Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO?
Quote | Reply
checked the results. looked like less than 1000 finishers, was surprised I did it a few years back thought it was a great full other than some of the roads were miserable. but logistically great

SK
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2023 results are showing more than that. You have the people who are in the non-competitive waves you get classified as "NC" with the 99,999 tag, too.

Needs to be a different filter so you can exclude DNF/DQs.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kell0 wrote:
checked the results. looked like less than 1000 finishers, was surprised I did it a few years back thought it was a great full other than some of the roads were miserable. but logistically great

SK
I don't know about finishers, but here's what I found on starters over the years (and roads are much improved):
2023 - 1373
2022 - 1697
2021 - 2060
2019 - 2109
2018 - 2626
2017 - 2166
2016 - 2243
2015 - 2283
2014 - 2328
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My tracker said 1266 finished
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d be surprised if more folks don’t sign up after this year. Weather was beautiful, ~85° with low humidity. And some engineer at the TVA must have hit the big red “max flow” button on the dam. I was expecting to swim ~15 mins faster than usual - so maybe a 50-55 min vs 1:05-1:10. But nope, 43 mins. Insanity.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I was looking at some of the swim times and I thought there must either be some serious swimmers there or the current is faster than it's ever been.
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha yea, I usually swim 1:10-ish...I swam 41. Pretty ridiculous. I could only laugh coming out of the water and see that time.
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
haha yea, I usually swim 1:10-ish...I swam 41. Pretty ridiculous. I could only laugh coming out of the water and see that time.

I did 37 in May for the half and 49 for the full swim...and I didn't improve that much lol!. Great day overall though to be racing, not overly hot, no real wind. Great day.
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It actually made it hard to judge effort. I glanced at my watch and saw I was doing 1:02-1:03 100’s at a nice leisurely pace. So I just decided to hold that and go into T1/the bike feeling really good.

But yeah, my wife grabbed a photo of my face right after I saw 43:XX on my watch. It’s priceless.

Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
type-B wrote:
I’d be surprised if more folks don’t sign up after this year. Weather was beautiful, ~85° with low humidity. And some engineer at the TVA must have hit the big red “max flow” button on the dam. I was expecting to swim ~15 mins faster than usual - so maybe a 50-55 min vs 1:05-1:10. But nope, 43 mins. Insanity.

I would hope so - I've now done the half and the full (just this weekend) and think Chattanooga is a fantastic race - the city, layout, ease of hotels, parking... and the course. Yes, swim was ridiculous, I literally looked up and saw red buoy and was like, "crap, I'm done?!?". But have to say the bike course is really fantastic. And run is no joke.

With low #s of folks...it was crazy - during the bike there were looooooong stretches where I was riding completely alone. As in could not see anyone in front or behind me. It really felt like I was just out for a nice training ride by myself (which, by the way, I'm sure helped me pace myself much better!) Really only started seeing people again as came up on people who were on lap one and I was coming through Chickamauga the second time.

And then for run... first loop, was more or less running alone... only started running through big groups (or with Barton, walking) later in second loop. Again, running alone, I'm sure I paced myself much better... didn't chase after people.

Again - would be a shame if this race didn't get more folks.... I've done a fair number in NA and would have to rate this about my favorite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kell0 wrote:

fewer
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
kell0 wrote:

fewer

lol... always love the grammar police.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Ironman can’t keep a successful IM in Chattanooga, they’re in serious trouble. Just did my first IM in Chattanooga last weekend, and it’s literally the perfect race town/venue. Done the 70.3 a bunch too. Friendly swim, really nice bike course, tough run course but very spectator friendly. Walk to everything from your hotel. Super kid friendly town. List goes on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering about that, i did my first full this year at chattanooga and was wondering looking at the results if that many DNFs was normal or not. Folks who have done other races, what is a normal rate of DNFs? I didn't think the roads were bad, and as everyone is saying that current was CRANKED UP that morning so wouldn't expect many swim drops.
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [mcooper3223] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched the Ironman recap and that was sad. The numbers are way down. I dont see Chatty and Madison both making it. You cant put on a 140.6 race and only get 1200 people.
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
long distance triathlon, imo, hit its peak and is likely a zero growth sport. for every 1 person who says ooo, i want to be an ironman, 2 are done with it. but that's just what i'm seeing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised to hear the numbers were so low as well. I hadn't looked at totals but was surprised the men's times weren't crazy fast given it's a Kona qualifier for next year and there are so few in the US left. Maybe all the fast guys already qualified?

On that topic, do we even know what next year's Chattanooga will even qualify for? Have they said for certain the men's race is going back to Nice?
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Augusta race was low too. I'm surprised participants were low in both race on that side of the country. Weather was really good on that day.
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
Michal_CH wrote:
kell0 wrote:

fewer

lol... always love the grammar police.

In this case, probably a reference to Stannis Baratheon and the long-running gag in Game of Thrones. "Allusion Police" would be more accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d be pretty sad if IMCHOO went away, it’s an awesome race, must be the best venue for families with young kids and spectator friendly as well. I’d think even if the sport weren’t challenged on participation that throwing 2x 70.3 (Augusta and Memphis) and an IM all in the same general region in three weeks is too much.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any idea how the town feels/reacts to the races being in town? I don't recall ever hearing or seeing any bad press about it.
Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pacco wrote:
Does anyone have any idea how the town feels/reacts to the races being in town? I don't recall ever hearing or seeing any bad press about it.

Just to clarify some numbers in this thread. 1373 started, 1266 finished, so 107 DNF or about 7% which is a good finishing rate. 1373 starting is still way down in numbers compared to previous years as previously posted.

In the May 70.3 Chattooga, over 3115 starters. It was huge and sold out. Our sense is that the community embraces the events. Haven't heard any bad press at all and our experience there everyone is really welcoming. Roads at the 70.3 were in excellent shape. Brian, the race director posts on this forum and has done a great job with it all I think.

I just think in general, as talked in many other threads, more interest in 70.3's versus the full Ironman at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
top 5 OA under 9hours and top 10 all faster than last years race? not too bad for a NA race. not the international presence like Texas but 35-39 AG you had to go 9:10 to get a KQ, 9:25 got you a KQ in same AG last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pacco wrote:

Spoke with a few locals who asked if I was in town for the race, they just wished me luck. And none of the looks of hatred, being honked at, flipped off, like one gets from the locals in Lake Placid (even when following all the rules of riding/being a pedestrian). It could totally be a function of being a medium sized city with more going on.

I second/third what others have said about Chattanooga being a fantastic venue for folks with kids to race at. In days leading up to the race my wife and kids spent time at the Children’s Museum, Zoo, and other downtown features. And on race day they spent time at the aquarium while I was out on the bike.

Quote Reply
Re: less than 1000 finished at IM CHOO? [bobbystans1220] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobbystans1220 wrote:
top 5 OA under 9hours and top 10 all faster than last years race? not too bad for a NA race. not the international presence like Texas but 35-39 AG you had to go 9:10 to get a KQ, 9:25 got you a KQ in same AG last year.

That :15 was all the insane current this year. I swam a 43:50. I have no business being within 10 mins of that even with a “regular” current. I’m maybe a 1:05 lake swimmer.

Quote Reply

Prev Next