Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: new Power meter, again [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
I've read through that before and its good and useful work, but germain to the point at hand all I conclude is you trust the calibration procedures from the manufacturer and hope that they are doing it correctly. thats certainly a valid and expedient way of doing it, but in no way does it address the issue of "does you particular PM give accuarate mesurements." For the most popular meters (Quark, PT, SRM etc) I'm certain its sufficient for any training purposes, but its certainly doesn't rise to NIST level of tracebility.

That you don't understand how the hint is related to both accuracy and precision is now evident. That you think that I'm as ill-informed as you is inaccurate (and possibly imprecise).
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
That would be more of a concern, but I'm not sure that its not a concern with any PM. None of the PM account for power wasted prior to the strain gauges.

I'm not talking about wasted energy... but forces and strain that will confound the measurement.

Compare it to measuring the twist on a spindle which is relatively straightforward.

I think you are over analyzing this. Sure the pedal being offset on the spindle will create a bending moment on a couple different planes. But, you only care about one of those planes. This is the plane that applies a moment to rotate the spindle. So you arrange the strain gauges to measure this bending and ignores the other deflections. To ignore the other deflections you arragne your gauges to cancel out these deflections, so you will have extra strain gauges that are not measuring your primary deflection. These are pretty well know principles.
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a proper arrangement of strain gauges, they'll know the composition of the stresses at the measuring location and be able to work out how much is being applied in the direction tangential to the pedal circle. The rest is just calibrating to a known load. Mechanical Engineering 101.

Of course they can take a reading and get a number... the question is how accurate it will be. They are measuring strain over a small area on one side of the arm... an arm with a complex shape that has complex forces applied. Even if the strain is measured perfectly, and it's precisely calibrated, I'm pretty sure there will be a range of potential torque values (well in excess of 2%).

Maybe if I get bored I'll get out a structures book dig into it more.

Another thing... if you were tasked out of the blue to make a power meter for a bike, measuring the strain on a crankarm would definitely be a scheme that you'd look at. If can be done accurately, why has no one done it? It's way simpler than the pedal based ones.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
With a proper arrangement of strain gauges, they'll know the composition of the stresses at the measuring location and be able to work out how much is being applied in the direction tangential to the pedal circle. The rest is just calibrating to a known load. Mechanical Engineering 101.

Of course they can take a reading and get a number... the question is how accurate it will be. They are measuring strain over a small area on one side of the arm... an arm with a complex shape that has complex forces applied. Even if the strain is measured perfectly, and it's precisely calibrated, I'm pretty sure there will be a range of potential torque values (well in excess of 2%).

I suspect that they talk with the manufacturer to know the exact cross section inertia and position of the COG of the measurement point of the strain gauges. With the right arrangement and neglecting dynamical effects, the measurement is pretty straightforward

http://cds-0.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Ok I'll play along. How do you measure the accuracy of a PM without, at some time, assuming one is the Gold Standard, or relying on the company's word that theirs is calibrated properly.

For most users all we need is a PM that gives a reasonably accurate, repeatable number. It really doesn't matter if that number is watts, HP or just a number.

Exactly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done this, but I believe there is a process to check the calibration of a powertap by hanging a known weight on a pedal and reading the torque, etc. Obviously, care needs to be taken to ensure it's done properly, but it is my understanding that you can check the accuracy of a powertap in this manner. I just assume the auto-zero function works on mine. I haven't found a need to check the accuracy.

The guys who are performing field tests to try and estimate their CdA, etc., will need the accuracy, for more accurate numbers.

It can be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Thanks for the update. You could always put another unit on the other crank arm and have separate L/R channels for anyone that wants that at 2x the price (mostly kidding, but I bet someone would buy it, still cheaper than some other PMs).

My guess is the reason they put it on the left crankarm is that putting the unit on the right side would interfere with the chainrings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have seen this before....

remember the Metrigear (speedplay-based system), which made a HUGE splash and never came to market. Now its the "Garmin Vector" and by all accounts, that is a dead product...
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and make it more difficult/time consuming to change batteries
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [JGell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JGell wrote:
We have seen this before....

remember the Metrigear (speedplay-based system), which made a HUGE splash and never came to market. Now its the "Garmin Vector" and by all accounts, that is a dead product...

The world is full of failed product introductions. The lack of success of Metrigear or garmin is no reason to believe that Stages falls into the same category.

