Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

moving to electronic on road bike for aero shifting - etap / axs / folly?
Quote | Reply

Currently running a Decathlon Ultra 520 AFGF road bike w Rival 11s HRD groupset and recently
added redshift switch aero system as I start training for 70.3 next autumn.

My first impressions are I really enjoy getting down on the bars, feel faster, and am faster,
but it's a real pain to shift.

So I'm thinking etap is the way forward to add blips on the end of the bars - I can hack
together a waterproof connector to allow the bars to be disconnected without unwinding
the bar tape but I'm in two minds on how to add etap.

First thought was wait for a deal on AXS in a few weeks on black friday since 'it's the future'
supported, extra features etc but then I realised not only would I have to replace the crank
but also my wheels aren't upgradeable to XDR, nor is my spare trainer wheel -
feels like I'd be basically stripping everything off the bike but the pedals!

11s etap would seem to be the better bet if I can find the right components at the right price.

Or am I getting too hung up on the benefits of being able to shift easily while staying in aero?

"time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted"
Quote Reply
Re: moving to electronic on road bike for aero shifting - etap / axs / folly? [mclongy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO you are not overthinking electronic shifting. It's the only way to go. I have first generation etap and love it. I can't speak to the newer stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: moving to electronic on road bike for aero shifting - etap / axs / folly? [mclongy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had Di2 and now AXS Etap . . . both are wonderful and I don't know how I could live without electric on my Tri Bike.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get 11 speed eTap in a heartbeat. eTap is massively easier to install on a road bike, especially one not setup for internal cable routing. Second, 11 speed is still compatible with most things. (Your wheels would need to be compatible with a new 12 speed XCR cassette body.) I am not sold on 12 speed-- it only adds a 10 tooth cog, which is pretty much useless to me, since I barely use my 11 tooth.

Adding shifting to your extensions will change everything. You just go heads-down, relax, and focus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered buying a TT bike?
Quote Reply
Re: moving to electronic on road bike for aero shifting - etap / axs / folly? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim yes I have - that was the other option but tbh I don't want to be the all the gear and no idea guy
being passed by the field.

My objective this year is to race myself and finish, build my FTP, and move up to a really nice tri bike
eventually. I thought the redshift switch was a good option for the meantime and the way the seat
post adjusts feels really natural.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would buy the TT bike and screw whatever anyone else thinks.
Quote Reply
Re: moving to electronic on road bike for aero shifting - etap / axs / folly? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll pull the trigger on the tri bike one day - maybe after the 70.3 when it's time to eye the full distance,
after all the correct number of bikes is n+1 right? :) but the budget doesn't stretch that far right now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your budget?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 my budget for 'really nice tri bike' would be 3 or 4 times what I expect to be able to find the etap bits for

i know I could get a pre-loved TT bike for the cost of the etap or less but I like the idea of my road
bike getting the benefits of the upgrade too for non-tri sportive, group rides etc.

Last edited by: mclongy: Nov 6, 20 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: moving to electronic on road bike for aero shifting - etap / axs / folly? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eTap is massively easier to install on a road bike, especially one not setup for internal cable routing.

That's a MASSIVE plus right there. Ask any mechanic or DIY type, and it's eTap for the win! SO simple and easy to install and set up.

Yes - I have heard the Di2 shifts a bit better, but, but only a bit - that ease of install, and less trouble-shooting issues for me put eTap slightly ahead!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I decided to try the Redshift seatpost on a gravel bike and I liked it so much, I am now buying Di2 piece by piece until I can put it all together. You are not overthinking the advantage of shifting from levers and aero bar ends; every time I go ride I wish I could shift from the aerobars. On a do-everything bike being able to shift from two positions is going to feel so much better. For a while I started thinking I needed Di2 on my tri bike and then I realized I rarely shift from anything but the aero position.
I'm not sure I would bother with electronic shifting if it were not for the ability to shift in two (or more) places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im only giving my own two cents but eTap broke my heart too many times. I think in the end i went through 4 rear mechs. Bear in mind if eTap stops working on the rear mech the entire bike is null and void until you put a new rear mech on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar to you, I did my first 70.3 on my road bike. I didnā€™t have bar end shifting. Annoying, but not a huge deal because youā€™re not shifting that much unless the course is hilly.

That said, after I finished that race and bought a tri bike (spent about $2k new, so nothing outrageous), I wished I had bought it sooner. Massive difference in comfort and speed in the aero position. Now my road bike hangs in the garage most of the year. I donā€™t do a lot of group rides, and love riding the tri bike.

Look if you want to upgrade your road bike go for it. You donā€™t need any excuse to do so. But I wouldnā€™t throw much money into it just for a half. If it was me Iā€™d buy a used tri bike instead. You could always sell it later to get the bike you eventually want. Just my 2Ā¢.
Quote Reply
Re: moving to electronic on road bike for aero shifting - etap / axs / folly? [MarcusT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, incredible bad luck. I've had e-Tap on my tribike for 3 years now ... no issues. I also have a couple of bikes with Di2. I like both of them.
Quote Reply
Re: moving to electronic on road bike for aero shifting - etap / axs / folly? [ronbizkit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ronbizkit wrote:
Look if you want to upgrade your road bike go for it. You donā€™t need any excuse to do so. But I wouldnā€™t throw much money into it just for a half. If it was me Iā€™d buy a used tri bike instead. You could always sell it later to get the bike you eventually want. Just my 2Ā¢.

Strongly agree. I put axs on my road bike and I love it. But I would not make that upgrade for the purposes of having blips on aero extensions.

You can find a great tt bike on craigs list or whatever for less than it will cost to add even 11s etap. No one's ever ridden by someone on a tri bike, in a triathlon, and thought to themselves "that guy's not good enough to ride a tri bike."
Quote Reply
Re: moving to electronic on road bike for aero shifting - etap / axs / folly? [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 well the deed is done now - I've acquired some vgc etap shifters and FD, just need to add the RD
and then the joys of fitting and bleeding.

the tri bike will come eventually but I'm still stupidly excited for now anyway about new toy šŸ˜ šŸš“ā€ā™€ļø

Last edited by: mclongy: Nov 12, 20 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the encouragement - installed all the etap bits over the weekend and went out for first ride this morning.

I just -love it- it's so effortless!

DIY homemade blips on bar and installed into redshift bars too. happy camper.

Quote Reply