Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

keep buying different trainers but keep getting injured
Quote | Reply
HI

I have bought loads trainers in the last 3 years but as it says in the title i keep getting inured
I was running in brooks ST5 then they stopped doing them and did a completely different trainer instead which didnt work for me,

I then tried various others and ended up with adidas adizero tempo 9 shoes. I run just under 3 hours open marathon and 3:20 Ironman pace. the Addidas feel comfortable and quick but again 5 weeks ago i torn my soleus and 10 weeks before that had achillies problems. I actually do 3 strength sessions a week and come from a boxing background so done thin its my strength that needs sorting

I seem to run for about 14 weeks and get to a peak of fitness then boom an injury comes along, I just wanted to know if anyone has quite a few injuries and which trainer they went for which helped them

I have been advised of On cloud or hoka clifton by a few people but just wondered if anyone can help
Quote Reply
Re: keep buying different trainers but keep getting injured [Paul G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not the shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: keep buying different trainers but keep getting injured [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
It's not the shoes.

thanks

Didn’t actually blame any of the trainers, I was asking for people’s opnions If they are or were injury prone did a trainer of any sort help.
Last edited by: Paul G: Jun 14, 18 15:56
Quote Reply
Re: keep buying different trainers but keep getting injured [Paul G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been injury prone for a long time but what seems to be working for me at the moment is the BarryP approach. It's something often recommended around here.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2548394
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll get as many opinions about shoes as there are grains of sand in the desert.

I'd suggest you go and get some gait analysis and see if you have a structural/biomechanical issue.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: keep buying different trainers but keep getting injured [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
You'll get as many opinions about shoes as there are grains of sand in the desert.

I'd suggest you go and get some gait analysis and see if you have a structural/biomechanical issue.

That is certainly true. I was thinking I am going to quit my day job to become a perpetually injured triathlete.

I train and use barefoot flats (Merrells) basically 24/7. My Runscribe data also shows these shoes to have the lowest shock (g). My injuries, which are exposed by running, were caused by major ankle injuries (way back) and by repetitive stress/trauma from other sports. Not to mention poor posture and gait.

I worked through my right leg, it's good now. Am working through issues with the left at the moment. Not too bad, am PR'ing across the board so happy I can put one foot in front of the other.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't been injured this year, bought new Hoka Bondi 5s in January.

#anecdata

Though they do make my feet numb after about 5km, and the outsoles have worn rapidly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tore my soleus years ago from over doing it on harder shoes and went to softer shoes. I originally went to Altra but now a Hoka convert and run in most of the more racing models loving them so much because due to their softness I don't get soreness or running injuries any more. Personally I find the Clifton too soft but was my go to shoe after coming back from an accident. I like the Clifton which is harder but still soft and my go to now is the Clayton that is slightly harder and different feel again. I have had no running injuries since and maybe other softer brands out there but I'm a soft shoe convert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that you either have a weakness/imbalance that negatively affects your gait, or that you simply run too much, too hard.
Quote Reply
Re: keep buying different trainers but keep getting injured [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul G wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
It's not the shoes.

thanks

Didn’t actually blame any of the trainers, I was asking for people’s opnions If they are or were injury prone did a trainer of any sort help.
You didn't blame the trainers but you're looking to them for the solution.
Surely you'd be better served trying to figure out what's causing all the injuries?

If anything I would be saying you should wear trainers that eliminate crutches which may be enabling bad habits so that, if it's technique related, you're in with a better chance of identifying what's not right. So less cushioning and less support would be my approach, but I know the majority are likely to disagree with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6656813#p6656813 and the BarryP were the 2 best pieces of advice you got in this thread

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul G wrote:
HI I seem to run for about 14 weeks and get to a peak of fitness then boom an injury comes along, I just wanted to know if anyone has quite a few injuries and which trainer they went for which helped them

I was much the same way.... injuries every year after peak fitness. Had to learn to take breaks, not run long every single week, let my body recover.
Quote Reply