Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

is chlorine bad for wetsuits?
Quote | Reply
My first open water race this season is on the early side and I doubt I'm going to get in any real open water swims before hand. I know I'll probably melt with my wetsuit on in the pool, but will the chlorine ruin the rubber? I'd obviously rinse it off right afterwards.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: is chlorine bad for wetsuits? [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lesson I learned in scuba diving - both chlorine and salt water can break down neoprene quite quickly. Rinsing immediately after use makes a big difference in their life expectancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 or 20 minutes a few times to get used to the new suit won't hurt it. Just don't do complete workouts regularly, and be sure to rinse it well.

I have a 16 year old QR that I cut the legs off of about 10 years ago. I"ve used the cut off legs in place of a pull buoy about 50 or 60 times, and it's still in one piece.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonathan,
Be sure to use some wetsuit shampoo to get it really clean, and then rinse it well. That is something that really should even be done after open water swim. You may even use some mild soap to clean it if you can't get hold of wetsuit shampoo. In a perfect world you'll have a wetsuit repair kit which has Body Glide, wetsuit cement and wetsuit shampoo.
Good luck in your race.
Herbert
Quintana Roo/Litespeed
Quote Reply