Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
new format of Inside Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else think the new format of Inside Triathlon stinks. Its a shame because of I really liked the old version.
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the new format and the emphasis on AG athletes. It gives a guy like me more people I can identify with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont like it, especially them dissing lokelani mccmichael. she is great spokesperson/model for tri.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I need to see how it develops, but I would like to see the old amount of race reports of how the pros did. I don't see why it has to be a case of either a report from the age groupers' race or from the pros' race, why can't we have both?

At the end of the day, it will all depend on if you are local to these races and if you know the individuals.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I DONT want to hear about age groupers. I know enough of them. They are nothing special. The pros in every sport are special in that they can do what they do better than most people on the planet. This is what I want to hear about. I don't want to hear about some age grouper in Colorado or California.

Tell me about the ITU World Cup in Hungary, give me 10 pages of coverage on Zofingen, tell me about Norman Stadler's training camp in Majorca with Team Telekom. This is much more exciting than hearing about a person like you or I cramming in 3 hour workouts before his kids get up. Big deal. All of us do it.
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Would anyone buy a book by the guy who finished last in the TdF because he is closer to our abilities than Lance? The new Inside Tri sucks. They should have let American Triathlon continue to do what it does best, rather than trying to steal their idea, which is what they essentially admit to doing.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually American Tri went out of business and IT picked up their subscriptions.

www.americantri.com

Personally, I really liked American Tri and was bummed to see it go down.
Last edited by: M J Moquin: Nov 4, 04 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [M J Moquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No s--t?! That is too bad. But I don't think the new inside tri is as good as American Tri was or as IT used to be...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped subscribing to Inside Tri and Tri magazine. The ads got out of hand and the coverage was always out of date. Recycled training articles and routines.

You can get most information from their websites anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [M J Moquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you guys on more coverage of the pros and ITU races. As much as I like reading about joe average and how he trains for Ironman with a full time job on 10 hours a week - i know that story already. i live it...

I read the cycling mags sometimes as well and you don't see much in the way of stories about how the Cat 3 crit finished in DeMoins or who won the Arkansas State Championship. Not that they aren't important to the people who did those races. I want to read about the Giro preview in April and the Tour preview in June. I think it's pretty funny that the InsideTri Kona preview arrived at my local book store the week before the race - i figure the people who have subscriptions probably got the issue later then i did.

I would like to read more about training camps & what Tim deBoom & Peter Reid do all summer long to get ready for Kona. I'd like to hear about why Simon Lessing decided to race Ironman and what he thinks about it now.
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you guys want a good view of what a tri mag should look like, pick up Cycle Sport some time. This is the ultimate mag for a cycling fan, who follows pro cycling. Since a lot of the articles are behind the scenes, they are typically timeless in nature. The gear freaks on this board undoubtedly would love the coverage of the "pro rides" etc.

You can't make money in the print business offering "race coverage" like they do on the internet, but one month late. If you are going to be one month late, you need to give us the 1 page interview with Peter Reid on what actually happened inside the "hawi express" or the "2 page interview" with Heather Fuhr and how the new format affected her race and those of top women from the "inside". If I want splits at T2, I can just pull down the results on Ironmanlive/Sportstats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The music section is really lame too. Also, why did they review a bike messenger's bag in the current issue? Who cares that the owner of Trek did an Ironman in 14 hours? Or that someone who got into Kona by way of the lottery finished in 13 hours? That's great, but we all do that, and its not very interesting reading. I think the new format of the magazine may be as bad as Runner's World or Bicycling Magazine. Also, there is way too much white space in the magazine and even the font is bad - very unexciting. Before the last 2 months, I thought Inside Tri was a great magazine; I hope they go back to the way they were.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had read that American Tri's old editor is now Inside Tri's new editor. Hence the "new" look is like the "old" Amer Tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pure crap!

It used to be by far the best of the Tri magazines, now crap!

There is a reason that American Tri went out of business. It was boring. Whoever signed off on the decision to change Inside Tri to a failed business model should be fired!

This sport is changing - can you feel it?
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OC, bravo. I can't believe that no one stated that before. How do you hire the head of a magazine that went out of business and tell him to change a successful (at least IT seemed sucessful) and run it like his old business, which just went kaput?

Where is the head of PanAm now? Or the guy responsible for BetaMax? FIRED!

