Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

martha's vineyard swimming?
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be in MV first week in July and was wondering where people swim open water? I'll be down in Chilmark but with a car...menemsha pond? Open ocean?
Quote Reply
Re: martha's vineyard swimming? [kittenmittons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kittenmittons wrote:
I'm going to be in MV first week in July and was wondering where people swim open water? I'll be down in Chilmark but with a car...menemsha pond? Open ocean?

I can't answer but if you do choose to swim in the ocean, bring a wetsuit. I did a Sprint Tri this past weekend in Cohasset (just south of Boston) and the water temperature was 58 degrees. Most weather stations are reporting the ocean temp in the low 60s.
Quote Reply
Re: martha's vineyard swimming? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll definitely be bringing my wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anywhere along state beach rd will be good. It is the road connecting Oaks Bluff to Edgartown, the water is flat in the bay and you can stay relatively close to shore and get a good straight swim. If you are driving from Chilmark I'd recommend going early in the morning as the beach will be slammed and you won't be able to find parking on the road during the week of the 4th any time past 9 AM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also the beach at Menemsha Bight (maybe called Lobsterville Beach but I'm not certain - I mean the ocean side, not the pond side) which should be close to you. Menemsha Beach might be OK too, and even closed, but I'm not as sure.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Jun 28, 18 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are best off swimming anywhere from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown (the state beach recommendation before is a good one). The currents are pretty tame and the waves will rarely be more than what you could see at a race. Plus, if it is too rough you can swim on the inside of the bridges. Just pay attention to the currents. If you are at Chappy... don't swim at Wasque.
Quote Reply
Re: martha's vineyard swimming? [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Watch out for sharks
Quote Reply
Re: martha's vineyard swimming? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you brought it up.... there is a free outdoor screening of Jaws on the Vineyard in Owen Park at 8:30 in Owen Park (Vineyard Haven) on July 5th. You can watch it on the beach or from a boat. My sister runs the kayak company down there that is sponsoring it. If you want to know more about Jaws... go watch and then ask her questions. She can even tell you some of the secret filming spots.
Quote Reply
Re: martha's vineyard swimming? [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks! Do you know if anyone swims at Lucy Vincent beach or in Menemsa Pond? I couldn't find much on google, so I'm assuming no, but its a bit closer to our rental.
Quote Reply