Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting?
Quote | Reply
im starting another training program for 1/2 GFT, and i just lifted two days ago for the first time in a while, and my legs are really sore. Is it worth it to do an intense bike workout (all out TT), or will i just be damaging my legs so much i wont really gain any benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [apolack1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you lifting? Skip the lifting and concentrate on building your power at threshold.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That really doesnt answer my question, but, im lifting to eliminate muscular imbalances i tend to get. When i didnt lift in the past, i got injured.
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Unless the poster has some inherent weakness or muscle imbalance that needs to be worked on, he/she would be better to do the resistance training on the bike - hill repeats, big gear sessions etc . .

It's been proven that weight lifting in the gym has little or no connection to improved performance in the real world unless the weight lifting action EXACTLY replicates the action out in the field.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [apolack1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard that if you run (especially intensive running) after you lift, your chances of getting injured rise greatly.

That's why most people lift before they swim; it's a none-impact sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That soreness is muscular damage. I'd probably give the workout a go and if not running as fast as the last couple of weeks bag it.
I'd personally start with a lifting program of lighter weights and maybe 2 sets for the first couple of weeks to allow my body time to adapt to the weight training.
If your sore you might want to rethink when your doing intense B&R workouts. Is it possible to move those prior to lifting? ie run AM lift PM.
or can you lift say MF and do a hard run TH and ride Sunday?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, if your legs are very sore as you say, then doing a high intensity workout is pretty risky. Drop the effort to moderate and add some time. You might want to go a bit easier on the weight training so that you can get your quality specific workouts in.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you need to lift, don't lift so hard as to get so sore. Start with less weight, and give your body some time (like weeks) to acclimate. If you need to lift so hard that you get sore, you have to treat that as one of your hard workouts, and give your body time to recover.

Is this a quads vs. hamstrings kind of imbalance, as opposed to a left/right thing?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on his age. Master (40) and over should include lifting in their program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i usually dont get sore, but the first lifting session after a long break always hurts. And its a left/right imbalance. Also, i find improving the muscles around my knee help with kneecap tracking
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Agreed. Unless the poster has some inherent weakness or muscle imbalance that needs to be worked on, he/she would be better to do the resistance training on the bike - hill repeats, big gear sessions etc . .

It's been proven that weight lifting in the gym has little or no connection to improved performance in the real world unless the weight lifting action EXACTLY replicates the action out in the field.

wow--that's a hard hitting statement. Can you refer me to a source(s) so I could do some research on that?

I struggle with rather or not to do weight training, but find that it makes me swim stronger...however if I lift on my legs I'm sore for an eternity which interferes with bike, run, etc.

When I ran only I was very puny form not lifting and really had no muscles at all. when I started lifting again I had to use the powder blue baby weights for arm curls. I was shocked!
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may find some information on this at Peak Performance online:

http://www.pponline.co.uk/

PPonline is actually the BEST reasource point for endurance training information on the web. However, a warning - a number of the common principals/beliefs of endurance training( such as need for weight lifting) get tossed right out the window.

I hope this helps.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, getting back to the poster's question...

My vote is to rest and heal up a bit. No doubt you've really tore down your muscles and have tons of lactate. Don't be surprised if it takes you more than 3 days to recover. If you want to do something, do a LSD (longer slow distance) to help you legs generate blood, clear out the lactate, etc. Right now avoid doing anymore tearing down, because you really have a huge potential to injur yourself right now. Plus, you won't get as much out of the workout. If you do the lactate training now, it could take you even longer to recover and you would probably be too tired to finish out the week's training session.

Adapt your plan>>>this is where experience and smarts come into play. Do LSD instead (and seiously, it needs to be slow, but not an epic length. Do something for 1.5 hours, and no longer)

good luck-kittycat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muscular adaptation when returning to lifting takes time. Build slowly into your weight program. It is best to allow the soreness to go away before returning to any type of intense exercise as you describe. After you get used to lifting again the soreness won't be as pronounced but it's worthwhile to ensure that you go "fresh" into a hard workout like the one you described.

As to the comments that weight lifting is not beneficial to improved performance in the real world I strongly disagree. Well tailored weight programs are essential to endurance athletic success.
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Depends on his age. Master (40) and over should include lifting in their program.

Hmm, them's strong words. I'm 46 year old, and I don't lift. I do all my strength training by swimming, biking, and running. What's going to happen to me since I don't lift?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could be correct. I was stating what I had read from Dave Scott and the Training Bible. Both say masters should lift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh, I don't have too much to add to what is already said, however from my own experiences...

1) I wouldn't worry about injury from a hard bike workout. If you were talking about a running workout I might suggest otherwise. If it's been a few days since the weight workout you should be able to generate a qualtiy effort. Warm up well as the soreness will really suck for the first few minutes, but then the pain will dissipate. You might find that the soreness has disappeared completely the day after your ride.

2) if you are gung ho about about leg workouts, (and as a flatlander I swear by them) try to do them after the ride or run so that you get the most possible quality from your race specific workouts.

My 0.017 Euro
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of people out there that do not believe in incorporating weights into the program and a lot who do and it can be debated forever. Personally I think you need some type of "core" strengthening, but not necessarily weights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're starting back into base training? I'm not sure why there would be a hard TT scheduled, or is it a race you'd like to do for fun?

Also, out of curiosity what type of injuries did you get when not lifting? I'm injured right now and wondering if I shouldn't have lifted more consistently.

i just started lifting as well after a long break from it (8 months, and i just finished muncie about 10 days ago). my initial urge was to jump right back into things and beat the hell out of my body and then let it recover. i know this sounds stupid, but it's just the initial impulse--i may be alone on this one. luckily i did some research (on this forum, actually) and found gordo byrn's tips for weights. his system is very different than what i am used to--for the first 6-8 weeks you do about 10 exercises, but only one set each. after a couple of sessions of this, i am sore but not to the point where i feel it during subsequent workouts. as far as your current dilemma, bag the workout. the LSD workout suggestion is a great one--treat the weights as a hard workout and then use the LSD as a recovery to move the blood/lactate around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO!!!!!!

You don't get in shape working out, you get in shape recovering from workouts. If you aren't recovered, then the next workout is just doing more damage. Do a recovery workout instead. Try a long zone 1/2 ride. Build endurance while you're waiting for the legs to heal.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cuz'E wrote: NO!!!!!!
You don't get in shape working out, you get in shape recovering from workouts.

BINGO! That's the answer.

FWIW, I lift a little now, it seems as long as I straight-legged dead-lifts, my lower back doesn't hurt. As soon as I stop, the pain comes back. I NEVER do legs except on the bike and run. I have a buddy that does Left leg, and upper body a couple of times a week...he had a severe imbalance...correcting it with weights has been very good for his performance.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Well tailored weight programs are essential to endurance athletic success."

I'm curious what justification you have for this statement. Not trolling :), I just haven't read much research to support the statement.
Quote Reply
Re: is it ok to do intensity workouts with very sore legs after lifting? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I'm not so sure that research supports this. While I certainly haven't read all studies I have read quite a few. True most show that weight lifting doesn't make you faster when done for relatively short periods of time. My questions are have any studies been done which take into account muscle imbalances or strength lose due to aging. If weight lifting prevents overuse ijuries and allows you to continue biking more regularly then it is beneficial. Also, master lose muscle mass, which weightlifting can help slow, which may also be beneficial. Finally most studies done in exercise science show a percentage of people who benefit vs a percentage who don't. Even if 98% of people don't benefit from weightlifting the poster may be in the 2% who does.

Reply to:

Quote Reply

Prev Next