Let's get The Donald into triathlon...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best thing they could do is stop printing articles and just put out a mag w/ pics. Maybe a brief tech writeup on cool wheels and bikes but no more. Or they could copy 220 mag in the UK.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to subscribe to many different magazines for all the different hobbies I had. Cyclesport is the only one I still have and look forward to reading every month. I still do the other hobbies, but Cyclesport is alway a good read. Although you do pay for it.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, Cyclesport costs a good coin, but it is certainly worth it. It goes as a perfect compliment to your guy's pad image ! Throw is a couple of issues of the Economist Magazine and you have a complete compliment of good solid British journalism, heavy on content and light on fluff. Just recently, I finally conceded and let my wife throw out a decade worth of back issues on the Economist. She'd never dream of throwing out back issues of Cycle Sport. Those are like a historical record of the sport of pro cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I see that you are like me and keep old magazines. How many here keep old issues of mags they love? I keep all old issues of: Inside Tri, Triathlete, Cyclesport, Wine Spectator, Race Tech, and Race Car Engineering (the last two are UK race car engineering mags). Anyone else a packrat for the favorite 'zines??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar, I keep every copy of Cyclesport. The Economist collection has gone to the landfill. I do keep some copies of Insidetri and Triathlete, typically, those editions that covered Hawaii, the old Nice tri in the 80's when Allen was cleaning up as well as issues that had good coverage of ITU world's (I've kept none in the last 5 years since the coverage is lame). Also kept issues from the Olympic Games. Any copies of Runner's World and Bicycling that I pick up at the magazine stores in the airports on long flights just stay somewhere in the airport before I get my next connection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. In addition to hoarding all copies of 220, Inside Tri, Triathlete, and Transitions (Ontario Association of Triathletes) I also hold onto The Nation (I'm a despondent leftist these days......), Vegetarian Times, most issues of Running Times, some issues of Runners World, and a random selection of natural history and blues magazines. My wife is forever on my case about my "piles of paper". (I'm guilty as charged.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see any reason to hold onto Economist back issues since subscribers to the dead trees version also have included access to their web site archive.

Currently saving- Bloodhorse and assorted architecture and interior design magazines. Tri magazines, I'll tear out any useful looking articles and save those.
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Currently saving- Bloodhorse . . . "

In 1969 I made my lone foray into the world of thoroughbred ownership, purchasing a yearling filly by All Hands. Mine (Little Green Apple) accomplished absolutely nothing in a short and desultry career, but her half-brother (given the name of Pass Catcher) beat the people's choice, Canonero II, to win the Belmont Stakes in 1971. I subscribed to both the Bloodhorse and the Thoroughbred Record for years, and saved every issue . . . but somewhere in the dustbin of time (and moves, and a puzzled wife), they ended up missing. You have succeeded in making me nostalgic.

Lew
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [Lew Kidder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. New Format Sucks and will not last (see "AmericanTri-lame").

2. Who actually subscribes to Triathlete/InsideTri? You can read the whole thing in 5 minutes at Barnes & Noble. Oh, THAT's who subscribes.

2.5 Make that two minutes if you spend a couple minutes on their website/month. Free.

3. Isn't a main reason people pay to compete in triathlons that they want to see how their time matches against the winners? And then against their own PR's? For a lot of people it is.

4. I could give a rat's ass about a non-pro's results 1,000 miles from where I live. And I'm a non-pro in triathlon who loves to compete.

5. I'd rather read about dudes breaking 8hrs, and the training that lead up to it.

6. Name another successful magazine anywhere on the planet that covers "age groupers/amateurs".

7. If someone wants AG stats they can log onto www.usatriathlon.org, which SHOULD have up to date rankings, results, and race calendars. Whoopeeeee.

Worthless Rant,

Issaquah
Quote Reply
Re: new format of Inside Triathlon [ISSAQUAH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure you meant to reply to my post? It was actually a digression into the world of thoroughbred racing.

But, now that you've raised the subject, my guess is you are too new to triathlon to remember Triathlon Today. We covered the entire sport in North America, with regional editions and stories/results of over 1,000 races each year. Did the first All-American Team, with profiles of the top ten in each age group and honorable mentions to another 15. Introduced relative unknowns like Terry Laughlin and Joe Friel to the broader triathlon community. Covered the pros too . . . in fact, we covered damn near everything. Started in 1986, eventually made money, sold to Inside Communications in 1993 - (and they thought so much of our success, they promptly changed the name to Inside Triathlon - which makes their recent change in editorial direction so deiiciously ironic. Note that they give credit to American Tri for being the "first magazine to cover age group athletes").

Lew
Quote Reply

Prev Next