Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

marathon training
Quote | Reply
How often should one train with weights with their legs during marathon training? Right now I'm doing twice a week 1-2 sets, 10-12 reps, 4-5 exercises. Will this put too much burden on the legs as the miles pile up or will it keep the strength up in my legs in order to handle the distances to come.
Quote Reply
Re: marathon training [nel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about never? :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm training for Austin in Feb. I do weight training twice a week, which includes 4 leg exercises, 3 sets of 15-20 reps. I view it more as preventing injury by strengthening joints than actually building run specific strength. Mike Ricci wrote my marathon plan; it includes tons of running (of course!!), core work, and weight training. It's the first time I've incorporated weights into run training. I'm injury-free and that's also a first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretching is even more important and something you should do most days ... I would try more reps but very light weight. I think a bit of work on the machines has helped my running lately. 2X a week is plenty ... Example of lighter but more reps: I do like knee extensions of 35-40 pounds each leg 2X20 or so . I could do 50+ at 2X12 but I just think lighter and more reps is better. I think during big weeks its tough to do much weights and its silly to do much during the taper ... happy training!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by slimjim [ In reply to ]
Re: marathon training [slimjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there's benefit if you're doing triathlon, but you're doing a marathon, so train like a marathoner, and I don't see too many good ones hanging out in the weight room. Spend the extra time jacking up the miles.
Quote Reply