As I said earlier, I have worked with Doug and Pat before. They know product development and how to bring a product to market. I would say the chances of this product following in the footsteps of Garmin or Metrigear are pretty small (assuming there is funding to go into full production).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sincerely hope it succeeds...the market needs another player.

I was merely stating the excitement of this product mirrors that of the other 2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

The important part of the statement I made is the part I bolded above. It's all about the arrangement of the strain gauge rosettes. You have a fixed load point (the pedal threads) and a fixed "base" (the spindle attachment), so it ends up being a fairly trivial problem to solve.

rruff wrote:
Another thing... if you were tasked out of the blue to make a power meter for a bike, measuring the strain on a crankarm would definitely be a scheme that you'd look at. If can be done accurately, why has no one done it? It's way simpler than the pedal based ones.

I think the lack of crankarm based power meters to this point is more a function of the lack of wireless communications, combined with the necessity of combining 2 signals to create a full power reading. That is what has really hampered that development up until now. Sure, ANT+ has been out for quite a while now, but it also came about at the same time that BB bracket "standards" exploded and getting something to work on most of the variations of crankarm attachments these days was a big hurdle.

That said, if you recall from Eurobike, this isn't the ONLY crankarm-based PM being introduced. Don't forget that Rotor is producing one as well...with both sides being measured.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...tor-power-meter.html

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [Fooshee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fooshee wrote:
I've never done this, but I believe there is a process to check the calibration of a powertap by hanging a known weight on a pedal and reading the torque, etc. Obviously, care needs to be taken to ensure it's done properly, but it is my understanding that you can check the accuracy of a powertap in this manner. I just assume the auto-zero function works on mine. I haven't found a need to check the accuracy.

Right. That's a static calibration check. A watt is just a Newton*meter/sec, so all you need is a known mass, a known distance, a known time, and a reliable measurement of gravity, and even styrrell can probably find those. Some PMs allow you to do static checks, like the Power Tap, the Quarq, and the SRM -- so you don't need an additional PM to calibrate against. However, some other PMs (among them, the Ergomo, the iBike, and evidently the Look/Polar) don't allow you to do static checks, so you have to check them dynamically. One way, but not, as styrrell seems to think, the only way, is to check them against a known good PM. Most manufacturers do this against a known standard dynamic test rig -- but most home users don't have access to rigs like this. So there's another way you can check the accuracy and precision in a dynamic test if you have enough other information. That was the hint that styrrell couldn't figure out.

Quote:
The guys who are performing field tests to try and estimate their CdA, etc., will need the accuracy, for more accurate numbers.

It can be done.

Yup.

And, at a minimum, you should do a static calibration check (if your PM allows you to do that) if you care about the quality of the output.

Many years ago my cousin's dumb kid bought a fancy TI-clone hand calculator with graphing capability and programmability and an enormous number of dedicated functions for a startlingly low price. As my cousin described it, his son claimed "all those features more than make up for the fact that it's missing a key for the number '9.'"

Features are nice. Being able to check the accuracy of your PM is like having the 9.
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just bugging the heck out of me. I work in calibration, torque and speed (among other measurements) are things I do every day.

Accuracy is what everyone is after not so much precision since they all display in 1 watt increments.

Accuracy is how close you are to the standard.
Precision is at what degree you can measure with as in 10 watts, 1 watts or .1 watts.

Every PM I've seen measure with the same precision, 1 watt, however they may not have the same accuracy. Please stop using accuracy and precision interchangeably.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
This is just bugging the heck out of me. I work in calibration, torque and speed (among other measurements) are things I do every day.

Accuracy is what everyone is after not so much precision since they all display in 1 watt increments.

Accuracy is how close you are to the standard.
Precision is at what degree you can measure with as in 10 watts, 1 watts or .1 watts.

Every PM I've seen measure with the same precision, 1 watt, however they may not have the same accuracy. Please stop using accuracy and precision interchangeably.

jaretj

Here's something you may find interesting. Many years ago I did a "Rosetta Stone" comparison of the SRM Amateur, (wired) PT Pro, and Polar S710. Here are the speed and cadence readings for the same ride.

Last edited by: RChung: Sep 18, 12 8:08
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [PatW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PatW wrote:
styrrell and others:

There will be much more comparison data available soon. We have been testing for over 2 years and yes our bikes look as "interesting" with all the devices to record the data. We did end up creating an app so we can make recording multiple devices much easier and with data that overlays each other perfectly. Not to mention we got rid of some of the head units on our bikes. Our website will be going live on Tuesday and will have much more information. We will continue to provide comparison data, we have ridden thousands and thousands of miles with just about every make of power meter out there at the same time as ours. Yes, we have ridden with a Quarq on the other side of our power meter.

