Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

medical tent experience?
Quote | Reply
Just wondered what the med tent considers low blood pressure after an Ironman?

I'm down to 100/55 the day after a very tough 5 hour hill climb - from a normal 115/70 - and HR is up to 50 from a normal 43.

I've been interpreting low bp as low on electrolytes and liquid and wonder how others would interpret this.

thanks for your insight,
Quote Reply
Re: medical tent experience? [d.hiddenwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as your BP is high enough that you can talk to me and stand without passing out I do not pay attention to the number
Last edited by: meuf: Mar 15, 13 12:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are dehydrated. Drink some water.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: medical tent experience? [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
As long as your BP is high enough that you can talk to me and stand without passing out I do not pay attention to the number

this
Quote Reply
Re: medical tent experience? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. I get dehydrated easily (due to certain meds) and if I don't stay on top of it, my BP gets annoyingly low after a hard workout.
Quote Reply
Re: medical tent experience? [hensatc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hensatc wrote:
meuf wrote:

this

++ this. When I'm working there, if you can stand and are lucid I'm not worried about your B/P. if you are worried, see your physician / cardiologist.

Now, if you pass out whenever you stand then we have a different situation.

If you suspect a low B/P, just be slow and cautious in changing your head to heart position (like standing).

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are important differences in the physiological mechanism of reduced resting BP in the med tent during or just after IM versus the day after a very tough workout. Consider your 100/55 within the normal change. The 'tent docs' have alluded to their concern only if symptomatic orthostatic hypotension occurs. If curious about whether vascular reflexes to regulate your systolic BP are deficient after a hard workout, take reading in sitting and 3 minutes after standing up.

d.hiddenwell wrote:
Just wondered what the med tent considers low blood pressure after an Ironman?

I'm down to 100/55 the day after a very tough 5 hour hill climb - from a normal 115/70 - and HR is up to 50 from a normal 43.

I've been interpreting low bp as low on electrolytes and liquid and wonder how others would interpret this.

thanks for your insight,
Quote Reply
Re: medical tent experience? [Pedalhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info Pedalhead. I'll try the difference between sitting and standing. I continue to take in liquid and electrolytes until BP is back to normal but this seems to take a day or two - and I'm concerned about this lowering my performacne in a full IM - which I'm training for. When I ride I usually take in liquids until I feel like I'm floating. At that point the discomfort seems to be counterproductive to peak performance so I start to back off.I'm experimenting with eating more during the ride to see if this has a positive impact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually the fastest folks come in dehydrated. Your current drink to discomfort sets you up for hyponatremia
Last edited by: meuf: Mar 16, 13 9:09
Quote Reply
Re: medical tent experience? [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What meuf said here is exactly my take. It does sound like you are too concerned about hydrating. Don't attempt to match your fluid losses with equal intake. 2-3% loss of body weight is well tolerated medically and does not reduce performance in most triathletes, so get use to it. I think overhydration just before the swim may be a risk factor for breathing problems.

meuf wrote:
Actually the fastest folks come in dehydrated. Your current drink to discomfort setsbyounupnfor hyponatremia
Quote Reply
Re: medical tent experience? [Pedalhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedalhead wrote:
Don't attempt to match your fluid losses with equal intake. 2-3% loss of body weight is well tolerated medically and does not reduce performance in most triathletes, so get use to it. I think overhydration just before the swim may be a risk factor for breathing problems.

Yup exactly... up to 5% is tolerated without danger or performance loss in well acclimated trained individuals... after 5% BW loss I start to get twitchy and keep a pretty close eye on folks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great info - I've been trying to limit my weight loss to 2% - 3.5 lbs - and I've always suspected it is my fitness level not my electrolyte level that causes cramping late in races / late in long rides. I'll relax fluid intake to steady intake rather than to feeling full - maybe take in some more food - and see how that works. Feels like I'm often training at just below a threshold of cramping - and always racing there - not sure if that is normal for many?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pedalhead wrote:
Don't attempt to match your fluid losses with equal intake. 2-3% loss of body weight is well tolerated medically and does not reduce performance in most triathletes, so get use to it.

I believe this, but am curious to know if there is a source for this info, such as some good studies.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: medical tent experience? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
I believe this, but am curious to know if there is a source for this info, such as some good studies.

recent meta-analysis

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2012/07/03/bjsports-2012-090958.abstract?sid=b963241b-404b-41a5-a546-c81cef2723e9

Quote:
Abstract
Objective It is purported that exercise-induced dehydration (EID), especially if =/> 2% bodyweight, impairs endurance performance (EP). Field research shows that athletes can achieve outstanding EP while dehydrated > 2% bodyweight. Using the meta-analytic procedure, this study compared the findings of laboratory-based studies that examined the impact of EID upon EP using either ecologically valid (EV) (time-trial exercise) or non-ecologically valid (NEV) (clamped-intensity exercise) exercise protocols.
Methods EP outcomes were put on the same scale and represent % changes in power output between euhydrated and dehydrated exercise tests. Random-effects model meta-regressions and weighted mean effect summaries, mixed-effects model analogue to the ANOVAs and magnitude-based effect statistics were used to delineate treatment effects.
Main results Fifteen research articles were included, producing 28 effect estimates, representing 122 subjects. Compared with euhydration, EID increased (0.09±2.60%, (p=0.9)) EP under time-trial exercise conditions, whereas it reduced it (1.91±1.53%, (p<0.05)) with NEV exercise protocols. Only with NEV exercise protocols did EID =/> 2% bodyweight impair EP (p=0.03).
Conclusions Evidence indicates that (1) EID </= 4% bodyweight is very unlikely to impair EP under real-world exercise conditions (time-trial type exercise) and; (2) under situations of fixed-exercise intensity, which may have some relevance for military and occupational settings, EID =/> 2% bodyweight is associated with a reduction in endurance capacity. The 2% bodyweight loss rule has been established from findings of studies using NEV exercise protocols and does not apply to out-of-doors exercise conditions. Athletes are therefore encouraged to drink according to thirst during exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hensatc wrote:
recent meta-analysis
http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2012/07/03/bjsports-2012-090958.abstract?sid=b963241b-404b-41a5-a546-c81cef2723e9
Thanks!!

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: medical tent experience? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Thanks!!
No problem...as you know we're all about continuing education here on ST...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d.hiddenwell wrote:
Great info - I've been trying to limit my weight loss to 2% - 3.5 lbs - and I've always suspected it is my fitness level not my electrolyte level that causes cramping late in races / late in long rides. I'll relax fluid intake to steady intake rather than to feeling full - maybe take in some more food - and see how that works. Feels like I'm often training at just below a threshold of cramping - and always racing there - not sure if that is normal for many?

Yeah sounds like you are pushing beyond your limitsnwhichngives you that feeling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're concerned you can lay down get your feet up and sip on a recovery drink. After moving for xx hrs suddenly stopping and standing around you do not get the venous return you had while moving. I alleviated post race nausea by doing this.
Quote Reply
Re: medical tent experience? [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chappy - I'll try this after my next long ride ... it is an excercise I've done often in a restorative yoga class.
Quote Reply