Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

making swimming pull bands
Quote | Reply
does anyone have an idea of how to make these? i've heard that its a good drill to do with paddles, but i can't figure out how to go from bike innertube to band for ankles?
advice?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: making swimming pull bands [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buy some surgical tubing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: making swimming pull bands [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and just tie it togeather?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi David,

If you are talking about about the bands used for dry-land training for swim strokes then go to Life Line USA. Here is the link (http://www.lifelineusa.com/...=13&productid=19). They make excellent products. I have been using them for years for myself, my athletes and for my rehab patients.

-Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haven't tried it with paddles but I have thought about it after seeing several people with that sort of set up. Mine just have platic pipe handles like most commercial models.

buy some surgical tubing, probably a good 8-10', at least a foot of 3/4" dia pvc pipe, some rope that will fit inside the pipe and maybe some tie straps for good luck.

cut the pipe down to a width slightly wider than the widest part of your hand, two pieces and sand down the edges to make sure they don't fray the rope which you will put through them.

Run the rope through one of the plastic pipe handles ceating a triangle with the pipe being the base. The pt of the triangle opposite the pipe is where you tie the rope to the tubing. Good luck here with the know, all I can say is make sure it is secure or you may be in for a surprise when you use them. Use a tie wrap or two for good measure. Repeat on the other side and you are set to go.

Used my cords today for the first time in a couple of months, DAMN, felt like a weakling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Get a scooter/wheelbarrow tube. They are much smaller diameter and thicker rubber. There is nothing better for building upper body strength and forcing hip rotation than using paddles and a strap. (IMHO)

Thanks,

Aaron
Quote Reply
Re: making swimming pull bands [DabossAJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks.. i think your the only person who really understood my misphrased question..
so basically taking a bike innertube, cutting it, and joining it won't work?

-dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The inner tubes wouldn't have enough elasticity in them to work effectively.

So here is where I got my surgical tubing for my team. This is out of the U. of Michigan:

http://www.lanegainer.com/catalog.htm

Scroll all the way down and you can buy tubing in feet. I believe the more expensive the more resistance and don't go any lower than red. You can buy the paddles on this site or you can cut the tubing and tie it in knots to make loops to fit your hand in.

The knots will come loose over time so I reinforce mine with those plastic ties that I can't recall the name of. They are the ties you can buy in the hardware store that you can tighten but can never loosen. In fact, I think they've always come with my bike computer to fasten the wiring to the bike frame.

Hope that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: making swimming pull bands [bosco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good grief folks - he's talking about a band to wrap around his ankles while pulling. Makes it much more difficult. Dave, it's tough to join a bike tube in such a way that it doesn't seperate once you start trying to kick...

Aaron
Quote Reply
Re: making swimming pull bands [DabossAJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another no vote on bike tubes. Nasty abrasions after a short set even with Bodyglide. The wheelbarrow tube (large size) works great.

"It is never too late to fix your childhood!" Tom Robbins

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretch cords cost $10 at Galyan's. Heck..they are now $5 with the Going out of Business sale....

I bought all three and retrofitted with my swimming paddles....

They work great, highly recommend and props to Gordo for the workout.
Quote Reply
Re: making swimming pull bands [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As daboss said, David is not asking about swim cords for swim strength training. Rather, he is asking about cords to keep your ankles together during pulling drills (with or without paddles).

One thing you could try David, is to buy a set of those of plastic quick release clips for fixing backpacks, etc. You ought to be able to use zip ties to secure the cut inner tube to the clips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use a big rubber band that comes wrapped around bunches of broccoli and other produce we buy at the local emporium......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use old bike tubes, cut and tied with a knot. Low tech, easy to make and works fine.

Joel

>>>>
JoelFilliol.com - check out the Real Coaching Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: making swimming pull bands [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me too, except i use a mountain bike tube. being wider alleviates the pressure from the tight knot. haven't had any problems. also, turn the tube so that the know faces backwards(or is facing the surface of the water while swimming)--also helps with rubbing.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: making swimming pull bands [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In H.S. I used to use old inner tubes from lawn tractors, I'd guess they were in the 12-14" dia range. Take the tube twist it into a figure 8, put your feet in each of the circles, add a pull bout and off you go! Simple as can be

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply