Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

injuries
Quote | Reply
i was running yesturaday and i rolled my ankle in a pot-hole. it hurt pretty bad and it's swelling a fair amount. i was wondering what would be best for treating it. ie: ice & heat, just ice etc....

If a man does his best, what more can we ask?
Quote Reply
Re: injuries [trikid15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R.I.C.E. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate. I do Ice 20 min on 20 min off.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the RICE thing for the first 48 hrs. If things aren't improving consider going for an x-ray to rule out an evulsion fracture of the lateral malleolus. If so you're going into a below the knee walking cast for 4-6 weeks.

If it's a serious ligament sprain then you should see somebody to get it treated. Ultrasound treatments and taping or a flexible ankle support from the local ortho supply store is usually quite helpful. Don't use a tensor bandage because they give very little support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've probably strained one or both of these muscles:
http://www.rad.washington.edu/atlas2/peroneuslongus.html
http://www.rad.washington.edu/atlas2/peroneusbrevis.html

I've been experimenting with this massage position -- please tell me how it works! This is no joke ok? All the usual disclaimers apply. Let's assume you've sprained your right ankle.

Get a tennis ball.

Sit cross legged on the floor. Make sure the R leg is underneath the L one. Place tennis ball between floor and the side of your R calf, starting from below your knee.

Press your body into the R knee with your hands. If your hips are flexible, put your L foot on top of your R knee and press.

If it doesn't cause a shooting pain or tenderness, try a different spot. The entire lengths of those 2 muscles are fair game. It if hurts, keep your weight over it for 1 minute, 2 or as long as it takes for the pain to start to transform. I've gone as long as 5 - 10 minutes at high pressure for uber-stubborn muscles.

Bottom-line: wherever you find a painful spot, put pressure into it. Then, gentle stretch, ice, and apply arnical gel. Do multiple times each day if possible.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply