Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
keep on keepin on
Quote | Reply
Well, a rather large and sudden change in the direction of my life occured last week. As you may or may not know, I was employed at a bike shop by the name of Gears, here in Mississauga On, Canada. As you also may or may not know, I have been in the process of launching my own side business, coaching/personal training and offering fitness and physiological assessments. I've invested a bunch of personal capital in some great equipment(NewLeaf, Computrainer) and alot of time and money in education and certification. Part of my goal was to create my own little niche in the industry and to create a name for myself, and part of my goal was to help add benefit and exposure to the store.

I totally misjudged on the latter of those two. I had a long conversation with the store owners last week, brought them up to speed on where it was all going, what I could offer them and the clientelle, where I wanted to take it, and it turns out they have no interest in having that kind of fitness service through the shop(odd to me as they have a 35 bike spin studio in the store). They felt my project was a conflict of interest and that if I wasn't willing to simply be a bike salesperson for them and nothing more, then maybe I should move on and pursue my own goals on my own time.

It seems my own ambition has gotten the better of me yet again, for I am now self-employed(unemployed) far faster than any schedule I had layed out for myself. I've gone through a very wide range of emotions over this past weekend. Fear, anger, sadness, panic(never knew what a panic attack was until saturday), disbelief...you get the idea. I think if it hadn't been for my GF's support I may have slipped into a minor depression. But thanks to her, and alot of introspection, I've realized now that I simply have two choices...make it work, or wallow in self pity and be a victim. And really, when you look at those two choices, I really have only one.

So it's time to keep on keepin on now. No more tears, no more bitterness, just take what I've started and make it better than I imagined, faster than I planned.

Thanks for reading, this is part of my catharsis, the final step to keeping on, get it out, accept it, move on from it. I have been thrown a roadblock, but I'm determined to make the most of the road I am now on.

So, as for an ethics disclaimer for my opinions from this day forward, I no longer have any ties to the bike industry in an retail capacity. Any recommendations I may offer are based solely on personal experience, with no sales bias involved.

And with that, it's time to go make my own way in this world. Something I've wanted to do for awhile, but was too scared to see the first step. I've been shoved into motion now, and the only thing to do is keep putting one foot in front of the other on down the road.

Peace to my fellow gentle tribespeople...

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Re: keep on keepin on [Ian MacLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck Ian. You said it yourself...

All good things must come to an end...the end of one adventure is merely the beginning of another greater adventure

Your old job was a complete dead end (that you had already reached). Where's the end of a "good thing" in that? You also have a nice safety net... if you fail, you can always return to that job, or another similar one elsewhere. It's not as if you have scraped by and pinched pennies for 15 years to earn a $million (Canadian or US ;-)), and then sunk that million into a business that could blow up.

Plus, working for someone else sucks. I should know.

As an aside, maybe consider aligning with another shop that doesn't view it as so much of a conflict?

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck Ian. I wish you great succes in your endeavors.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck! I bet you look back on this in a year and think it was the best thing that could happen. Sometimes you just need a push...even if you didn't want it:)
Quote Reply
Re: keep on keepin on [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I've got some contacts with other shops, and that is definitely an avenue I'm going to explore. I'm quite excited about the opportunity, I just wasn't prepared to cut the umbilical cord so fast. Thanks for the support and good wishes!

Ian MacLean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, these guys are KOOKS if they think anyone working retail in the bike industry should not have the right to run their own busines on the side. They are clearly narrowminded and shortsighted. Having someone working in their business who can bring them clients through his coaching business is a good thing. They are the ones who will lose out of this deal. Good luck in your business. The Greater Toronto area has a huge base of triathletes, and you should be able to earn a good living.

Look at the various segments within the triathlon market, such as:
  • Newbie, MOP/BOP 30-50 year old women
  • Competitive Age group Man 30-50

This is where the cash is. Don't worry about elite and high performance folks. They are well taken care of with other coaches. The two groups above, have the biggest wallets and the biggest desire to spend on stuff like coaching and have limited time, but lots of desire. Establish a service that caters to these two niches. Within them, there are a variety of services you can offer.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Ian. I am in a similiar situation as far as wanting to go out on my own and not feeling ready. I have been teaching martial arts for someone else for years. He pays fair, but not what i would like to make. I know the numbers for the school, paying me more would be bad business. The way for me to make what I want is start my own school. That's scary to me. Difference between the situations is he will support me in this endeavor and has even suggested that he would help secure the finacing to get off the ground. Best of luck, sounds like you have a plan.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well that doesn't suprise me.

best of luck with your new venture. with your positive attitue and support system, i'm sure you'll make a good go of it.

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, from personal experience let me just say that they did you a favor. Use this opportunity to focus on moving forward. Otherwise, you would have wasted too much energy worrying about their interests. Good luck. Stay positive and focused.

-jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what an awesome opportunity! You get to wake up every day and go to work for yourself. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your inevitable success.

under-trained and over-tapered. . . .yet still hopeful . . . does that make me an optimist or a masochist?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on entering the world of the self-employed. I am a bit suprised as Gears has a great reputation around here for being a bit on the leading edge.

I would give a call to some of the downtown gyms. I know that at the Fitness Institute (www.thefitnessinstitute.ca) there is a pretty big triathlon group and they just had someone come in to do testing. Guys were paying 70-100 dollars for VO2 max testing. There is a health center there that let the guy set up his equipment for a couple of days.

I would also contact all of the coaches and clubs in the area. I am sure a lot of them would love to have their athletes tested. Probably would have to give a referral fee to the respective coaches but...

Good luck.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: keep on keepin on [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

thanks Paul. that little niche of MOPer's and average joe/jane is exactly what I want to target. Not so much due to their funding potential(although it doesn't hurt) but because they are the ones who most need the help. There are way too many irrevalent and outdated formula's and averages out there for determining caloric needs, training zones etc, and it's the average guy that tends to get stuck using them. the elite people either have the proper support network or the time to educate themselves, joe average tends to just put his faith in what he/she reads or hears from their doctor or the kid that just started working at the gym part time. Much of this is irrelevant to their personal physiology. I also want to work with the mid-pack types because they are ripe for the most gains. with an elite, you may work all year and only see a 2-3% improvement, which at that level is big, but I'll find more satisfaction in the large gains that a moderately fit person stands to achieve. i truly am looking forward to the experience, and to speak to another response, it is great to wake up every day and go to work for myself now.

Thanks again to all of you for your kind words, advice and thoughts. This truly is an amazing little community that I have been lucky enough to be welcomed into.

Watch for updates, and check the website for updates too.

As an aside, and certainly not meaning to take anything away from this forum, but I've put a forum page on my website. I want to use it mostly to bring the local community together, maybe training rides/runs can be scheduled from there, training advice, race reports from local athletes, but if you aren't local and want to drop by every now and then, please feel free. www.imfit.ca

okay, promise, that will be my only real plug this week!

Gots go back to some real work now.

Ian MacLean
Quote Reply
Re: keep on keepin on [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Adam,

ya, i was a bit surprised too, but we all have our own priorities. I'm definitely going to hit downtown soon. I actually know the guy who helps run the tri-club at the FI and I've been talking to him. I was a little late to be the test facilitator for that round, but i just tested one of his other athletes and he seems to like the results. i'm getting hooked up with a coach in burlington who runs a tri club tomorrow, that should open up a few doors too.

Ian MacLean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use to work in a ski/bike store, and our running joke was "the bike "industry" - it makes the ski "industry" look professional". Looks like Gears is keeping the reputation going....

I think Dev is right on with the regards to the demographics to go after. I would also add that I would look at any running clubs in the GTA (Running Room, Motionware, etc). I know first hand (at least here in Ottawa) that there are lots of people who are either in the clinics or run club (which is free) who are 1) interested in improving and 2) have the money. Also, many of the people in these clubs are interested in cross training and looking for bike information (which just proves how out to lunch you boss is).

EKB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian. For ten years my office was just around the corner from you guys. High St and Hurontario, across from Grays . At that point I had no interest in bikes. Now that I could use your help, I'm way out in the east end. Got tired of the comute. Figures eh?

John
Quote Reply
Re: keep on keepin on [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey John,

If you are interested in testing or any of my services, keep in mind that I am completely portable, Computrainer, testing equipment and all. I can come to you, or you can come to me. Let me know if there is every anything I can do to help you out.

Ian MacLean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I would have answered sooner bit I'd slid on over to your website to have a look see. We'll be in touch in the new year. Need to get to the pool for a few weeks first.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

I bet there's more than a few folks on the forum that are secretly jealous of the opportunity you now have. Do us all proud.

Woody

Mike Hollywood
http://www.bostontriathlonteam.com
http://www.michaelhollywood.com
Quote Reply
Re: keep on keepin on [Woody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Woody,

I will, be sure of it!

Ian MacLean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, I'm stunned, having been a regular customer at the store for the past few years, I'm really shocked at their attitude. It seemed like a perfect for both of you. Even if they weren't interested in providing those services I certainly don't see any conflict of interests. It's not like you're opening a bike store in your basement!
I agree with others who have posted: this is going to be a positive thing for you, and I speak from personal experience.

