Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

i am lazy and moving to new jersey
Quote | Reply
lazy and busy, to be fair... between term papers, finals, and graduation (oh, and exercise every so often), i haven't found the time to figure out when/where i can race this summer. as of june, i'll be in the Rutgers area for the next 5-6 years. i plan to join RU's cycling team in the fall, but until then, I'd like to race tris, road cycling, mtb'ing, and the occasional 5-10k.

anybody have any suggestions? any webpages to direct me to? thanks for your help.

oh, and if your P3C doesn't fit, i'll give it a new home, and i won't even charge a stable or grooming fee.

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: i am lazy and moving to new jersey [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out raceforum.com for just about every race in the area (running, cycling, and tri's).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.metrotri.com

www.nytc.org

There's a local cycling club Highland Park Hermes; pretty sure they have an active yahoo group. I think a lot of the team does cyclocross too and there's a great race there in the fall.
Last edited by: one_lap: Apr 19, 05 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm not sure where rutgers is exactly, but my old tri coach, don fink lives in jersey and not only coaches triathletes, but runs a masters swim team where spencer smith swims. donfink.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be a senior at Rutgers next year, so If you want a cycling, running partner just let me know. In terms of pace i average about 20mph for my rides and 7 min/mile for my runs. I'm on the masters swim team at the Sonny Werblin rec center, and they have all sorts of meeting times, which is great. Send me an email if you're interested in meeting up. And also, New Brunswick is kinda a crappy city.

Justin
Quote Reply
Re: i am lazy and moving to new jersey [sleepy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unrelated to tri activities, mostly a rant on living in NB. After I graduated from college, I moved to NJ for work and I lived in New Brunswick right down the street from the Ale N' Wich and have to agree it's pretty much a shithole. My subletted apartment (with 2 RU students who got high every waking minute when they weren't working as waiters) was a craphole, the worst was the shower the size of a straightjacket that barely dribbled water on your head. Our apartment got broken into, as did my car, and my laptop, laundry $ and backpack got stolen.. I was thankful they didn't take my new puppy. Would occasionally go with friends to this scary bar (forgot the name) with loud music and neon paint on the wall that looked like a heroin addict convention. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) moved out to NJ from WI at the end of the summer and was less than thrilled with my living arrangments. Ended up moving to Sommerville only a few weeks later. I was running at the time, but always wondered where the hell you would bike in that area that a) doesn't have hooligans, and b) doesn't have much traffic. About the only thing I liked in NB were the grease trucks (who would have thought you could have french fries, chicken fingers and a burger all in the same sandwich?)

Much happier with the bike situation where I live now.
Last edited by: Ben in WI: Apr 19, 05 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
¿Cómo es su español? ¡Porque usted va a necesitarlo!

Cervesa, por favor.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: i am lazy and moving to new jersey [Ben in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for what it's worth, i'll be living in grad student housing on busch campus (in piscataway). so i'm not worried about that. and i grew up in east brunswick, so trust me, i'm more than familiar with new brunswick.

in general, though, thanks for the advice. i'll definitely check these out as soon as i pass my next couple of tests.

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: i am lazy and moving to new jersey [Ben in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The scary bar with the loud music was the Melody. And it was indeed painted by heroin addicts. Some of them were nice guys. Closed about 5 years ago. The owner just skipped town and locked the doors. Nobody had any idea what happened. As for the Ale'n'wich, I kinda liked it.

Some parts of NewB have gotten better, but I can't imagine living there again. There are some good hilly low-traffic rides if you head out toward bound brook and, ironically, sommerville.

mmm...fat cats....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you doing in grad school? I hope at least part of it is creative writing.
Quote Reply
Re: i am lazy and moving to new jersey [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i will be a PhD student in the Biomedical Engineering department. specifically, biomechanics and rehabilitation. not even a little bit related to creative writing. still, it's fascinating and it's important.

Quote Reply