Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

need coach.
Quote | Reply
I need a coach for distance training, cycling and running only, only problem is i'm young and don't have 100000000000$ to spend on coaching fees... any suggestions???

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: need coach. [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in reference to your tagline... how bout your mom? ;)

In all seriousness, do you know any older triathletes who would do it? my first coach was a runner who I just went up to and said, hey I want to run a marathon, want to help me? She did :)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far there are two very positive recommendations for Brad Kearns' new book "Breaktrough Triathlon Training." If I were in your shoes I would spend the $17.00 at Barnes and Noble or the $14.00 at Amazon to purchase it. The other book that probably makes some sense to take a look at is "Going Long."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a local multisport club? Often times they have resident coaches who can help direct your training or provide workouts.

Bob

Bob Seebohar, MS, RD, CSSD, CSCS
2008 Olympic Triathlon Team Sport Dietitian
Elite Triathlon Coach
http://www.fuel4mance.com
http://www.elitemultisportcoaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend Paulo Sousa (formely known as Smartasscoach) or Brian Stover (currently and formerly known as desert dude). I would recommend my own coach, but he is full-up. PM either of those two. You will not be disappointed. They both have reasonable rates and outstanding reputations...

Paulo's email is smartasscoach AT gmail DOT com and you can just PM desert dude. I am not sure what screen name Paulo is posting under anymore...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted, if you want a coach, he has to do all three sports. Otherwise he will give you stuff without knowing how much you are getting trashed in the pool. Any coach that will claim to give you coaching while not knowing what you are doing in the pool (a lot), is suspect in my book.

If you want someone fairly local, contact rick@zone3sports.com. He is quite hands on, and of the many many coaches I have seen in the business, he is one guy who trains "the whole athlete", encompassing overall program, workouts, technique, mental preparation, and race day execution. Rick's clients pretty well across the board have set PB's with him from sprint to Ironman. I don't know if he is taking any more athletes. You met Rick at Canadian Zofingen. He was riding the Kuota Karma.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: need coach. [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that's totally true. When I was being coached by Molina I did my own swim stuff with the club kids. If the coach is only doing the bike and run stuff there just needs to be a lot of communication about what is going on at swim practice. I don't know what Ted's situation is but if he is really involved with a swim club and feels he needs to continue doing that I don't see a problem with him getting coached for only bike and run.

Kerry Classen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Send a PM to Mike Plumb.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olaf Sabatschus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Andy's idea.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ask, why do you think you need a coach?

How old are you?

What are your season's goals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why can't you do it on your own? Is there something you don't understand about training and racing? Isn't there enough information availble? Motivation a problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks dev, rick is a very cool dude from what I remember, however I got a pm from someone i respect on this forum and has very good results in multisport racing over long distances. As for swimming well my coach will do as he is the canadian deaf olympic team head coach, and has also coached 4 of team canada's members, and he's also been my coach for a very long time. Yes I will still also be training with my current team, but theres only so far that you can go with a shorter distance race team.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: need coach. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Rappstar's recommendations. Both Paulo and Brian are excellent.

NB: I am coached by Paulo, but don't hold that against him! ;-)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted, fair enough...but Rick has a 1:42 Olympic Tri to his credit, 2:35 marathon last month in Philly, 31 min 10K, and a 9:05 Ironman at LP, but more importantly, all his athletes set PB's across the board. He is very hands on, so you will be able to see him frequently, either when he is in Montreal, or if/when you make the 2 hour trip to Ottawa.

I was just skiing with him this morning and mentioned you, so contact him if you like. For the record, I have never had a coach, and have never been coached by Rick, but I do train with him from time to time and he gives me lots of free "advice".

Dev
Last edited by: devashish paul: Dec 31, 05 13:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really doesn't have much bearing on him being a good coach or not but Rick has never done a 1:42 on a legit olympic distance course.

Kerry Classen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A third vote for Mr. Plumb, unless you are a 45-49 year old Duathlete. In that case, he will not be of much help ;-)

dp
Last edited by: Du-Blue: Dec 31, 05 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: need coach. [Du-Blue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make that 4 votes for Mr. Plumb.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Re: need coach. [woofy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me be the fifth to recomend Mike Plumb.

E
Quote Reply