Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

my first.
Quote | Reply
Ok, so yesterday I went out on a 75k training ride. On my way home everything is great and I have a tailwind to make things that mmuch better. I'm crossing through a town called pointe-claire along the lakeshore in montreal, when I come to an intersection. I check to see that the intersection was clear, It looked safe to pass through so I continued on, when a car slowly creeps past his stop sign. This intersection had 4 stop signs. Its as if he didnt even make a stop and just slowly pushed on. As he creeps out of his corner he doesnt look both ways at all and i shout "HEY!" and he looks right at me. He made no effort to move his car back or forward and just kept moving at 2km/hr (slight exaggeration) At this point i slam my brakes but its not enough. I hit the back end of his car and bailed. It happened so fast I didn't know what to think. I immidiately got up and walked to the corner as this was in the middle of the road. My chin bleeding all over and my front wheel damaged. Aside from that my 2 index fingers bruised to the bone. The driver drove away. Hit and run just like that. The rim on my ksyrium SL totally ruined. No other bike damage.
I called the police to file a hit and run police report, and they called me back 40 minutes later saying there was too much activity at the moment and they couldn't send a police cruiser. My dad came and got me, brought me to the police station where I filed a report there. I found out that the driver went to another police station and filed a report also.

I have 6 stitches in my chin, 2 bruised to the bone index fingers, and my life in the palm of my hands. I was lucky to get away with what I did, and I know now that I have to be just that much more careful.

Ted

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: my first. [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch. I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Tom said, "ouch" indeed and you are very fortunate things didn't turn out much, much worse. That being said:

I check to see that the intersection was clear, It looked safe to pass through so I continued on, when a car slowly creeps past his stop sign. This intersection had 4 stop signs. Its as if he didnt even make a stop

....did you stop completely?
Quote Reply
Re: my first. [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No i did not stop completely, so it was partly my fault.

"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't trying to beat you up more than you've already gone through....but it's important to note that fact. But I'm just like you, I'll get to an intersection and more or less roll through stop signs----unless another car is already there or looks for some reason like the driver's not paying attention, or traffic is particularly heavy.

But not 100% of the time will I stop at a stop sign, or a red light even.

I think we all take chances like that and sooner or later our luck runs out. For you, take one life off---you only have 8 left!

Take it easy, Ted...and be safe out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah thats what im doing, hopefully ill have a new wheel and will be better by next sunday for montreal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the same sort of incident happened recently to a local "biker". Except he wasn't wearing a helmet, hit his head on the curb and died.

Two things I think all local bike stores(and ANYPLACE BIKES ARE SOLD!) should advertise are:

1.) Always wear a helmet!
2.) Always obey traffic signals just as any other vehicles have to.

I know people here locally that simply ride through stop signs as if they weren't even there. This includes people who are long time members of the local bike club.

In addition, today I saw someone I know who is a long time cyclist who wasn't wearing a helmet!!#%@#%@ He had on his cycling cap and was trying to be all cool and retro and stuff.

I just think there should be no excuse not to follow at LEAST the above two rules.

All of this being said, I'm very happy that you weren't injured more severly Ted. You take care of yourself out there. Also, your home owners insurance, or renters insurance should cover the damages to your bike. I'm guessing it will...

Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply