Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

looking @ 2 all carbon bikes- which may be better?
Quote | Reply
OK, so I went in to Mission Bay yesterday and got set up on 2 different bikes- Kuota K-factor and Kestrel Talon. Both all carbon, full Ultegra once I'm done getting parts swapped. The Kuota comes w/ Easton wheels, the Talon w/ Alex (plan on buying race wheels May-June timeframe). Kuota may be a bit lighter (carbon steer tube, Talon's is alloy), but a pound of bike is no biggie- there's about 12-15 pounds of me to get rid of yet. The Talon is going to come in cheaper by a couple hundred. I like the price, leaves more for race wheels. I can also get another tri bike in 2-3 yrs and switch the Talon over to road configuration, and retire my aluminum Trek (HARSH RIDE). My only concern is that I seem to recall something about 3 years back w/ Talons, maybe Kestrel in general, and cracked frames w/warranty not honored. Bill @ Mission Bay is a nice guy, treated me well, and may be able to apply more leverage if something happens to the frame; then again, its downtime from riding in tri geometry and I don't want to see him stuck w/ a bum frame. I'll pay a tad more for better durability/ track record. Which bike would you lean towards, and why? (notice no price specifics- the prices are close enough that performance/durability/reliability are THE critical factors).

2 side notes:
1. definitely worth the time to go in. I have a long torso and felt better on the medium K-factor. My 53 cm Trek was great when I was a powerlifter, but I'm flexible enough to get low on the bike now, and have felt cramped for 2 yrs on it (6 y/o bike)
2. I would also like to look at the Giant Trinity bikes- anybody know anything about them?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: looking @ 2 all carbon bikes- which may be better? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine had the Kestrel Talon. He liked it a lot, until I found a hairline crack near his BB area. He sent the frame back to Kestrel, who promptly sent him a Kestrel Talon SL because they did not have the regular Talon in his size at the time. It's been working great ever since.

As for switching to Road Geometry, it's possible, and I've seen it done before, but it's not the prettiest of things. Geometry tends to get messed up when your switching from a tri fit to a road fit.

I, personally have the Kuota K-Factor. Pictures really don't do the bike much justice, it is truly stunning in person. It's one helluva bike, and I'm lucky to have one. Kuota is a awesome brand, and I've dealt with them with great success. This being said, I may be biased towards Kuota.

I can't comment on the price of the two, since I got the K-Factor discounted, but I will say that getting whichever bike fits you best will be your best option.

As for the Giant Trinity, you could would do better with the Kuota, or the Kestrel.
Quote Reply
Re: looking @ 2 all carbon bikes- which may be better? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lunchbox,

I love your name.

Now here is my opinion. That's what you are looking for right, people's opinions?

I think you should ignore the Kestrel, Giant or Kuota and consider a TitanFlex. If you plan on going long and/or on bumpy roads and or you travel a lot or just want a great bike... it is stiff, light aero, durable and easily packable... not to mention made in the USA and backed up by a man who will make sure you are 100% happy!

The only way TitanFlex can be beat is if you need a UCI double diamond frame.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you absolutely set on carbon. IMHO, I'd choose a high-end alum/scandium frame (with carbon stays and forks) over a low end all carbon frame. Not all carbon is the same. For the distances you'll be doing in tri you won't miss the vibration dampening of an all carbon bike. Just my two bits. I'll shut up now, I always get yelled at when I dis carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my k-factor from all3sports and made some upgrades - best bike i've ridden on yet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Botht he Kestrel and Kuota are Martec frames- they come from the same builder, and very good quality. I'd go with the one Bill recommends based on his fitting.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Talon and I think it is a great road bike that can double as a tri-specific bike when needed (only due to the dual position seatpost). You still have to contend with a steep head tube which may be wobbly at high speeds (decents) on the 'bars. Keep this in mind. If you are going to keep your bike setup for tri's, in all honesty, the Talon is not the bike for you. I'll still stand by my statement that as a road bike, there is nothing I'd trade for it. I also have never tried to mount aerobars on it or set it up steep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I think you are on the right track to finding an all carbon best value. I have a friend that has the kfactor. He loves it...it is fast and looks good. The carbon weave is beautiful on it.

I do know the kfactor has external cable routing. How much are you getting these bikes for (complete). If I am correct the talon is a road/tri bike. Whereas, I think the kfactor is tri specific.

I think you should consider Quintana Roo bikes (seduza, 2000.00-2200.00) It is more trispecific than either of those too. It comes with a rear wheel cut-out, internal cable, DA and ult. mix, and an original trispecific seat post). I believe all of the tubing is tri specific too. The Kfactor's top tube is just like a road bike. It is the same frame as the lucero and caliente.

But...if I had to choose...I would go with the kfactor over the kestrel!!

Quote | Reply
I think Tom's post is a good one. One BIG THING to consider is that if you plan to convert the bike to a road bike one day the Talon's geometry is a bit more suited to drop bars, etc than the K-factor. It makes a pretty sweet tri or road bike where I believe the K-factor is more suited to stay a tri-rocket.
Quote Reply
Re: looking @ 2 all carbon bikes- which may be better? [aerojunkie2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

As for switching to Road Geometry, it's possible, and I've seen it done before, but it's not the prettiest of things. Geometry tends to get messed up when your switching from a tri fit to a road fit.[/reply]
Kestrel Talon is a road geometry bike already. No issues with setting it up in road geometry. The issue is with setting it up in tri geometry. The problem I have is that the head tube is too long. Have to use a drop stem. Other than that, it is a good ride and plenty stiff. Handles really well. Kestrel warranty service is top notch. They even offer a crash replacement warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: looking @ 2 all carbon bikes- which may be better? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Talon SL which, sadly, I broke in a freak TT accident last year. Kestrel's "no fault warranty" was not all that great, as I recall they offered to send me a new frame for 35% off retail, which didn't seem like a great deal to me. I ended up having it repaired by Calfee for $250.

I rode my Talon as a tri bike this year, and found that the top tube is too long for me. I am keeping my Talon as a road bike but getting a B2 as a dedicated TT/tri bike. Just my personal experience.
Quote Reply
Re: looking @ 2 all carbon bikes- which may be better? [mlbdenver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, a buddy of mine got hit by a car on his 500 SCI and Kestrel sent him a new Talon SL for 250 bucks. Seemed like a great deal to me. His 500 SCI was more than 5 years old. I hear ya though, 35% off is not that great. On the other hand, who else offers a crash replacement warranty at all?

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2003 Talon SL, set up in a tri configuration with the Hed aerobars and the saddle in the forward hole of Kestrel's aero post. I am currently at 77.5 degrees effective seat tube angle and I would not want to set up the bike any steeper than that. It is just on the right side of stable right now. Any steeper and it would feel squirrelly at high speeds when riding in the aero position. So you'll need to know that limitation.

I have ridden the SL everywhere from 73.5 deg seat tube angle and road front end config to a mid-seat-tube angle 75.5-76 deg angle and up to its current set up. It is a great bike and will work well in any of those configurations. I have not had any issues with mine in 3.5 years now. The slight weight penalty for the aluminum steerer is a non-issue as the bike still comes in around 15 lbs with a pair of Zipp 404s, 16 lbs with my Hed Alps, 17 lbs with Hed Alps front and PowerTap rear end. Kestrel's aero post is a bit of a weight penalty over a lightweight carbon seat post...about 2/3 of a lb over the USE!...but I still race under 18 lbs even with the heavy PT rear wheel and cover.

That is my experience with a Talon. Keep in mind that this is the same frame, ridden in a pro's very moderate aero position, that has scored a couple of sub-8 Ironman races, and multiple other IM victories. I'm sure P3Cs and the new Felts are more aero bike frames...but this one sure won't prevent you from having a great race.

With all that said...I agree with Tom...let Bill at Mission Bay set up up on the two bikes. He'll ask all the right questions and help you pick the right bike of the two. Either one is going to be a great bike, if used within their limits. The K-factor is capable of 78 deg + of seat tube angle. Bill will help you determine if that sort of bike is the right one for you...if so...then the choice is made...at least between these two frames.

If you are fit correctly AND the bike is set up correctly...you aren't going to be far off course choosing bikes. Don't be surprised if Bill doesn't give you some other options as well.
Quote Reply
Re: looking @ 2 all carbon bikes- which may be better? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input! The conversion of the Kestrel to a road bike in a few years was just an afterthought. Really, I want a comfortable frame to train and race IM Wisconsin this year, plus whatever I can squeeze in for 08. After that, I'm looking for something I can race shorter distance on while I head back to school full time. In all likelihood, I'll get a new road bike in 1-2 years, and just have 2 bikes rather than trying to make 1 bike act like 2. Me, I liked the feel of the Kuota better (based on 10 minutes on each bike), but the Kestel was a bit cheaper. Bill pointed me in the direction of these 2 bikes b/c they were comfortable, all-carbon frames within my price range. Before I commit one way or the other, I need to take some winter gear over to his store and get some decent time on each bike.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely take more than 10 mins to determine which fits better (see diversionary side note below).
I have the Talon and use it primarily as a road ride and occassionally as a tri ride. The talon is a superb value IMO. The ride is fantastic (2005 model). Feedback from other Talon owners has been good (including warranty experience). However, I do love my Softride for the long courses.
Side note:
The average test drive in a car is only 8 mins - and the mfrs know that - so they design the seats to feel comfortable for approx 12-15 mins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned the Talon Sl for a few years now...
3 major crashes....
not a crack or mark...
amazing frame.... and Kestrel has a No Foults Warranty

"Pace is just a matter of having enough RedBull..." -Rappstar
Quote Reply