We also have a very high end Dyno, so we can test all the different variations of power meters.

The bottom line, we are as accurate and in many cases more accurate than the competition on our measured power. Yes, we double this and assume that your right and left leg are doing the same amount of work. From our thousands of miles compared to all of the competition, we don't see an impact at all on how you would use the data to train. Yes, some riders have a slight offset on one leg but it is usually less than 4 to 5%, but from ride to ride it is very consistent. Meaning that you can base your training and gains from it.

As to the comparison of the Ergomo, we don't use an optical sensor like they did. We are using a custom array of strain gages to measure the torque applied to the crank arm.

Thanks for noticing that we have been quiet! We were very intentional about this. We like you, have heard the many promises over the past few years. We certainly did not want to make a promise before we were ready. Our design is complete, we are simply testing the final version of the hardware and processes. So January it is.

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks,

Pat
Stages Cycling

Must be the one stating its coming soon. Its Tuesday and looking for more info. Any pre-orders?

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best example ever of "chasing watts"?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Hmmm...let's see...I've got a 6 year old PT wheel that still is accurate, precise, and stable (I can check it, and do so)...oh, and a couple of Quarqs (prototypes, no less) that range in age from ~1-3 years old that are also accurate, precise, and stable.

So if the PT and Quarq meet your standards, how close to them will the Stages have to be to also meet your standards? Within 1%? 0.5%? Or will you want it to come within a certain percentage of the true standard from the testing rig referenced in this thread?
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting how the sampling rate and time of sample can change things. If people only knew how much signal filtering goes on in testing and how it can minipulate data.

I would like to know how the different measurement devices do their calculation. They may take the raw signals or counts (like SLC 500's do) and calculate power or they may change to engineering units and then do the math with those values. My guess would be the latter.

The comparison is very interesting, did you do a guage R&R study too? :)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninesixfour wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Hmmm...let's see...I've got a 6 year old PT wheel that still is accurate, precise, and stable (I can check it, and do so)...oh, and a couple of Quarqs (prototypes, no less) that range in age from ~1-3 years old that are also accurate, precise, and stable.

So if the PT and Quarq meet your standards, how close to them will the Stages have to be to also meet your standards? Within 1%? 0.5%? Or will you want it to come within a certain percentage of the true standard from the testing rig referenced in this thread?

Well...since as of yet they don't plan on allowing for a static check, then I'd have to say I'd like it to be fairly close to a Quarq (which I CAN statically check/calibrate) since the only difference between the 2 should be the BB bearing losses that the left crankarm measurement "sees" that the spider doesn't (admittedly, those losses should be very small - despite what ceramic BB vendors want you to believe - but, as evidenced by the high seal drag in the Ergomo, could end up being a factor). I think I'll try to put a bug in their ear on Thursday to encourage them to include the ability to adjust the torque slope in the field.

If there's one thing I've learned when playing around with a bevy of PMs over the years, it's that it's important to be able to at least check the calibration (torque slope for strain gauge based devices) "as mounted", even for units that are "factory calibrated". Things tend to change when you mount them on a bike...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: new Power meter, again [FrostyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 ???

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
If there's one thing I've learned when playing around with a bevy of PMs over the years, it's that it's important to be able to at least check the calibration (torque slope for strain gauge based devices) "as mounted", even for units that are "factory calibrated". Things tend to change when you mount them on a bike...

What do you do if the calibration is off? Can you adjust it somehow? I'm a PT user so I just "zero" it once a week or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks awesome. I think it'd be great for someone like me, who doesn't care about absolute numbers, but rather relative numbers for targeting training and racing wattage levels. + for someone like me who has a PT wheel, but does both road and tri races, it'd be nice to have the option of running different rear wheels, and for much less than other crank based power meters. I will be interested to hear some further reviews.

Quote | Reply
ninesixfour wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

What do you do if the calibration is off? Can you adjust it somehow? I'm a PT user so I just "zero" it once a week or so.

You can adjust the calibration slope on the Quarq and SRM at home but not the PT -- you have to send the PT back to the factory for that.

Zeroing the torque is not the same as doing a static torque check. I zero every ride. It only takes a few seconds. When I'm doing an important data collection run I'll do a static check the night before (with calibrated masses!) and then zero before each data run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next