Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

knee angle question (paging mr cobb, or dan, or tom...)
Quote | Reply
hi. in most tri-fit articles, i've seen knee angles listed at about 150 degrees with pedals at essentially 12 and 6 oclock. however, in mr cobb's slam descriptions, he states that he's using a knee angle of 45-50 degrees. is this simply the same angle as a 130-135 degree angle with a different reference point (ie, 180 degrees minus 130 degrees= 50) , or is this a different measurement, such as the angle with the pedals at 3 and 9 oclock? thanks,

ross
Last edited by: rossman: Feb 22, 04 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: knee angle question (paging mr cobb) [rossman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully Dan or Tom will see this and give you a more thorough answer but basically you are seeing a difference in style or beliefs of proper fitting.

FIST:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...techctr/bikefit.html

Slam:
http://www.timetrial.org/slam.htm

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: knee angle question (paging mr cobb, or dan, or tom...) [rossman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm for 150 degrees or thereabouts (or 30 degrees if you're looking at the acute angle). and that's for everybody, steep angled folks included (yes, i've changed my view on this).

obviously there's a range, but no more, i think, than 5 degrees in either direction.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: knee angle question (paging mr cobb, or dan, or tom...) [rossman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apples and oranges. I believe Mr. Cobb is referring to the "big slam" position. Essentially a 72 degree angle effective seat angle with the seat lowered a bit below normal. This will automatically increase knee angle compared to a 78-80 degree tri position with the seat set at a normal height.

For the normal tri or road postions most authorities recommend 145-155 degrees. You'll just have to experiement and see what works best for yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote 150 for higher cadence ectomorphs and as low as 147 for gear masher mesomorphs with an ass like Andre' Tchmil.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply