you will not burn as much fat during the night, and you will not recover as completely. Recovery is even further hampered by the potential need to catabolize muscle in order to meet the nighttime energy demands that fats are now no longer available to meet.

In other words...

Eat within an hour of bedtime: less GH release, less recovery, less fat burned, more fat stored

Eat 2-3+ hours before bedtime: more GH release, more recovery, more fat burned, less fat stored

So yes, a calorie is always a calorie, however exactly what that calorie is used for and where it ultimately ends up in your body is very much decided by when you eat that last meal of the day.
Quote Reply
Re: night calories no different from day calories... NYTIMES [rroobbcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info. Thanks for that.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course. A calorie is a calorie. Doesn't matter when you buy it, when you eat it, what it's from (fat, carbs, protein), it's still a calorie.

I eat the vast majority of my daily calories after 8pm (usually including lunch, dinner, and several large snacks). I started this in high school, and my mom freaked out about it. I asked the doctor. She said, " it doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you eat well."

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: night calories no different from day calories... NYTIMES [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean because of the 2 beers?
Quote Reply
Re: night calories no different from day calories... NYTIMES [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And let me tell you folks, Colin is no fatty! The guy is a rail (compared to my fat ass, at least) and just smoked the whole lot of us at a HOT HOT HOT half IM on Sunday (see the iwoniwoniwoniwoniwon thread). So to combine the advice of Colin and rroobbcc, save all your meals to eat between 8pm and 9pm, and go to bed at 10 pm.
Last edited by: ahoodlum: Jul 19, 05 17:56
Quote Reply