I was employed full time as an illustrator in an ad agency for years and then one day was told that they couldn't keep me on anymore. I had planned someday to go freelance but now that "someday" was "today" I had 2 small kids and a wife to support and I was freaked out! That was 10 years ago. In my first year of being a self employed illustrator I doubled my salary and have not looked back. That "pink slip" was the kick in the ass that I needed to go solo and without that kick I might still be working for someone else.

The triathlon industry is booming, IM races are selling out in a matter of days, coaches are in demand. Strike while the iron is hot!
I'm sure you'll look back at this as a positive turning point.

All the best, I'll spread the word about imfit. Maybe we'll hook up for some skate skiing this winter! and for my next big purchase (tri bike) I might give Enduro Sport a visit.

Stuart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your difficulties, Ian, but it sounds like things are working themselves out. Best wishes for the new business.

As someone who is probably in your primary market group (age 37, newbie, started tri'ing 4 years ago), let me just give you one bit of advice. Please treat us newbies as seriously as you would any other athlete. I don't train nearly as much as I want to (or should) and I'm not as fit as most triathletes, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to improve and that I don't want to be taken seriously. I got a fitness test done here in Toronto a year and a half ago and I have to say it was an awful experience and I won't go back. If you give us newbies the same respect as you would a top age-grouper, then we'll be shelling out the dough.

Again, good luck with the new business.

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian -

Congrats on the new gig. Follow your heart and the money will follow......

Some free business advise: let go of any harsh feelings or events with your previous situation(s). They are now potential business partners....

Urrgh..."keep on keeping on" phrase drives me nuts. It sounds so mediocre. Who thought of that? How about, "I'm now kicking ass, taking names and helping people reach their fitness/personal goals!"

You do not provide coaching and performance testing...you are now in the business of improving the quality of athlete's lives one person at a time.

Good luck.

On a funny note.....I rec'd this today via email.

>>>>>>>>>>>..

A LOGICAL SOLUTION.

Now here is a problem that finally has a formula for getting to the bottom

of an age old problem.

From a strictly mathematical viewpoint it goes like this:

What Makes 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%? Ever wonder about

those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to

those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%. How about

achieving 103%? What makes up 100% in life?

Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these

questions:

If:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z is represented as:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K

8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

and

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E

11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far ass kissing will take you.

A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G

1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty that WhileHard work and

Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, it's the

Bullshit and Ass kissing that will put you over the top!

Quote Reply
Re: keep on keepin on [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You do not provide coaching and performance testing...you are now in the business of improving the quality of athlete's lives one person at a time.

RE: the branding thread...are you sure you don't work for NIKE?

this all sounds WAY too familiar...i've been brainwashed by my soc. of sport class...but that sounds almost identical to Phil White - Nike's mission is not to sell shoes but to enhance people's lives through sports and fitness, and to keep the magic of sports alive.

It's all about branding baby...sell the image of a successful and knowlegeable coach, and the buisness will come! emotional ties = key ;)

(hehe...you might already have your first (well...3rd) client ;) )

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: keep on keepin on [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adam/Yarf I can't believe that guys are paying $$$$$$$$ to get V02max test. Most of these folks just need to get out there and do the f***ing miles. Everyone these days seems to think that science will give them a shortcut to make huge gains quickly. If anything, what a coach needs to do is motivate his troops to get out there and train and have fun. The performance will fall into place. All most MOP and even FOP folks needs to know about are 4 intensities:

Super Easy = Warmup/cooldown/recovery day

Easy = You can train for 6 hours at this pace and maintain a conversation and not be sore the next day

Medium = You feel like working and after 2 hours, this feels quite hard (like Marathon race pace)

Hard = +/- Short Course race pace. You can do this for a 5-10K road race and your lungs are on fire the whole time. Notch it down a bit for an Olympic tri, jack it up a bit for mile repeats on the track or 400m intervals in the pool.

I think even a 9 hour Ironman guy like Fleck would likely agree with the above. Just doing the miles and having fun doing it has become underrated in today's world of tri :-)

You can figure all of the 4 zones above with a year of training and some trial and error using perceived exertion or a good coach will be able to figure this out for a client with a simple 1 mile pace test.

I can't believe all the MOP folks relying on VO2max, HRM's, power meters, lactate testing and other gizmos, when just getting out the door and training 7-10 hours a week Easy is what is really needed to improve performance.

Ian, as a coach, if I can give you one piece of advice as a coach for MOP folks, keep the programs really simple and convenient. Keep the training fun and don't make your athletes slave to spreadsheets or gadgets (which is the impression I got from Kittycat's recent posting on training 7 days a week). If you embed a love of the sport into your clients (as opposed to the sport being a chore), then they will come back year over year, post PB's and refer others to you.

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next